Buyers remorse!
Jul 9, 2011 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mitchellhansen

New Head-Fier
I just ordered the SR225i from Amazon and I am already getting buyers remorse! Am I wrong to assume I could have found bettter headphones for the $200 range? Any help would be appreciated.
I also picked up the Fiio e11 but I am happy with that purchase =)

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 13
I haven't received them yet, I'm just not sure if I made the right decision between the SR225i's and the ESW9 or any other competitive cans. Mostly I'm worried that the SR225i's wont be comfortable as some reviews stated. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 13
Try using different pads. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 13
About the only headphone that is like a grado, but better and under $200 is the Senn HD598

But, as a starter I tell people to go for the Grado. Because they will last you a lifetime and Senn will last a couple years.

When you get them, enjoy them and don't think of returning them. Online returns will take 10-15% away from you because of restocking fees.

Later, get some G-cush earpads or start modding them.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 13
There's something about those lower end Grados I really admire -- just cannot put my finger on it.

The flat pads included on the SR60i, SR80i, SR125i, and SR225i are surprisingly comfortable. The headphone itself is very light and has very little clamping force making it nearly invisible on your head. Luckily, you didn't get the small bowls, as I found those to be horrendously uncomfortable. Never tried the jumbo bowls though. Comfort wise, I don't think you should worry. Worrying doesn't accomplish anything anyway. It never did.

Sound wise, I think you are in for a treat. Grados have a very special and addicting sound I'm sure you'll enjoy. Good luck -- we'd love to hear impressions once they arrive.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
There's something about those lower end Grados I really admire -- just cannot put my finger on it.

The flat pads included on the SR60i, SR80i, SR125i, and SR225i are surprisingly comfortable. The headphone itself is very light and has very little clamping force making it nearly invisible on your head. Luckily, you didn't get the small bowls, as I found those to be horrendously uncomfortable. Never tried the jumbo bowls though. Comfort wise, I don't think you should worry. Worrying doesn't accomplish anything anyway. It never did.

Sound wise, I think you are in for a treat. Grados have a very special and addicting sound I'm sure you'll enjoy. Good luck -- we'd love to hear impressions once they arrive.

There are two brand names that I have never tried due to some preconception from negative critics : Grado & BeyerDynamic. I do not care if they ( Grado) have colour sound signature but listener fatigue is a really turn-off for me. Beyer ( bright) also dscourage me to explore their sound signature.

Your rebuttal, please. I am all ears for learning.  

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 13
I too think you'll like the 225s. The highs are not near the 325s in piercing high end attack. Plastic cups on the 225s and metal on the 325s.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Hmm? What did you want me to rebut? I think I know what you want, but I'll make sure before I post.

Tell me they will not give me listener fatigue and make my ears bleeding with" extended high"  but also they have no veil as the HD595. Then I am okay. For you to know me better. I 'rather be with with Energy RC10 then the rest of the RC line. Coherency is a must.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 13
I actually do not believe these thin cushion can make that a lot of different until I tried it myself. The Comfy and the 414 make my Alessandros sound like a different phone just by using different pad. Well, Grado include foam padding in the "pizza box" and these material are cheap and yet a pair of L-Cushion can sold for $35 heh.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 13
Personally I love my L-Cush's (Bowl Pads). Whoelse is right in saying they change the sound quite a bit, and also offer different comfort. Some people prefer the 414 pads though. The 225's are great cans, and can get worlds better with modding, such as (but not limited to) dynamat on the back of the driver, recable, quarter mod for the comfies, screen replace, ad nauseum.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Tell me they will not give me listener fatigue and make my ears bleeding with" extended high"  but also they have no veil as the HD595. Then I am okay. For you to know me better. I 'rather be with with Energy RC10 then the rest of the RC line. Coherency is a must.

That's what I thought you meant...

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you if they'll give you listener fatigue or not. It's really quite different for everyone. And also, I've never owned the SR225i. I've had the SR80i and the RS1i. The SR225i would be the Grado I'd pick if I had to keep one though. Generally from what I've read, the SR225i is considered by many to be best in the prestige lineup. Some mention it's their favorite out of the entire Grado lineup. And for me, it's the furthest you can go up the line while still getting the light plastic black cups and flat comfy pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back