Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Jan 25, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #2,281 of 3,139
That's strange because on the Grand Tourer you can rotate the text.

Burson-Soloist-3XGT-S1-1.jpg

Jan 25, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #2,285 of 3,139
Brilliant sound. I'm loving the Soloist after 2 weeks. An amp must sound good to have my interest for that long, especially when there's no tubes to roll and nothing for me to fiddle. I can see why Lachlan of Passion For Sound love it so much. Pretty wide soundstage, clarity, details, texture and a fullness of sound that makes it sound rich and alive.

I get satisfying results with all of my headphones, LCD4, He1000se, He6se V2. Can't decide which one is the best pairing yet because they all sound good in their own way with the Soloist 3XP.

With dacs, I've used SMSL Do200 and NAD M51. I prefer the M51 for it's greater clarity though the Do200 is still good enough. Haven't been able to get my Yggdrasil yet because it's in my work accommodation and the Bifrost 2 is with my son.

Right now I have Odyssey my tube amp and Soloist connect to NAD M51 and I swap my LCD4 between the 2. While I still prefer Odyssey for it's sparkle and it's better dynamics, the Soloist is a surprise in getting close. This solid state amp sound really good, regardless of price.

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #2,287 of 3,139
Have a quick question for you guys, I have a Topping E50 DAC, would it be safe to use the TRS balanced connection with an XLR adapter for the Soloist 3xp?
Topping has supplied a MTRS to MTRS cable, I have a pair of FTRS to MXLR adapters. Would this work?

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,288 of 3,139
I have paired, with great satisfaction, a Denafrips Pontus II.
Pairing the Burson 3XP with an R2R dac is the best synergy, soft warm sound and detailed, I would say analog, from both components.

I share this perspective... amazing results with MHDT Orchid (R2R/Tube) + Soloist 3XP.

Previously, was running an RME-ADI2 fs. See Post #2,059 for my subjective comparisons.

IMG_1848.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #2,289 of 3,139
What's up with the DC Offset? Have been reading that unplugging your headphones while the Bursons are on could fry them. Same for turning the amp on with headphones plugged in.

I'm carefull to not do that with my Singxer SA1. But occasionally that happened.

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #2,290 of 3,139
Silent 140mm pc fan with a Powerbank Is what I would do. Just in case someone is really located in a hot area .

I want to buy the soloist 3x performance in a couple of months. Really looking forward to it.
Just not sure what DAC to get to pair it with.

Gustard X16, smsl Su-9n, d300 are interesting.
I have a Burson Conductor, DAC built in. That's in the lounge, in my home office I have a Sparko Aries headamp fed by a Chord Qutest. I can highly recommend the Qutest and the Conductor as DAC options. And the Burson Conductor and Sparko Aries as headamps. Driving Audeze LCD4, LCD3 and LCDxc.

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #2,292 of 3,139
Curious about this too, was going to ask..
What's up with the DC Offset? Have been reading that unplugging your headphones while the Bursons are on could fry them. Same for turning the amp on with headphones plugged in.

I'm carefull to not do that with my Singxer SA1. But occasionally that happened.

I find it confusing that Singxer does not have a "Z" I googled it and the internet says there is no english equivalent for mandarin "x" ... so why no "Z" ?

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #2,293 of 3,139
Please tell me, and at the moment of turning off the Burson itself if headphones are connected to it do you hear a click in them. And also when turned on? I'm just worried that it can damage the headphones ???

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #2,294 of 3,139
Please tell me, and at the moment of turning off the Burson itself if headphones are connected to it do you hear a click in them. And also when turned on? I'm just worried that it can damage the headphones ???

I would suggest always have the volume at "0" when you power-on. When you are done listening, turn the volume back down to 0, then power off.

My understanding from what you describe is normal.

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #2,295 of 3,139
I have an audio-dac Audio-Gd nfb-29 (2017 year model ) in and when you turn it off there is a strong click in the headphones. it does not depend on volume. the click is caused by transients. Therefore, I had a similar question regarding burson ? how critical is this moment for burson ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back