Buy Beyerdynamic Dt990 Pro or Edition
Aug 22, 2012 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Graskar

New Head-Fier
Hey folks

I need a good advice.

I have to choice between Dt 990 Pro or the Edition. Not sure which to go for.
I gonna get a Azuentech soundcard to.

Seeing the forums seems like Dt990 Edition is better than Pro. But is it really "Better" ?

I don't wanna buy te Dt990 and get a feeling that I could get something Waaay better if I went for the Dt 990 Edition...

So people what's your choice?

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 6
You should hear them both for yourself ..
The difference between the 2 models is comparable to what happens with the sound if you press
your phones tighter against your head. I wouldn't say that one sounds objectively 'better' than the other,
it's mostly a matter of personal preferences ..

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/service/faqs/faq-for-headphones.html#fo546

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 6
Not related to sound quality, but the "edition" also:
- looks better (well, maybe not for everyone)
- has a long straight cord, while the pro is coiled (it depends on your preferences which one is better)
- includes a carrying case
The drivers are identical, but the pro version is normally 250 Ω only.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Hey folks
I need a good advice.
I have to choice between Dt 990 Pro or the Edition. Not sure which to go for.
I gonna get a Auzentech soundcard to.
Seeing the forums seems like Dt990 Edition is better than Pro. But is it really "Better" ?
I don't wanna buy te Dt990 and get a feeling that I could get something Waaay better if I went for the Dt 990 Edition...
So people what's your choice?

So, it's the Beyer DT990 Pro 250-Ohm verses the DT990 Premium (Edition 2005), which comes in 32-Ohm, 250-Ohm, 600-Ohm.
The Premium version has a slightly lighter clamping force on the head over the Pro version.
The DT990 Premium 600-Ohm is slightly better sounding then the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, but it's not way better sounding.
I would say for now just to get the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, it's cheaper and easier to drive then the 600-Ohm.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 6
I prefer the pro specifically because it has more clamping force.

The velour pads are soft enough that even with the extra pressure, it's nowhere even close to being uncomfortable. But on the flip side, I absolutely CAN'T STAND headphones that feel like they are constantly about to fall off of your head because they don't have enough clamping force.

The Pro's also tend to be cheaper, which is a nice bonus.  I also somewhat prefer the more industrial look.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
The velour pads are soft enough that even with the extra pressure, it's nowhere even close to being uncomfortable.

Agreed, +1
Also buying the cheaper one gives you more cash towards a DAC & amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back