Buy this album now - Her majesty the decemberists
Dec 2, 2003 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.buyolympia.com/killrockst...e+Decemberists

For everyone here who claims to be an indie rock fan, this should be a essential purchase. The decemberists are a reltively new indie band, and they just released this amazing album a few months ago, i reccomend that everyone check it out.

And for you vinyl people, yes, there is a vinyl pressing, but it's hella rare. Mine is hand-numbered out of a series of 523, so if you want this album, pick it up now.

For anyone looking for more of a description, these guys are pretty simliar to neutral milk hotel in their style with perhaps a tinge more pop. Beautful songwriting, and a musically talented band, this is a wonderful album. I predict that these guys will make it big in the indie community ala modest mouse in the comming years. And it's 11 bucks, cheap ontop of everything else
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 25
Bought it about a month ago after reading the pitchfork review (they loved it to bits), and I absolutely hate it, I'd say its got about 3 listens max... there are one or two nice songs, but the vocal delivery is just too painful on my ears to listen for any length of time, whiney and distracting.

Dec 3, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 25
i say the album is really terrible at the beginning but gets progressively better towards the end... the earlier album is consistent and is wholly better... guy kinda sounds like john vanderslice..not that annoying
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 25
I saw them in concert here last night, and it was brutally fantastic. The lead singer, Colin Meloy, sounds pretty much identical on stage to his recorded voice, and that's a great thing, because he has a very unique and uplifting harmony. They played a mix of old and new stuff, and jammed a bit during songs like 'Los Angeles, I'm Yours', which sounded better live than on the record. They also played the ENTIRE new 18-minute EP, The Tain, which is hands down my favourite piece of their work. It is just unbelievable, and I urge you all to pick it up if you have any interest in these guys.

I love this band and have ever since I heard, 'Billy Liar's got his hands in his pockets/ standing, staring at the neighbours, knickers down/ he's got his knickers down.' Colin is a great storyteller and songwriter. Did you know he has a degree in English? Not that it matters, but it shows in his lyrics. These guys are going to be huge. Not commercially huge, but huge in a good way.

Cheers.

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 25
i saw them a while back in portland, i was really unimpressed. the new category of Wankmo (wankey emo) is what came to mind.

indie rock, imo, is kinda sputtering to an end. there's only so many bells and whistles you can add to a simple melody before it becomes trite.

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 25
You haven't listened to much indie rock, then =)

Indie rock is not a narrow genre; things like post-rock and inditronic rock are just now coming into the mainstream underground. Emo may be passe, but those emo bands have a lot of talent and are adapting to the times. And this garage rock resurgence can only get better.

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
You haven't listened to much indie rock, then =)

Indie rock is not a narrow genre; things like post-rock and inditronic rock are just now coming into the mainstream underground. Emo may be passe, but those emo bands have a lot of talent and are adapting to the times. And this garage rock resurgence can only get better.

LOL, that's a good one. I have so many indie cds and have seen so many indie bands (hell, they're all from the northwest, where i grew up) that it is clearly not a lack of indie that has made me feel this way about the decemberists.

i guess, if i really thought about it, it's more that i have listened to too much indie rock and am burnt out by most of it.

post rock and inditronic rock have been around since the early 90's

yes i still listen to the ass ponies and still get stoned to Amon Tobin, yes i still love Jim O'Rourke, and i forgive sam prekop for his neverchanging vocals, and i too clutch precious copies of "winners never quit" and "whole ep."

For the most part, emo bands don't have talent, they may have 1 talented band member, but they're not a bunch of uber musicians.

There's not been a songwriter that even comes close to Tom Waits or Bob Dylan from the "slanted and enchanted" generation.

dont' get me wrong, i'm tellin yah, i still love Dismemberment Plan and all that jazz!

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 25
That's ok sleepkyng, it's not your fault you have bad taste in music
wink.gif

And juniperlater, i hope you enjoy it. Apperantly, the decemberists sound just like their studio work live, which can sounds like a very, very good thing
smily_headphones1.gif
. I just wish i could see them
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 25
They are an interesting band. I like the earlier album, Castaways and Cutouts a bit more than Her Majesty. They play the Troubador here in LaLa land next Weds. I plan on being there. They have a unique sound that may be an aquired taste for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back