Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Jan 12, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #2,178 of 3,132
Hard to drive planars or easy to drive planars, the Soloist just gets the job done. I love the tone. :)

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #2,179 of 3,132
Recently got this amp, primarily based on the suggested pairings with the (ability to drive) HE6se which is still incoming for me. But testing it now with my HD6XX and Auteurs, I have to say that this is the very first time I can say that a SS based amp has it spot on. As I have been leaving the tube/tube rolling world behind, nearly all of the SS and Tube Hybrid amps I have owned or auditioned has been -- always lacking in something or another. The Soloist 3xp really takes the best of SS and tubes and really harmonized those qualities in my opinion. And the power available gets the job done for nearly any headphone. This is really an awesome amp.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #2,180 of 3,132
So the Grand Tourer arrived and I burned it in for a day...and I gotta say, I think the 3XP has better synergy with the Arya than the GT does. The sound from the 3XP is warmer, more mid-range focused, and my suspicion is that it's slight upper treble emphasis actually balances out the Arya's own treble peak better than the GT. The GT sounds like it's slightly darker in tonality (maybe more natural), which leaves that treble peak in the Arya completely exposed. It also resolves much better, which brings out the flaws of the Arya slightly more. So much to my own surprise I think the GT is going back and I'll be staying with the 3XP for as long as I have the Arya's.

If I upgrade to a Susvara one day...that'll be a very different discussion. :sweat_smile:

Jan 12, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #2,181 of 3,132
So the Grand Tourer arrived and I burned it in for a day...and I gotta say, I think the 3XP has better synergy with the Arya than the GT does. The sound from the 3XP is warmer, more mid-range focused, and my suspicion is that it's slight upper treble emphasis actually balances out the Arya's own treble peak better than the GT. The GT sounds like it's slightly darker in tonality (maybe more natural), which leaves that treble peak in the Arya completely exposed. It also resolves much better, which brings out the flaws of the Arya slightly more. So much to my own surprise I think the GT is going back and I'll be staying with the 3XP for as long as I have the Arya's.

If I upgrade to a Susvara one day...that'll be a very different discussion. :sweat_smile:

You don't think any other opamps would fix that in the GT? It is kind of surprising being they are both of the same dna, same stock vivid opamps.....

Jan 12, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #2,182 of 3,132
You don't think any other opamps would fix that in the GT? It is kind of surprising being they are both of the same dna, same stock vivid opamps.....
I may keep burning it in and see if anything changes, but I think it's just better at revealing faults anywhere in the chain than the 3XP is.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #2,183 of 3,132

Just a reminder not to overlook your DAC in this equation. I've find great synergy with the MHDT Orchid (R2R/Tube) --> 3XP.

Possible the GT was not finding the same synergy with your DAC vs. your 3XP ?

R2R might help "warm" things up and introduce increased texture/timbre/musicality vs. delta sigma.

Perhaps folks with Audial, Denafrips, Soekris, Mojo Mystique, etc. --> 3XP pairings have POV.

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #2,184 of 3,132
Just a reminder not to overlook your DAC in this equation. I've find great synergy with the MHDT Orchid (R2R/Tube) --> 3XP.

Possible the GT was not finding the same synergy with your DAC vs. your 3XP ?

R2R might help "warm" things up and introduce increased texture/timbre/musicality vs. delta sigma.

Perhaps folks with Audial, Denafrips, Soekris, Mojo Mystique, etc. --> 3XP pairings have POV.
That’s a good point, and very possible! But I’m not in a position where I can upgrade DACs from my Bifrost 2 at the moment. I just have to find an amp that works with my current setup.

Turns out there are other issues with the GT that prevent me from wanting to give it more of a try as well, like fan noise (it’s very low but still audible, and bugs me when listening to symphonic tracks with quieter moments), the pretty big price increase over the 3XP, and the even more gradual volume change due to the larger volume knob. Imagine trying to spin a regular sized frisbee compared to a giant one. The giant one would require much more effort to make the same amount of rotations because of the larger diameter. With the GT it’s like that. It’s cumbersome to use it as a preamp and it’s just so slow to change volume between songs/sources.

Anyway, I don’t want to bash on this thing too much, because it’s absolutely incredible in so many ways. But for my purposes, it looks like it’s just not the right fit, and I’m quite happy if I can save the money :sweat_smile:

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #2,185 of 3,132
That’s a good point, and very possible! But I’m not in a position where I can upgrade DACs from my Bifrost 2 at the moment. I just have to find an amp that works with my current setup.

Turns out there are other issues with the GT that prevent me from wanting to give it more of a try as well, like fan noise (it’s very low but still audible, and bugs me when listening to symphonic tracks with quieter moments), the pretty big price increase over the 3XP, and the even more gradual volume change due to the larger volume knob. Imagine trying to spin a regular sized frisbee compared to a giant one. The giant one would require much more effort to make the same amount of rotations because of the larger diameter. With the GT it’s like that. It’s cumbersome to use it as a preamp and it’s just so slow to change volume between songs/sources.

Anyway, I don’t want to bash on this thing too much, because it’s absolutely incredible in so many ways. But for my purposes, it looks like it’s just not the right fit, and I’m quite happy if I can save the money :sweat_smile:

The BF 2 is a great DAC. I hear you on the Fan. That could be potentially distracting (at any dB level).

I've been so pleased with the 3XP.... not (yet) convinced about jumping up to GT. Although, if you are saying the volume knob is now as large as the Price-is-Right wheel...that could be fun! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

spin-the-wheel-price-is-right.gif

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #2,186 of 3,132
The BF 2 is a great DAC. I hear you on the Fan. That could be potentially distracting (at any dB level).

I've been so pleased with the 3XP.... not (yet) convinced about jumping up to GT. Although, if you are saying the volume knob is now as large as the Price-is-Right wheel...that could be fun! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

spin-the-wheel-price-is-right.gif
Ha! Not quite that large, but almost :wink:

Will the volume go up with one spin? Will it go down? Spin and find out!!

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #2,188 of 3,132
Hey - question for those who have opamp rolled. I've read on the soloist, there are two places you can set the opamps, at the input stage, and then the volume stage. If, for example, you are mixing two sets of opamps (e.g. Vivids and Classics). Does it matter the order in which you put them in....will it sound exactly the same if you put the Vivids in the input stage, and the classics in the volume stage, and vice versa? Or does the amp take on the input stage first as the baseline, and then the opamps in the volume/output stage set the floor and ceiling levels of the sound characteristics? Hope I am being clear/making sense. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #2,189 of 3,132
After all my research and some auditioning, I'm thinking of diving into a Soloist 3x, Bifrost 2 & LCD-3 combo...
I haven't heard the soloist or bifrost, only going off others comments on those.
I like smooth easy listening, a full dynamic sound with lots of impactful bass, a holographic sound with good soundstage and separation. Listening to primarily electronic music but also bit of everything else.
Any comments appreciated!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #2,190 of 3,132
After all my research and some auditioning, I'm thinking of diving into a Soloist 3x, Bifrost 2 & LCD-3 combo...
I haven't heard the soloist or bifrost, only going off others comments on those.
I like smooth easy listening, a full dynamic sound with lots of impactful bass, a holographic sound with good soundstage and separation. Listening to primarily electronic music but also bit of everything else.
Any comments appreciated!

Should be good. I had LCD3 before and I still have Bifrost 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back