Buy "OSSIC X" or not?
Jun 21, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #76 of 301

Have you actually tried with the Ossic-X?  If you haven't then you can't really have an opinion on them - merely speculation.  I'm still looking forward to getting my pair and seeing what they can do.

Speculation is all what these threads are good for you know that :)  Can have opinions based on what they shown, the design, the marketing,  past experience etc etc :wink: Their marketing is questionable at best with a lot of lofty claims.Like the case of sound quality. But the Ossic X is 10x better then any other headphone in that regard so I guess that isn´t much of a worry ^^. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #77 of 301
Come now, Ossic X have never made claims to match any audiophile product on the market.  What I think sounds cool is instrument placement in a 3D environment around your head - with those positions staying fixed as you move your head around.  Hopefully by using the HRTF data these placements can be further and more defined than current headphone setups.  I have high hopes for the soundstage of the Ossic X, but not much else.

Its interesting to see if they can push the technology and obviously plenty of other backers out there do too.

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #78 of 301
They have indead claimed 10x better sound quality :wink:. Everybody would love the concept I just don´t believe they will deliver at all. They are not the first selling headphones on the promise of surround sound.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #79 of 301
Hey everyone!

I've got a 20$-off spare code that is going to expire by the end of this month, so if you are interested in getting one of these, please let me know and I'll send you the code.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #80 of 301
  When I heard them at CanJam they did what they said they would do. You turned your head and a different instrument sound was facing you. 

I don't even know why I would want that for listening to music? Doesn't make sense, if we are watching a live performance we face the stage and accept that if we shift our head the sound changes, and usually not for the better. I still don't understand the problem this solution solves? I think when I turn my head listening to music with headphones I don't want some strange interpretation of how the music has been repositioned being presented to me. Perhaps I just don't get it?

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #81 of 301
I don't even know why I would want that for listening to music? Doesn't make sense, if we are watching a live performance we face the stage and accept that if we shift our head the sound changes, and usually not for the better. I still don't understand the problem this solution solves? I think when I turn my head listening to music with headphones I don't want some strange interpretation of how the music has been repositioned being presented to me. Perhaps I just don't get it?
I don't know either . It doesn't change the music just allows you to change your perspective on where you are listening from.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #82 of 301
I don't know either . It doesn't change the music just allows you to change your perspective on where you are listening from.

True, still, while I don't get it (I'm a basic 2 channel audio fan) I will follow this thread and the Ossic X as I do like to know what is happening. I have heard some decent surround sound music albums before that did strike me as a worthwhile experience so maybe with more exposure to better quality surround sound albums I'll start to get it.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #83 of 301

Hopefully they have a "crossfeed-like" setting that keeps the time/intensity cues but limits the head tracking so that you get a better frontal presentation but you can't actually pan the music full L/R by turning your head.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #84 of 301

Hopefully they have a "crossfeed-like" setting that keeps the time/intensity cues but limits the head tracking so that you get a better frontal presentation but you can't actually pan the music full L/R by turning your head.

Now that would indeed be something.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #85 of 301
  Now that would indeed be something.

Well they are kind of banking on people plugging these things into a PC to get all the goodies, so I'd say success will partly be measured by how much they make me forget my 3.5mm cable. Having lots of these nice options might make my brain a bit foggy ^_^

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #86 of 301
The unknown for me with these headphones is how well they improve, if at all, immersion in VR when the source signal is stereo from a 3.5mm, not pre-processed by OSSIC's software. The problem is that I've read no reviews/testimonials of this particular use case. The current state of VR audio (Vive/GearVR/PlaystationVR/OculusVR) is to render a stereo signal based on the orientation of the HMD. In the case of the PlaystationVR, the platform I've chosen to adopt, a break-out box does the rendering of what's likely the raw game engine information into a stereo signal accessible via female 3.5mm attached to the HMD cable. I'd buy these headphones in a second if they significantly improved immersion in this application.

Open question for me:
1) What is the improvement in (a) audio quality and (b) positioning with an unprocessed stereo signal? That is, isolating the benefit of their HRTF implementation alone. 
2) What exactly is the proposed format for the direct game-engine OSSIC rendering? Will it always require OSSIC software processing or will you ever be able to hook the OSSIC X into a device (smartphone, Playstation) and have it receive the proper pre-rendered information as OSSIC intended from the game-engine?

Things I'm confident about
1) In a world where the headphone is connected to a PC running OSSIC software and where that software is directly connected into a game engine, you WILL get ground breaking improvement in VR immersion.
2) OSSIC's software stereo signal filtering sounds more natural than without their software

So, I'm having a hard time evaluating the value of these when you takeaway their PC software processing. I don't intend on using these with a PC, and the value of them on their own, with only a 3.5mm delivered stereo signal doesn't seem substantial. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #87 of 301
  So, I'm having a hard time evaluating the value of these when you takeaway their PC software processing. I don't intend on using these with a PC, and the value of them on their own, with only a 3.5mm delivered stereo signal doesn't seem substantial. 

If the game engine has already done HRTF processing, then you basically want the OSSIC to just act as a normal "dumb" stereo headphone, otherwise you're doubling-up on the HRTF. They're banking on you connecting these via something digital. At best a 3.5mm connection could deliver some kind of matrix content that could then be decoded and virtualized (e.g. Dolby Surround/Pro-Logic).

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #88 of 301
I still don't get the purpose of these now that I think about it. VR already does change the perspective of the sound from what I hear. It was neat listening to them as you turned you head you had a different part of the music in front of you but I'm not going to sit and listen to music and keep swinging my head around.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #89 of 301
It´s indeed very hard to find any use for these headphones. Spend the money on VR headsets instead to get the complete package. An easy way to fix the swinging head around is sit in an office chair. Only way to watch 360 videos while not standing. It has great potential but need to fix the resolution and fisheye. 180 degree videos may get more popular though and is a bit more practical. To spend the money on audio and no picture to go with it. Indeed why?

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #90 of 301
  It´s indeed very hard to find any use for these headphones. Spend the money on VR headsets instead to get the complete package. An easy way to fix the swinging head around is sit in an office chair. Only way to watch 360 videos while not standing. It has great potential but need to fix the resolution and fisheye. 180 degree videos may get more popular though and is a bit more practical. To spend the money on audio and no picture to go with it. Indeed why?

Have you heard them? Was it just music?  What did you think? Any impressions?  How was the sound sig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back