Buy "OSSIC X" or not?
Jun 9, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #166 of 301
Don't get it?

I mean: when they actually had to hand hard cash back to a backer they saw that there was a chance of having to so that again so they put up a social media posting explaining what they were proposing for the developer tier. It would explain the timing.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #168 of 301
They said the final shipping is sometime in Oct, but I don't expect that us late backer will get anything until early 2018.

They just released an app overview recently!

I am actually pretty stoked about these. They might just replace my studio monitors if the sound quality is up to scratch. Plus it would make it easier to produce music on the go.

In addition I am a huge VR buff and with games like Thief using binaural sound rendering and more studios catching on hearing sound more accurately would be a huge plus. Most current surround tech is either entirely virtualized on stereo sets or splits sounds between tiny speakers and in my experience none have been very good at emulating sound distance or direction accurately. Most sound like someone playing footsteps through a speaker stuck in a tin can. Or it just sounds warped to mask the software's inability to cater to your ears.

So I will be quite a happy camper to receive mine.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #169 of 301
Gimmicky AF. Just buy a headphone that already proved it's worth

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #170 of 301
Gimmicky AF. Just buy a headphone that already proved it's worth

So you've heard them then - what were they like?

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #171 of 301
So you've heard them then - what were they like?
I haven't heard them and I don't quite plan to. If I was able to demo a pair i wouldn't mind trying but their ads sure have a ton of buzzwords. I'd stick with a reputable brand until more people review these

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #172 of 301
So you're giving an opinion on something you haven't experienced and saying its gimmicky? You do realise what the site's rules say about this right?

https://www.head-fi.org/articles/posting-guidelines.14048/
Please don't recommend or post reviews of equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with. You wouldn't recommend someone a car you've never driven or suggest someone live in a country you haven't been to, so recommending headphones and equipment you haven't owned or used is unhelpful. Even if you've seen the same comments about something from a dozen members, save discussion of that if you're intending to buy it yourself. Likewise, People use the reviews in the Head Gear section to decide what product to buy, and brief impressions or comments by people who don't own a product (or at least haven't had it in their possession for a sufficient amount of time) are unhelpful.

Similarly, please avoid trashing equipment you haven't used or aren't familiar with. Having doubts about something you see in a design is fair enough, but to quote Robert Pirsig: "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." It is quite possible to derive satisfaction from listening with any audio gear as much from your appreciation of the design (whether how it looks or how it measures) as much as how it reproduces music. No method of appreciation is "wrong".

If you haven't experienced it yet - you don't have a valid opinion. Please don't do this.

And yes - my Moderator cap is on.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #173 of 301
Well I've heard them twice now and really don't see the need for them myself other than VR as the demo they had at SoCal this year was really cool but for listening to music I just don't get it as I like to sit and listen to music and not spin my head around making it change where it's coming from. I think they are more of a novelty rather than a gimmick because it does work well but to me for VR only for music not so much.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #174 of 301
I don´t understand why they are needed for VR? Headtracking on both rift and vive for example is much much better then what ossic X supplies and it´s used for positional audio already? This calibrating sensors how do they work without x-raying my ear canals? If they would offer a refund some weeks after purchase I could take the gamble but I am quite sure it´s a hoax and will not work as they advertize. Though I also want 10x as immersive sound as regular headphones :p

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #175 of 301
I dont disagree here in regards to VR since their headtracking defaults to the one on the headset. Call me crazy but I think they mentioned that they use high frequency scanning of some sort to measure your ear details to calibrate the sound to YOUR ears. Take that and couple it with the fact that they have the individually placed speaker units and you can see how this would be superior to the positional audio with a regular stereo set. Plus they mentioned working with WWise and other game audio middle ware to implement the solutions in Unity, Unreal and CryEngine such that dev content can work with the OSSIC post fact or so that audio can be tuned to take better advantage of what OSSIC has created.

As for using them to listen to music, I would say quality might not be mind blowing based on my past experience with multi-speaker headphones. At the end of the day its simple economics it is reasonable to expect good materials for the magnets(neodymium) and for the diaphragm as well as the cabling(like CCAW) in a good stereo set, but they would not make money trying to pack such quality parts into a pair of already tech heavy headphones with a multi driver array. Again,though, I will reserve any further judgement until I hear them myself.

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #176 of 301
Well don't know about the other VR units but on the demo they had it was little balls of music and you could catch them and move them around anywhere and that is where the sound was as you could throw it over your shoulder and the sound came from behind you as it slowly goes away. Do the other VR units do that ? Don't know as this was my only time using one. They might do something similar to the AKG N90Q's do I've forgotten how they do the self adjusting but you can read about it as more like sonar than x-ray.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #177 of 301
Just keep reminding yourself, why do I wanna buy this?

A. For gamers,
these headphones should be a great investment as they should provide a more immersive environment.
B. For audiophiles, not so much... The drivers and hardware are not focused on that.
C. For VR enthusiasts, again a great investment... lots of new techs to play with.
D. For wireless freaks, forget about it... its a cabled headphones

Any more categories? :)

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #178 of 301
Just keep reminding yourself, why do I wanna buy this?

A. For gamers,
these headphones should be a great investment as they should provide a more immersive environment.
B. For audiophiles, not so much... The drivers and hardware are not focused on that.
C. For VR enthusiasts, again a great investment... lots of new techs to play with.
D. For wireless freaks, forget about it... its a cabled headphones

Any more categories? :)

For VR, I thought the game would adjust the sound positioning if you turn your head (with Vive) if you have sound output to GSX 1000 7.1 virtualiser? Or am I missing something?

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #179 of 301
For me its pretty simple. I have tried Creative SoundBlaster's "3D" audio I have also sampled AMD's TrueAudio, SteelSeries virtual 7.1, Razer Tiamat(multi driver), and I have had multiple turtle beach 5.1 headsets that I have heard at friends houses. None and I mean none of those systems have ever felt natural. They are always lacking in some area.

For example I could be playing battlefield bad company and I could be on the top floor and a soldier would be on the bottom floor. With the Tiamat it always sounded like the guy is behind me, with turtle beach 5.1's(multiple driver) I sort of got the idea that the person is below me, but if they were moving around I could not tell where they are moving to and from. Steelseries has very warped sounds that do not really give the direction away precisely.

AMD's solution to me always seemed to work better with an actual 5.1/7.1 speaker setup than with headphones.

Creative's solution is might expensive considering you need to have their top of the line consumer card. ANd the result is underwhelming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back