Buying a Car...04 vs 06 VW Passat, which one?
Apr 19, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #46 of 67
So reconsider a used Passat from 2006/7?

I've driven the 2.0 TFSI at least 20-30 hours in the Passat, and tried 150hp 2.5L in a Jetta couple of times and I didn't think it was all that that bad. But the Passat was definately better.

I sometimes visit VWVortex, but I can't find some good 2.5L vs. 2.0TFSI comparo's. I'd really apprieciate it if you/someone could link me to one to show evidence for the 2.5i's poor performance.

MK5 GTI's are quite expensive used in our area, and the Jetta 2.0T (not the GLI) is impossible to find. The Passat is the cheapest 2.0T equipped car and its the biggest! I might have to live with hubcaps for a while but meh, I don't mind. I care more about the interior anyway.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Subaru? Aint gonna happen. Think clown car.

Eh?

2289595_2_full.jpg

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh?

2289595_2_full.jpg

I don't know subarus well enough to identify that car, but i've been inside a WRX. just barely.

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know subarus well enough to identify that car, but i've been inside a WRX. just barely.

I'm 6'2", not quite in your same boat but close. The car that's surprised me most lately is the Mini. My friend has one and I fit comfortably even in the back seat of that thing. Now I'm seriously considering a small European car of some sort. High gas mileage and not being too ugly are my main concerns.

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #50 of 67
So tomorrow I'm about to test a 2004 Accord V6 EX-V6 Coupe. It has 23k miles and is on sale for 16000. I'm wondering how it'll compare to the Passat.

The downside to the 04 Accord is it's absense of stability control. But I've decided I'd rather lose that than put up with the problems with the Passat.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So tomorrow I'm about to test a 2004 Accord V6 EX-V6 Coupe. It has 23k miles and is on sale for 16000. I'm wondering how it'll compare to the Passat.

The downside to the 04 Accord is it's absense of stability control. But I've decided I'd rather lose that than put up with the problems with the Passat.

I wanted one of those. Never did find one with a manual to test drive (turns out 2 door + manual is hard to find used), but all the reviews I read of them were great. They're really peppy cars, apparently, and have decent handling to boot. However, I'm thinking I might have to go for a 4-door something or other to lower the insurance costs.

Enjoy the ride!

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #52 of 67
They're nice cars, I've driven a few of them. They sure have a lot of power, compared to my older accord...but man.. they are HUGE HUGE cars in comparison.

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted one of those. Never did find one with a manual to test drive (turns out 2 door + manual is hard to find used), but all the reviews I read of them were great. They're really peppy cars, apparently, and have decent handling to boot. However, I'm thinking I might have to go for a 4-door something or other to lower the insurance costs.

Enjoy the ride!

Mine'll be the Auto since I can't get a hold of the manual either.

Long time since I've seen you around!
smily_headphones1.gif

Also... Cash68, do you know of anything I need to watch out for when buying it?

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #54 of 67
Not really, it's a honda. I would take it into a shop and have a mechanic check it out. It'll probably cost around $75 or so, but that's just a drop in the bucket if you're going to be spending 16k. By checking it out before you buy it, you'll not only notice any problems that are already existing, but they might spot something worth bargaining over... ie... if the exhaust is extremely rusty and about to fall off, maybe you can talk them down a few hundred bucks. That sorta thing.

Aside from that, you could just pop the hood and check the oil and transmission fluid. The oil should be light to dark brown, without any metallic glint in it. The transmission fluid should be red or slightly red orange. If it's orange and smells burnt, walk away, the transmission is screwed. Check underneath the car for leaks, run a carfax report to check for accidents, and give it a good test drive. Really though, it's a honda, and it's fairly new, so I doubt anything will be wrong with it. Good luck!

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #55 of 67
Yeah, I've been away for awhile. Busy with schools. Bit more free time now.

As to things to look for, a quick Google brought these two pages up. The first seems to have more pressing issues. In particular, automatic transmission issues and airbag issues. Might want to print that out and have the dealer confirm the work has been done.

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #56 of 67
Buy a Jetta TDI. Forget the other crap. 50 MPG, even with $4 diesel is great, and forget the losers that complain about quality - that was then. My TDI get's 50+ and just go's. Here's the clincher: my teenage son thinks is a sports car. 'nuf said.

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #57 of 67
FUD. what VW do you own? Thought so.

Quote:

Neither. Newer VWs= horrid reliability, high parts cost.

Everyone I know who has a newer VW says don't get one.

As far as pedal travel, it probably just means it's pads are almost shot. Once you put on new pads/rotors/fluid the travel will be very short. But again... don't buy a VW. They don't hold their value well, and they're pretty troublesome.

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #58 of 67
Um... why would I own a new VW if all my friends with newer VWs have lots of problems?

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #59 of 67
I love VW's and I have owned 2 of them and I feel like I need to tell you something. They are very unreliable and very ecentric. VW dealers are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to things like service and honesty. Instead of looking for the answer in the threads, maybe a trip to edmunds.com is in order, you can look at the number of service bullitens and recalls for the two cars and others if you like. Good Luck.

Edmunds.com - Maintenance Popup

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Um... why would I own a new VW if all my friends with newer VWs have lots of problems?

I had an 87 and a 99 and they all have problems. It looks like the 04 has 3 recalls and 20 service bullitens. The 06 has 3 recalls and 22 service bullitens. See what I mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back