Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Jun 26, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #2,686 of 3,128
I also heard it too regarding the sonic performances. I never considered actual voltage metrics or anything, only that if I had an amp that was fully balanced, match it with a balanced dac to get the most out of that.

If you don't hear the differences in DACs, then I'd save the money and invested it in something else. But synergy is a tricky beast, because you could have expensive amps and dacs that sound like crap, if your headphones don't work well, or could have the most expensive headphone ever and equally sound like junk if your amp doesnt power it enough, or if your dac is not detailed enough to play to your headphone's strengths. I can understand sometimes how people in this hobby can go through gear like water, trying to hit that perfect combination for them.
Dont really know what you mean but everybody deem the same thing as your statement. a/b is the only way to evaluate difference without placebo. Not perceivable difference but actual difference. As for actual voltage metrics, I just recently know this directly from Burson themselves.

Jun 26, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #2,687 of 3,128
Ain't a beauty? :)

IMG_20220623_220344.jpg
Yea very nice indeed.
Indeed. I think the proper approach should be to find the headphone you absolutely love and wouldn't want to change for anything else, than find the best amp for them and then the best DAC...
We will still experiment every now and then as new releases appear, but it is good to reach a point with a system that reflects your main sonic preferences and you enjoy the most. Sure, finding that takes time, depending on budget probably years...
Meaning wasting money by buying and selling...

Jun 26, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #2,688 of 3,128
yes. That is how I did and and how I recommend it to others. Find the headphone what you really enjoy and try to get from 95% perfection to 100% by searching for perfect fitting amp and DAC to make your audio chain perfect
Yes, thats what everybody is doing including me. But so far, no results for me. My search and quest still continue ...

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #2,690 of 3,128
I find it absolutely astonishing we’re on an audiophile enthusiasts forum and people on here can’t hear the difference between cheap and high quality DAC’s, amplifiers and headphones costing a few hundred dollars and more. It’s mind boggling.

Go paint your house red and call it green... These comments might be viewed offensive but no more offensive to the people that spend countless hours on research and developments trying to make these products sound better.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #2,692 of 3,128
I find it absolutely astonishing we’re on an audiophile enthusiasts forum and people on here can’t hear the difference between cheap and high quality DAC’s, amplifiers and headphones costing a few hundred dollars and more. It’s mind boggling.

Go paint your house red and call it green... These comments might be viewed offensive but no more offensive to the people that spend countless hours on research and developments trying to make these products sound better.
Do you test equipment using blind testing? If not there's *zero* certainty differences you hear aren't just placebo.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #2,693 of 3,128
If you do it smart and buy secondhand the loss is negligible. Even for brand new stuff I hardly ever paid full RRP.
Loving your positivity mate.
How are you liking the Bryston BHA-1 compared to the Soloist 3XP?

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #2,694 of 3,128
Thanks to you they earn a fortune. Come on dude. Not everyone is a golden ear like you...
This is completely beside the point I’m making and also relative. A group of engineers working on said project for a number years shouldn’t be rewarded for their work? Some companies don’t break even especially when starting off and boutique companies very often make a loss. I’m not pro spending thousands on high end products but doesn’t mean I can’t objectively hear a difference. The Burson 3XP is an expensive amp that does sound different to cheaper amps whether your untrained ears can hear it or not and to say otherwise isn’t adding much to conversation and a disservice to the makers. I also don’t need golden ears to hear that it’s a Class A amp, incredibly dynamic and powerful with a unique sound signature. In the same vein cheaper DAC’s absolutely do sound different to expensive ones.

Everyone is entitled to their subjective experiences but we’re on an audiophile enthusiasts forum. If you’re going to tell me your Apple dongle sounds the same as a good setup I can’t take you seriously. People should educate themselves, actively listening and enjoying their music of course, taking the time to understand how their equipment is impacting the sound and let’s have an intellectual conversation about it.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #2,695 of 3,128
This is completely beside the point I’m making and also relative. A group of engineers working on said project for a number years shouldn’t be rewarded for their work?
Unfortunately I have to tell you that many hard working people don't get rewarded. But hey, aren't some poor Chinese people also working hard to make good audio equipment? Shouldn't they also be rewarded for their work? Why you call those China products (some mentioned Topping devices) cheap? I'd rather call them more affordable as "cheap" sounds just cheap.

If you’re going to tell me your Apple dongle sounds the same as a good setup I can’t take you seriously.
Oh gawd how dare I come to the Burson thread when I only use an imaginary Apple dongle together with my Hifiman cans?! What sin have I committed to make my ears bleed so much? /jk
fyi I also own a Burson amp and it's good

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #2,696 of 3,128

hey, nothing offensive about it. Interesting analogy. By the way, for headphones, of course people who hear difference, audiophile enthusiasts or not.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,697 of 3,128
How are you liking the Bryston BHA-1 compared to the Soloist 3XP?
I am loving it. It is simply next level compared to the 3XP and that is already a good amp.
The 3XP is a little warmer, and does that 'analogue' sound well, but when it comes to technicalities, can't compete with the Bryston. Not even with SuperCharger in headphone power amp mode.
The Bryston's resolving capabilities are just nuts. The sound is more of a reference sound, more neutral. It is also extremely tight, fast and dynamic. It easily brings out details that were masked on the 3XP. Never heard my Elite's bass so tight and punchy.
I do not want to derail this thread though, so if you are interested in more impressions, let me direct you to my posts in the Bryston thread on page 157.

Jun 26, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #2,698 of 3,128
Unfortunately I have to tell you that many hard working people don't get rewarded. But hey, aren't some poor Chinese people also working hard to make good audio equipment? Shouldn't they also be rewarded for their work? Why you call those China products (some mentioned Topping devices) cheap? I'd rather call them more affordable as "cheap" sounds just cheap.

Oh gawd how dare I come to the Burson thread when I only use an imaginary Apple dongle together with my Hifiman cans?! What sin have I committed to make my ears bleed so much? /jk
fyi I also own a Burson amp and it's good
Apologies, I agree with you. Really I meant cheap relative to expensive or absurdly expensive.

I also don’t believe you need to pay a lot especially now more than ever for good performance. You can have a great setup for a few hundred dollars.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #2,699 of 3,128
Hi so any dac recommendation for me ? Some say Qutest but I dont feel like going for Chord due to single ended. I want to maximize the Soloisist 3xp potential. Still deciding... Or maybe everybody favourite classic 'Toping D90SE'. Kinda want mqa though.

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #2,700 of 3,128
Hi so any dac recommendation for me ? Some say Qutest but I dont feel like going for Chord due to single ended. I want to maximize the Soloisist 3xp potential. Still deciding... Or maybe everybody favourite classic 'Toping D90SE'. Kinda want mqa though.
I have read a lot that the Soloist 3XP benefits a lot from a fully balanced DAC, specially if the DAC can output more than the average 4V via XLR. Therefore +1 for the D90SE. Just my opinion, but I think the Soloist needs a well resolving and detailed DAC and not a Multibit or R2R, but this is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back