Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #3,017 of 3,128
Good evening... Is anyone having shutdown problems in 3XP? I use it on conductor 3xp...It switches off and on as if there was a light spike. Since I bought it, it's been doing this for several months..

I had a constant restart issue, both with supercharger as well as normal charger. Took video clips of the constant restarts and sent it to Burson. They asked me to do a few tests and later found out that there was an issue with the PCB. They got the pcb replaced and it’s been a month now without any restarts. Try ne reach out to them. Burson has very good customer support.

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #3,018 of 3,128
@gops2116

Yes I have a similar issue.

I'm not very impressed with burson for the prices they charge. When I first got mine the volume/enter button didn't work. Burson sent me a replacement faceplate. Even then, the enter button has been temperamental. It sometimes takes a few presses or to hold down the buttons for attempts to register.

Lately I've been getting a similar issue to you where it switches on and off repeatedly.

I've noticed that when I leave it on for a long time so that it gets very hot, the issue tends to stop. But unless Burson want to pay my electricity bills, leaving the device on 24/7 is not an option for me.

Ultimately the device sounds great. I also couldn't in good conscience sell it on for a worthwhile price with this issue. So I have decided to keep it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a better solution?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #3,019 of 3,128
Issues aside... Does anyone here know what voltage / Vrms the 3xp outputs?

My question phrasing alone may give away the fact that I don't really understand voltage Vs wattage etc. So any clarification there would be welcome

but what I'm trying to work out is whether the 3XP would be powerful enough to fully drive the Modhouse Tungsten?

The latest published impressions suggest it needs a very high voltage, more so than high current W/me.

Sep 4, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #3,020 of 3,128
I'm using the burson stack so I'm on the fence at the moment haha for my HEKV2. The 1st combo, Composer (Pre-out, as volume) + Soloist (power amp mode) = This I feel like add more slam, bass, and body to tracks with the sacrifice of Guitar's timbre and sparkle but this could how a natural guitar sound. But wind instrument sounds so satisfying. No Cost in Resolution it seems.
or 2nd combo, Composer (Dac Out) + Soloist (Normal Mode, as volume) = This bring back the sparks and make it sounds bright but bring an tiny bit of air. I think this one keeps more neutral.
Not really sure which one to use, I enjoy the the first combo more. But I feel like the 2nd combo brings more of the HEK signature sound.
Well , imagine that I reply in the post you made the question of experiences with the soloist 3xp modes( above this).

Well here we go , Power amp mode or not, it's a Synergy thing, and sometimes it does not have lot of sense at all.

A1000z is more bassy and full bodied than ad2000x, ad2000, ad1000x, 900x k553, etc etc.

You would think that it would benefit from an airier sound and it will sound amazing on the Soloist normal mode.

For my surprise, It did not, lol.

On the other hand, AD2000X on Normal mode sounds awesome , specially with a R2R like sound like maybe some burr brown from Ifi, Schiit Bifrost 2.

When I tried the power amp mode with ad2000x It was not at the level of the normal mode, it lost air and the extra frontality of bass of the power amp mode was not a match for the "magic" of ad2000x and the soloist in normal mode.

Ad2000x+Soloist in normal mode was like a superior presentation, the stage was placed in a more epic way in where you could hear more the details, vocals were significantly clearer, and the bass did not seem to lack compared to power amp mode.

A1000z with normal mode was thinner than I remembered, distant, unengaging, bass lost frontality, meh stage, it was clear, but maybe just that, it was unengaging.

Then I tried 1000z on power amp and ,opposed to ad2000x, it sounded significantly better to my ears, a more upfront, full bodied, better distributed , And engaging soundstage compared to the thinner but airier normal mode, bass was better too, in fact it almost seems a1000z is bass light on Normal mode lol.

Going for logic, knowing how ath a1000z and ad2000x sound on different amps I would have said that the airier sound of 3xp normal mode would suit 1000z more because it already had body and was bassier than most audio tech headphones, ad2000x "would" sound better on power amp mode because it is a thinner headphone and the extra bass and frontality of power amp mode would suit it better.

But in reality, it's the opposite lol.

I found it very " mmmmm" ( not trying to offend anyone) how a lot of people put the power amp mode as an absolute upgrade or better mode, but I think that in reality each mode has a different sound presentation that could suit some headphones better depending on a lot of things.

To my ears, all my closed back audio technicas are better with the power amp mode, while the open ones are better with normal mode, specifically the Audio technica Air Line has some magic with the normal mode.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #3,021 of 3,128
Guys, I need your advice: while moving I've lost my original PSU for Burson and I need to buy a new one. This made me wonder if it is a high time to invest into Super Charger instead (3A version I suppose is the right one)? I remember different optinions were Super Chargers were made available so I wonder what is a general consent today. If this matters I would rather use Burdon in Power Mode as I like using volume knob and unfortunately Burson never get it right IMHO so I'll be using preamp, however the dynamics of this amp is awesome and I miss it from time to time. Help me please.

Sep 22, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #3,022 of 3,128
Guys, I need your advice: while moving I've lost my original PSU for Burson and I need to buy a new one. This made me wonder if it is a high time to invest into Super Charger instead (3A version I suppose is the right one)? I remember different optinions were Super Chargers were made available so I wonder what is a general consent today. If this matters I would rather use Burdon in Power Mode as I like using volume knob and unfortunately Burson never get it right IMHO so I'll be using preamp, however the dynamics of this amp is awesome and I miss it from time to time. Help me please.
The Supercharger 3A is indeed a good sound quality upgrade over the stock PSU, but some people said it benefits from the Super 5A.
Whatever you pick you will have an upgrade in clarity and details, even a little more dynamics

Sep 22, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #3,023 of 3,128
The Supercharger 3A is indeed a good sound quality upgrade over the stock PSU, but some people said it benefits from the Super 5A.
Whatever you pick you will have an upgrade in clarity and details, even a little more dynamics
I agree with this ... the 3A works very well for me. It's pretty much a 'must have' IMO

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #3,024 of 3,128
@Josz27 and @Charente thank you guys for your response. Guess which amp will be getting most attention tonight?
20230926_163324.jpg

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #3,025 of 3,128
Hi all,

Are any of you using your Burson Soloist 4 pin XLR output with any sort of cable extender? I really like the balanced output of the Burson paired with the ZMF Atrium, but I'm used to using a 15' Grado SE extension cable with other headphones so that I can sit in different locations around my room. Is something like this extension available for 4 pin XLR relatively easily? I've seen lots of 3 pin XLR extensions, but for some reason 4 pin seems much more difficult to source.

Thanks!

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #3,026 of 3,128
Hi all,

Are any of you using your Burson Soloist 4 pin XLR output with any sort of cable extender? I really like the balanced output of the Burson paired with the ZMF Atrium, but I'm used to using a 15' Grado SE extension cable with other headphones so that I can sit in different locations around my room. Is something like this extension available for 4 pin XLR relatively easily? I've seen lots of 3 pin XLR extensions, but for some reason 4 pin seems much more difficult to source.

Thanks!
This should work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline...refix=4+pin+xlr+extension+cable,aps,78&sr=8-6

If you want higher quality, any reputable cable maker can build one for you with whatever materials and connectors you choose.

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #3,027 of 3,128
Hi all,

Thanks!

Heart Audio cables.

It's a great little eco-system to buy into.

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #3,028 of 3,128
Hi Everyone!

I need help from Soloist 3XP.
I sold my unit a few months ago and it seems like I did not provide the spare opAmps set which is included in the package? From what I can see on the unboxing video, they are black much smaller than the vivids.

here is a picture I found :

1695987270405.png

Could anyone tell me the brand/model for those opAmps so I can order them separately and send them to the new owner ?
thanks a lot ,
Ale

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #3,029 of 3,128
Hi Everyone!

I need help from Soloist 3XP.
I sold my unit a few months ago and it seems like I did not provide the spare opAmps set which is included in the package? From what I can see on the unboxing video, they are black much smaller than the vivids.

here is a picture I found :

Could anyone tell me the brand/model for those opAmps so I can order them separately and send them to the new owner ?
thanks a lot ,
Ale
For my understanding those op-amps are... "Bad"... Sounding...
I would not be worried about not having them at all...
For your good luck I have the box close
Mine have 3 lines and say:
JRC
A086A

Yeah the image does not show it clearly but I put what it says above lol.

Too lazy to take a good picture xD

Attachments

• IMG_20230929_105659.jpg
    IMG_20230929_105659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 29, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #3,030 of 3,128
For my understanding those op-amps are... "Bad"... Sounding...
I would not be worried about not having them at all...
For your good luck I have the box close
Mine have 3 lines and say:
JRC
A086A

Yeah the image does not show it clearly but I put what it says above lol.

Too lazy to take a good picture xD
Thank you so much! I know they sound worst than other opamps, my understanding is they are included just for testing purposes in case of unit failure
Now I know the model…thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back