You sure found a good one!!
Check out:

Psychic... Powerless... Another Mans Sac
Hairway to Steven
Independent Worm Saloon
Locust Abortion Technician

The 'Surfers are pure genius!

Sep 21, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Hairway to Steven actually got a rave review in The Abso!ute Sound, of all places...and it deserved it. I think my favorite quote of the review was that they sounded something like "the house band at the Apocalypse". This one is actually a turning point, as from then on they descended into accessability, more or less. Later work is still good, but doesn't quite have the touch of inspired madness (melody and chaos weaving together. for lack of a better way to describe it) that drove their earlier work. Locust Abortion Technician, IMO, is also one of their best, but with even less commercial potential.

Sep 22, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 7
Yikes, I am not intimately familiar with the Butthole Surfers, but I did see them play when they were in Melbourne, circa 1991.

My goodness - a cramped and humid venue, strobe lights that didn't let up even for a second, choice footage of eye surgery all on top of off-kilter music and Gibby's warped vocals (he stood at an effects unit most of the night just screwing with his vocals) made for what can only be described as an unsettling experience
rolleyes.gif

I would have hated to be under the influence of something that night (my friend was convinced that the girl standing next to us - who had earlier offered us some quality hallucinogens - was going to puke all over him). People keep recommending Locust Abortion Technician - I should try and chase it up.

Oh yeah - bottom line is if you do get a chance to see them, do - it will make for an evening you certainly won't forget!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back