Buy a dedicated headphone amp or use my Marantz Stereo Amplifier?
Oct 7, 2010 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

PhaedraCorruption

100+ Head-Fier
Like the thread title says, I currently own a Marantz Model 1250 Console Stereo Amplifier, and I'm about to make my first real investment in headphones, I'm considering either the HD600s, HD650s or DT880s.

Would there be a problem driving it with this amp via headphone input jack or would I be better off just buying a dedicated headphone amp? I'm on a very tight budget and would prefer to not to spend any more money on more stuff. I have a Parasound DAC 1000 right now so I would think it's safe to say my source is clean.

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 12
just try it - I'm using a big, vintage pre-amp to drive all my headphones - and it sounds fantastic.

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 12
Those big stereo amplifiers are better than you think. Besides they (can) have some very interesting features with better controls. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 12
Wrong premise - there's no such thing as 100% - especially since you claim to be on a tight budget. You try your new headphones, enjoy, and then upgrade if / when your mood and budget permit. 

Quote:
Problem is, I have nothing to really compare to, so I won't know if I'm getting all that 100% from my cans.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 12
I can only agree. I use my headphones via my CD-players and they have plenty of juice to power my powerhungry headphones. I am now checking out DACs and maybe DACs with good amplifiers if the budget allows it. In the long run I prefer to upgrade slowly until I can safely confirm what works and does not work for me.

Marantz/Philips is a sometimes underestimated producer of audio gear. There are gems to found if you know what you are looking for and the prices are right.     

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 12
I have some Marantz Reference Series components with built-in headphone amps.  They intentionally installed excellent headphone outputs on these units and they are very good for a component that does other things.  However, when the funds are free, you'll still find much better performance from a dedicated headphone amp.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 12
I have two vintage Marantz receivers -- a 2238B in the bedroom and a 2218 in the "party barn" (long story). Both are more than adequate with most cans, including T1s and HD650s. Not as good as my A-GD C2, mind you, but still pretty good.

Try your headphones with the Marantz before you sink money into anything else. You might just like the results.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
I have some Marantz Reference Series components with built-in headphone amps.  They intentionally installed excellent headphone outputs on these units and they are very good for a component that does other things.  However, when the funds are free, you'll still find much better performance from a dedicated headphone amp.

Which dedicated amp? If the built-in HP amps are "excellent", does that mean that any old dedicated amp is going to be better than excellent? There's no universal law that says because an amp is dedicated to a particular purpose it's going to sound better than another amp that happens to be multi-tasking. Hi-Fi is much more complex than that.

Not trying to be argumentative (not that it's an effort
smily_headphones1.gif
, but you see my point.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Which dedicated amp? If the built-in HP amps are "excellent", does that mean that any old dedicated amp is going to be better than excellent? There's no universal law that says because an amp is dedicated to a particular purpose it's going to sound better than another amp that happens to be multi-tasking. Hi-Fi is much more complex than that.

Not trying to be argumentative (not that it's an effort
smily_headphones1.gif
, but you see my point.

The Marantz Reference Series I used (and still have some components) was the 17 Series.  These components used upgraded components for the headphone output with separate volume control and actually sounded pretty good.  They were "excellent" when compared to other home stereo components or portables that were also equipped with headphone outputs.  That breed of lesser components were what started the whole idea of using a dedicated headphone amp to allow one to fully appreciated the quality of good headphones.  Even today, when I compare the headphone output of my Marantz Reference 17 Series components to my Pioneer home theater receiver or any portable listening device, the Marantz is "excellent."  However, when I compare my Marantz to my Sugden Headmaster or any ASL tube amp or Rogue Audio tubed headphone output stage, then the Marantz falls short.  It's all relative.  No doubt my Sugden pales in comparison to the current top-of-the-heap high-dollar amp.  I've spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours with headphones and headphone gear, and after all that, the Marantz still isn't too bad was never considered an after-thought on their Reference Series components.  This is just my experience, though, and hope that someone finds it helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back