Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Aug 15, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,396 of 3,128
DC voltage difference in + and - from 4-pin XLR out

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #1,397 of 3,128
Anyone here leaves thier amp constantly turned on? I notice smoother, better music delivery after an hour of turning it on. Was wondering if there would be any detrimental effect of leaving a class A amp on a always powered state.

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #1,399 of 3,128
Anyone here leaves thier amp constantly turned on? I notice smoother, better music delivery after an hour of turning it on. Was wondering if there would be any detrimental effect of leaving a class A amp on a always powered state.
It does take a while to reach peak sonic performance after being powered on. Because mine is located under my iMac and gets very hot, I tend to switch my 3XP off when I know I won't be listening through headphones.

From the Soloist 3X Performance manual:
The sound of the Burson Soloist 3XP improves steadily within minutes after powered-up. Depending on the resolution of the system and the attentiveness of the listener, you may find that the sound continues to improve over the first weeks of operation.

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #1,400 of 3,128
Mine has been on for months.
Wow, does the heat emitting from the unit ever bothered you at all?

Noticed you have a denafrips in your display pic, i trialed the denafrips ares with the soloist and it was the most amazing experience I've had from my hd600! I was going to take the plunge,
But a friend told me to hold back till I've heard the Aune S8.

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #1,401 of 3,128
Wow, does the heat emitting from the unit ever bothered you at all?

Noticed you have a denafrips in your display pic, i trialed the denafrips ares with the soloist and it was the most amazing experience I've had from my hd600! I was going to take the plunge,
But a friend told me to hold back till I've heard the Aune S8.
It doesn't heat too much and no, it does not bother me at all. It is winter here so it actually helps :)
You are right, I use a Denafrips Venus II DAC and together with the Soloist it sends truly magic signal to my active monitors or headphones. The music sounds real, holographic, resolving while being oh so easy to listen to. When I work from home the system plays music for up to 16 hours a day, so why bother turning it off? Both the Soloist and the DAC sound better warmed up and the active monitors switch off when there's no signal.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #1,402 of 3,128
Mind if i ask what interconnects and usb cable your using with your set up?
It doesn't heat too much and no, it does not bother me at all. It is winter here so it actually helps :)
You are right, I use a Denafrips Venus II DAC and together with the Soloist it sends truly magic signal to my active monitors or headphones. The music sounds real, holographic, resolving while being oh so easy to listen to. When I work from home the system plays music for up to 16 hours a day, so why bother turning it off? Both the Soloist and the DAC sound better warmed up and the active monitors switch off when there's no signal.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #1,403 of 3,128
It does take a while to reach peak sonic performance after being powered on. Because mine is located under my iMac and gets very hot, I tend to switch my 3XP off when I know I won't be listening through headphones.

From the Soloist 3X Performance manual:
Yeah, I'm in tropical asia and on a typical day it does get worrying hot... Sounds better the hotter it gets though 🤣

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #1,405 of 3,128
Mind if i ask what interconnects and usb cable your using with your set up?
My interconnects are QED Reference Analog 40 XLR - a 3.0m pair to the active speakers from the Soloist and a 0.6m pair to the Venus II DAC.

https://www.qedcable.com/collection...reference-audio-40-xlr?variant=37580246614192

The USB cable is a Tchernov CLASSIC USB A-B IC 1.0m long connecting the iFi Zen Stream to the Matrix Audio SPDIF-2 DDC and from there a 50cm HDMI 2.0 cable to the Venus II DAC I2S input..

https://tchernovcable.com/en/products/classic-series/classic-interconnect-cables/usb-a-b-ic/#:~:text=CLASSIC USB A-B IC Type: ,is ... 6 more rows

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #1,406 of 3,128
Burson somewhere advises not to leave their amps on because the heat will dry out the caps. Maybe like a tube amp, which run hot, the caps need replacing every few years due to heat?
Got the new Burson Super Charger 3A switch mode supply. Use one on the Soloist 3XP & one on the Composer. Indeed a quieter background/space with more nuances noticable.

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #1,407 of 3,128
Burson somewhere advises not to leave their amps on because the heat will dry out the caps. Maybe like a tube amp, which run hot, the caps need replacing every few years due to heat?
Got the new Burson Super Charger 3A switch mode supply. Use one on the Soloist 3XP & one on the Composer. Indeed a quieter background/space with more nuances noticable.
I've used previous Soloist for 7,5 years. Always on. 24/7. It had no Sleep button on the front panel. No degradation of sound ever. Now I have 3XP and I turn it off only if I leave for several days.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,408 of 3,128
Anyone tried the Orange dual discrete op amps?

https://orangeamps.com/product/op-amp/

And are there any op-amps that can give more power to HE6? I don’t need more power but if my source has to little gain, I would like to get bigger volume with the Burson

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,409 of 3,128
Yes but only if it is electrolytic capacitor. Solid caps are much more durable

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,410 of 3,128
Anyone tried the Orange dual discrete op amps?

https://orangeamps.com/product/op-amp/

And are there any op-amps that can give more power to HE6? I don’t need more power but if my source has to little gain, I would like to get bigger volume with the Burson
I did look at those but they honestly don't look as impressive as the other offerings. The Orange op-amps are more like the mid-fi compared to the more well-known op-amp manufacturers, so I didn't try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back