Buy "OSSIC X" or not?
May 4, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #61 of 301
Thanks for input on music! I was waiting to see some review on music input. So like, would u be able to enjoy the music sitting still? Or would u have to constantly move ur head to get the whole picture?

I just got the notice of your reply today. Really weird. I think there are better cans for listening to music and I think this would be good for a VR setup but for just listening to music I don't think it would be worth it to me.
Here is a pic of the prototype and I believe the black ones are what they think the final version will look like.
iPhone pic sorry for the quality.

May 4, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #62 of 301
  I just got the notice of your reply today. Really weird. I think there are better cans for listening to music and I think this would be good for a VR setup but for just listening to music I don't think it would be worth it to me.
Here is a pic of the prototype and I believe the black ones are what they think the final version will look like.
iPhone pic sorry for the quality.

They are promising 10x the sound quality though :wink:. I don´t think they will sound good whatsoever but would be fun to try of course.

May 4, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #63 of 301
  They are promising 10x the sound quality though :wink:. I don´t think they will sound good whatsoever but would be fun to try of course.

They sounded good but not as good as my Ether-C's but better than a lot of others. I didn't listen to close on the sound signature but was listening to the positional aspect of the cans.

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #67 of 301
That article is encouraging, but - since I have one on order - I'm discounting all preview hype as much as possible.

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #68 of 301

Is the YouTube app phone-tracking audio working for anybody else? Not working here, darn.

You maybe need to update your YouTube app. 

https://youtube.googleblog.com/2016/04/one-step-closer-to-reality-introducing.htm ​

It also doesn't work on the PC browser it seems... the Audio stays 1 way for me, doesn't change when i move the camera

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #69 of 301
hell no. though on principle i wont ever again buy anything from a kickstarter company or from massdrop or from bullSchiit audio.  it took companies like sennheiser years to get their respect and quality, but all these companies like audioquest are coming and fully catering to the iDiot crowd. I wouldn't mind if they had quality products, but tired of all the thousand dollar hdmi cables and the emperors new clothes headphone amps.

[Mod Edit - removed profanity]

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #70 of 301
  hell no. though on principle i wont ever again buy anything from a kickstarter company or from massdrop or from bullSchiit audio.  it took companies like sennheiser years to get their respect and quality, but all these companies like audioquest are coming and fully catering to the iDiot crowd. I wouldn't mind if they had quality products, but tired of all the thousand dollar hdmi cables and the emperors new clothes headphone amps.

[Mod Edit - removed profanity]

Given the pedigree of some of the people involved in the project, I'm pretty hopeful - and looking forward to getting my pair.

I know your comment above was a generalisation - but adopting that to everything would mean missing out on some of the really good KS - like 64Audio's Adel tech, and also Trinity Audio. I guess I have a different outlook.  i research thoroughly before committing - but if it looks as though it is technically vioable, and the people look genuine - I see no issue with taking a risk. I genuinely think Ossic have something both affordable and evolutionary here.  I guess time will tell. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #71 of 301
I think some people are missing a key point. Head tracking on these headphones for vr is irrelevant. Certainly the flaw in using headphones in a home theater environment with a typical screen is that the screen stays in place while the audio moves with your head.
This breaks the immersion in a home theater environment.

With vr, the screen is moving with your head, and the sound is moving with your head. Therefore there is no disconnect. 
The only thing they need to get right here is hrtf calibration, and if the headphone sounds like crap with 4 drivers in a closed can (I'd bet on it) then the fidelity won't be available for proper hrtf.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #72 of 301
  I think some people are missing a key point. Head tracking on these headphones for vr is irrelevant. Certainly the flaw in using headphones in a home theater environment with a typical screen is that the screen stays in place while the audio moves with your head.

With vr, the screen is moving with your head, and the sound is moving with your head. Therefore there is no disconnect. 
The only thing they need to get right here is hrtf calibration, and if the headphone sounds like crap with 4 drivers in a closed can (I'd bet on it) then the fidelity won't be available for proper hrtf.

I made this same point earlier in the thread. Head tracking on headphones is irrelevant for VR gaming because the sound in the game engine will automatically change when you turn your head.

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #73 of 301

I have been playing with my Vive for a week and yes it´s a bloody immersive experience with regular headphones. I still don´t understand the ossix x hype.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #74 of 301
  I have been playing with my Vive for a week and yes it´s a bloody immersive experience with regular headphones. I still don´t understand the ossix x hype.

The onus on OSSIC for VR is to provide better virtualization than the averaged-based HRTF modeling that comes out-of-the-box. "Can it make it more bloody immersiver?" If not, then the hype means nothing.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #75 of 301

Have you actually tried with the Ossic-X?  If you haven't then you can't really have an opinion on them - merely speculation.  I'm still looking forward to getting my pair and seeing what they can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back