Buy reasonably or buy end game.
Aug 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 33
I think one of the used Anedio D2s off the classified section for around 1200 shipped is an obnoxiously good deal, that or a Yulong DA8 maybe? other than that the Audio-GD Master 7 for like 2300 shipped would be the only step up from there in that price range I would make.

I think some of the best values in dacs right now is the 1000-1500 dollar range

the m51 didnt do anything for me when i heard it, but after seeing the measurements on it at stereophile i feel like i need to give it another chance though...but I dont ever see me liking it more than the Master 7, that was the only dac i heard i knew right away was better than my D2 when I had it.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #17 of 33
Part of the joy of this hobby, is the progression to the next step... It gives you time to enjoy different products at different levels and get to know sound evolution through small steps till you reach the summit. Spend a reasonable amount and then start the journey from there. You will appreciate the adventure and also gain a keen sense of what your actual goal is while trying out different products.

Best of luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 33
At the moment my next step would be something like the concero but I've owned more expensive dacs before. I'm reaching a place in time where I'm not going to be trying out as much stuff so the reasonable upgrade will probably last me a while. I've heard good things about the D2 but it seemed more like a FotM to me instead of a solid choice. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #19 of 33
If you're stupid, try to find a good audio store that will allow you to audition some gear at a few different priced points.  You'll get a good a idea of what you can expect.   

I went through this with CD players.  I had been spending what I thought was a lot on CD players a while back ($500) and just for fun borrowed Ayre gear: their 3k CD player was on of the things I borrowed.  Well, that was a mistake.  I spent thousands on the Ayre gear and have since spent thousands more on other gear.  

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #20 of 33
Why do you have to be stupid to go to an audio store? That's exactly what I do. Thankfully, they carry non-head-fi stuff so to be honest, it's usually very difficult to buy stuff from there. The Naim and McIntosh are on the list since they're available at the store but I doubt I would get those. One of the guys at the store recommends the Naim over the McIntosh but after looking though other head-fiers experiences, it seems good but still not $2,400 good.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #21 of 33
So update:

I'm considering the

Lynx Hilo - $1850
Used Eximus DP - 1 - $2200
Fostex ~$1000
Concero ~650

The fostex just looks so good at that price point but my wife was telling me that I have a tendency to try them out and sell them (like everyone else here) so it might not hold it's value that great since I'd be importing it from Japan. Has anyone had experience with these dacs? I've read through the threads and it just makes it harder.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #22 of 33
I am looking to buy a DAC as well. But your research seems to be quite the opposite of mine. I am after certain audio performance criteria. You seem to be interested in price and what others say. Have you not got an opinion of your own about what exactly you are looking for?

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #23 of 33
The whole point of the forum is to be able to get input on what others say. If we all had the disposable income to try every single DAC before we decide on one, then we would only need this forum to keep track of what DACs are available. I am not limited to my own mind and am willing to listen to those who have heard more than me. If all you rely on is your own opinion, there is no need to post on this forum.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #25 of 33
As an update, I've actually settled with a resonessence concero for the dac and bought a Woo Wee + Stax Lambda Pro. I was thinking that the stax pair would change what I have the most. Plus, I really could not decide what I wanted to do DAC wise so might as well buy myself some time. :)

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
Sorry - no such thing as 'end-game', at least not for head-fiers :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604282/end-game-headphone-rigs-unicorns-and-other-myths

Lies, I think a fully decked out MSB DAC IV Diamond into a DIYT2 into a pair of Sr-009s wouldn't leave any room for improvement
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 33
I think there is an "end game". However, each person's end game is different because once you hit equipment that could buy you a car or house, it's just a matter of taste and not necessarily "better".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back