Burson Timekeeper 3i
Apr 6, 2022 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

DeweyCH

Member of the Trade: Lithium Headphones
No idea why there isn't a thread for this amp/all-in-one yet. I've got one arriving tomorrow I'm excited to hear. I figure all the chit-chat about how the Susvaras are underdriven even by powerful headphone amps, and the Timekeeper drives them amazingly off the speaker taps, is probably worth something.

I've got a Conductor 3XP that I bought off the Classifieds here that really impressed me. It drives everything I have at least reasonably well, and it's a really solid Bluetooth DAC for when I want to drive my Quicksilver HPA instead. A little disappointed that there's no XLR output (or any balanced HP output), but it's an all-in-one that puts out 2WPC via the single-ended HP jacks and 100 WPC from the speaker taps.

Looking forward to experiencing it. Anyone have one that they can comment on?

Burson-Timekeeper-3i-S1.jpg

Specs:

MeasurementPackage Content
Input impedance: 40 KOhmsTimekeeper 3i Reference (R-200)USB Cable
Frequency response:± 1 dB 0 – 58KhzRemote Control24V / 5A Power Unit
THD: <0.0015%Power Cable
Output impedance (Headphone Amp):0.5 Ohm
Output impedance (Pre Out / DAC Out): 1 Ohm / 25 Ohm
General
Inputs: 1 x RCA line-level input, USB, Optical Toslink, BlueTooth 5.0, MicrophoneWeight: app. 5 kg
Outputs:1 x RCA Pre Amp, 1 X Line Level DAC Out, 2 x 6.3mm Headphone JackDimensions: 255mm x 270mm x 70mm
(Headphone)PowerSignal to Noise Ratio Separation
16 - 32 Ohm2W95db99%
Impedance (Speaker)
4 Ohm - 8 Ohm100W92.5db99%
DAC SpecUSB Spec
Channel Separation: 142 dB @ 1KHz, 135 dB @ 20KHzDesktop OS: Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 Mac OSX
THD+N: 0.0005% @ 1KHz, 0dBFSDesktop OS: iOS* , Android (OTG support)
COAX & Toslink / SPDIF : up to 24bit 192KPCM Support:PCM ≤ 768kHz @ 16, 24 or 32bits
Native DSD:Native DSD 64 / 128 / 256 / 512
Bluetooth InputBluetooth 5.0 aptX HD (Qualcomm CSR8675)DSD over PCM: DoP64 / DoP128 / DoP256/Dop512

Apr 7, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 32
Would you like to send it to me so I can provide impressions?

Apr 7, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 32
This thing is fabulous. Drives the absolute hell out of my Susvaras - run them on high-gain at 30 volume (it's got a smooth digital volume attenuator). Even on my more sensitive Rognir planars, running off the speaker taps with low gain and 5 (lol) volume, man, it gets everything out of them that they can give. This is my endgame SS amp. It wrenches clarity out of headphones, has soundstage for days (doesn't hurt that the Rognir and Susvara have significant soundstages themselves), and the bass is just north of neutral with great control.

IMG_3050.jpg

I've also got it running as the DAC for my Mogwai SE. Haven't tried that yet, but I will soon. It's a little on the hefty side, but for everything it offers - Bluetooth, dual-mono DAC, 100 WPC Class AB speaker amp and 2 WPC (at 32 ohm) SE headphone amp, it's hard to beat.

I'll be keeping this. Also keeping my Conductor 3XP. Maybe I'm becoming a Burson fanboy? They can join the club with ZMF.

Apr 7, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 32
Apr 7, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 32
We can't have TOO many of the same amps!
I just got the iCan... are you saying I should get a Timekeeper, too?

Remember when you were excited about the Mogwai? Wasn't that like three weeks ago?

Apr 7, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 32
I just got the iCan... are you saying I should get a Timekeeper, too?

Remember when you were excited about the Mogwai? Wasn't that like three weeks ago?
I still am excited about the Mogwai. That ain't going anywhere. Gonna have to have a purge soon though... and stop buying amps. I mean, really. We'll see what's harder, quitting buying amps every month or quitting smoking.

Apr 7, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 32
OK I'll be on the lookout for your classified listings in the next year or so

Apr 9, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 32
@DeweyCH Synergy with VC and Atrium ?
Looking to replace a RME ADI-2
Early impressions are it’s very good with the Atrium, haven’t tried the VC yet. Using the speaker taps for both and will try the SE Jack this weekend.

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 32
VC via SE output sounds very good. Not tube-amp good, but about as good as I've heard from a SS amp. Bass is a little less than I'd typically like/expect from them, but the clarity and soundstage are wonderful.

From the speaker taps, they sound simply fabulous. Bass is back, clean and present, vocals are great, stage is wide and deep and tall.

Full disclosure, I have never heard a RME ADI-2, but this is the best solid-state amp I've heard with my VCs.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 32
This thing is fabulous. Drives the absolute hell out of my Susvaras - run them on high-gain at 30 volume (it's got a smooth digital volume attenuator). Even on my more sensitive Rognir planars, running off the speaker taps with low gain and 5 (lol) volume, man, it gets everything out of them that they can give. This is my endgame SS amp. It wrenches clarity out of headphones, has soundstage for days (doesn't hurt that the Rognir and Susvara have significant soundstages themselves), and the bass is just north of neutral with great control.

I've also got it running as the DAC for my Mogwai SE. Haven't tried that yet, but I will soon. It's a little on the hefty side, but for everything it offers - Bluetooth, dual-mono DAC, 100 WPC Class AB speaker amp and 2 WPC (at 32 ohm) SE headphone amp, it's hard to beat.

I'll be keeping this. Also keeping my Conductor 3XP. Maybe I'm becoming a Burson fanboy? They can join the club with ZMF.

I wanted to grab this for myself but the SE output is bothering me. I have already invested in a balanced cable which I intend to use with a portable DAP for my high impedance Cans.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 32
I wanted to grab this for myself but the SE output is bothering me. I have already invested in a balanced cable which I intend to use with a portable DAP for my high impedance Cans.
Yeah, I get that. My upgrade cables are all 4-pin XLR. That said, it makes it easy for them to connect to my LQI banana plug to XLR adapter.

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 32
Banana plug; is that the speaker output? I didn’t know an adapter to do that exist. Do you get better sound quality vs a headphone output.

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 32
The banana taps into more powa!!

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 32
Banana plug; is that the speaker output? I didn’t know an adapter to do that exist. Do you get better sound quality vs a headphone output.
Yes, and the quality is better because of the raw power output. At least for my power hungry planars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back