Burson Soloist with HD600?
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MatsudaMan

aka JohannesBrahms, KittlesLittles, Bigglesworth.
Hey guys,

I Know that the Burson Soloist is a pretty capable amp with hard to drive orthos...but I also understand that given its variable gain output, you can pretty much drive any headphone. Does anyone know how this amp pairs with Sennheisers of the hd600/650 variety? I recently purchased the amp online and own some Grados and Hd600. Hope it sounds good!

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 8
BUMP

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I think it might be a combo worth looking into.

I do not have either on hand right now so please take my advice with a grain of salt, but used to own a pair of HD600 with Cardas (grey), and auditioned the Burson Conductor (it has the soloist for amp section), but with my T1's and not the HD's.

I found the Conductor to be fast, bright and quick, wasn't a match that I liked for the T1's (too bright), but I think it might work great with the darker and slower HD600 and HD650's.  

Any way for you to go try the amp in person?  Ultimately that's the safest bet still.  

good luck!

Jan 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 8
Soloist and Sennhs pair really well. Bass is more accurate and spacious soundstage, the low and mid gain are enough to drive them. 

Check their blog, users normally send their opinions with different headphone pairing. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 8
I actually already took the plunge and got one for a great deal online. I usually don't buy without listening but the reviews all look so positive. I'll let you know how they match up with my hd600's after I break it in for a few hundred hours.

However, while I'm waiting for it to arrive, would love to hear from anyone who's tried the Soloist with my headphones.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I think it might be a combo worth looking into.

I do not have either on hand right now so please take my advice with a grain of salt, but used to own a pair of HD600 with Cardas (grey), and auditioned the Burson Conductor (it has the soloist for amp section), but with my T1's and not the HD's.

I found the Conductor to be fast, bright and quick, wasn't a match that I liked for the T1's (too bright), but I think it might work great with the darker and slower HD600 and HD650's.  

Any way for you to go try the amp in person?  Ultimately that's the safest bet still.  

good luck!

I have the Conductor with the LCD2 rev3.  I find it to be very smooth, not bright at all. Actually, I even tried the HD800 with it and it smoothed it out (I even liked listening to some ACDC with hd800 on Conductor).

Beware that it is very bright before and during the break in period.

After over 100 hours the sound calms down.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 8
I've been listening to my soloist all day, and I can definitely say that the match with hd600 headphones is one made in heaven.  I never new how much detail you could get out of these cans until now.  The sound is so much more complex - way more over tones in the instruments, you can really hear so much extra-musical details - articulation of bow on the string, breathing of musicians, shuffling of feet, sound of reverb of acoustic space, etc.  The musical signal is just much more pure.  Really an amazing experience so far.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm curious, but what source are you using with your setup Matsuda?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back