Buy reasonably or buy end game.
Aug 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #31 of 33
I'm a "buy once, buy quality, don't envy what I can't afford and be satisfied with my decision" purchaser. I live with that sound until the technology just obsoletes the existing device or you hear something that is a sufficient sonic value to replace. I'm not a numbers chaser.

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #32 of 33
When I look at the current hornet's nest around DSD DACs on a site like CA, I need to remind myself that the main protagonists represent a very small minority of this hobby, but they most definitely ARE numbers chasers. To me, end-game is when you say 'Hey, my current DAC doesnt even do DSD, but it makes me happy - why would I spend another cent ?'. If Charles Hansen is right, DSD is little more than a triumph of marketing over logic, but he bowed to pressure and updated the QB-9 for DSD64 - our end-game guy would have watched the whole sage unfold and just smiled.  

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #33 of 33
I agree with the above. To me I really could care less abouthi res support and i definitely don't care at all about DSD support. Considering like 99.5% of my library is redbook, and the other .5% is hi res.

I am a fan of advanced custom up/oversampling filters done in FPGAs though as compared to stock implementations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back