Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Jun 5, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #1,082 of 3,128
Has anyone used soloist 3xp on ZMF headphones? Waiting for my Verite Closed, wondering if they will be a good match
I came across this post in my research, and saw someone else talking about pairing it with Verite Closed, can't remember where now... Read through the responses here to (127b), but keep in mind he hasn't burned in the Soloist at the time. Maybe contact this user and see how it's developed... Please let us know how it goes for you. https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/jrpzx5/burson_soloist_composer_3x_performance_combo/

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,083 of 3,128
Has anyone used soloist 3xp on ZMF headphones? Waiting for my Verite Closed, wondering if they will be a good match
I run the ZMF VC on the Soloist 3XP. I think they pair well. I did change the opamps on the input stage from the Vivid to the Classics V6 to smooth out the treble but that's just my preference. The detail and staging with this combo is fantastic.

The power from the Soloist is way more than enough. Sometimes I run it in low gain on the balanced output.

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,084 of 3,128
I run the ZMF VC on the Soloist 3XP. I think they pair well. I did change the opamps on the input stage from the Vivid to the Classics V6 to smooth out the treble but that's just my preference. The detail and staging with this combo is fantastic.

The power from the Soloist is way more than enough. Sometimes I run it in low gain on the balanced output.
Ah, perhaps the Vivids are fatiguing with this combo... Do you find you need to adjust the volume control often?

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #1,085 of 3,128
Ah, perhaps the Vivids are fatiguing with this combo... Do you find you need to adjust the volume control often?
Some but I always do depending on the song. I haven't used an amp to date where I don't do that. And it's not always because the sound is too harsh or loud or some other bad thing. A lot of the time it's because I really like the song that came on. Also, I don't volume normalize the sound so it can vary between songs.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #1,086 of 3,128
Some but I always do depending on the song. I haven't used an amp to date where I don't do that. And it's not always because the sound is too harsh or loud or some other bad thing. A lot of the time it's because I really like the song that came on. Also, I don't volume normalize the sound so it can vary between songs.
Thanks, makes sense. I read that criticism of this pairing and wondered... Reminds me of that incredible Alan Parsons' song, TURN IT UP! :)

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #1,087 of 3,128
Thanks, makes sense. I read that criticism of this pairing and wondered... Reminds me of that incredible Alan Parsons' song, TURN IT UP! :)
That said, as much as I like the Soloist I'd still say volume control is it's biggest weak point. The knob spins indefinitely and the volume changes very gradually as you spin it. I actually like this granularity. What I don't like is that there's a big jump in volume from 51 to 52. Sometimes the volume I'm looking for is in between but I have to settle for either a little too soft or a little too loud. Or change gain and play around with that but then I have to switch back on the next song and that's even more annoying, so I rarely go the gain route.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #1,090 of 3,128
That said, as much as I like the Soloist I'd still say volume control is it's biggest weak point. The knob spins indefinitely and the volume changes very gradually as you spin it. I actually like this granularity. What I don't like is that there's a big jump in volume from 51 to 52. Sometimes the volume I'm looking for is in between but I have to settle for either a little too soft or a little too loud. Or change gain and play around with that but then I have to switch back on the next song and that's even more annoying, so I rarely go the gain route.
I came across a post from a Soloist owner who contacted Burson about the jumpy volume control. He got the chip replaced, problem fixed. I just found the post, copying here... If you aren't happy with the jumpy volume, apparently there is a fix.

hifiDJ
Apr 28

So you guys know that weird quirk the Soloist has where adjusting volume is inconsistent? Where turning the volume dial up actually lowers the volume at a certain point?
I finally got around to asking Burson about this and they suggested it is a glitch with the volume chip’s programming. So, they sent me a volume chip replacement to see if it fixes the issue…
Finally got it today and the first one didn’t work…it actually disabled everything! So, I tried the extra one they sent (two chips total) and viola! Volume is all good now and issue is fixed…
Just wanted to let y’all know if the “volume issue” with the Soloist bothers some of you that there is a solution. Just hit up Burson email and they’ll send you replacement chips…
It’s very easy to replace…all you need to do is pull out the old volume chip which is the little black chip right next to the volume screen inside…then just pop in the new one and you’re done. Hope this was helpful!
UPDATE: The two chips that were sent to me were different versions and they didn’t know which one I had so they sent both…so try both

Source: https://forum.headphones.com/t/burs...ance-class-a-headphone-pre-amplifier/9115/198

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #1,091 of 3,128
I came across a post from a Soloist owner who contacted Burson about the jumpy volume control. He got the chip replaced, problem fixed. I just found the post, copying here... If you aren't happy with the jumpy volume, apparently there is a fix.

hifiDJ
Apr 28

So you guys know that weird quirk the Soloist has where adjusting volume is inconsistent? Where turning the volume dial up actually lowers the volume at a certain point?
I finally got around to asking Burson about this and they suggested it is a glitch with the volume chip’s programming. So, they sent me a volume chip replacement to see if it fixes the issue…
Finally got it today and the first one didn’t work…it actually disabled everything! So, I tried the extra one they sent (two chips total) and viola! Volume is all good now and issue is fixed…
Just wanted to let y’all know if the “volume issue” with the Soloist bothers some of you that there is a solution. Just hit up Burson email and they’ll send you replacement chips…
It’s very easy to replace…all you need to do is pull out the old volume chip which is the little black chip right next to the volume screen inside…then just pop in the new one and you’re done. Hope this was helpful!
UPDATE: The two chips that were sent to me were different versions and they didn’t know which one I had so they sent both…so try both

Source: https://forum.headphones.com/t/burs...ance-class-a-headphone-pre-amplifier/9115/198
That is interesting. The issue does not bother me much, but if I could fix it I would. Perhaps I will contact Burson.
Can you confirm, changing the volume chip is only a manual task and does not involve soldering?

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #1,092 of 3,128
That is interesting. The issue does not bother me much, but if I could fix it I would. Perhaps I will contact Burson.
Can you confirm, changing the volume chip is only a manual task and does not involve soldering?
That's according to the OP. I don't have the Burson to confirm, am still in the process of deciding which amp I'll buy. I'm leaning towards the Luxman P750u, but if that falls through, I'll get the Burson.

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,093 of 3,128
Thank you for the answer, I'm also considering buying a set of V6 classic to try. Currently I'm pairing the Soloist (with V6 vivid) with Focal Clear, previously I also feel it a little dry, but recently I just found out the power amp mode from this thread, and I feel a lot of improvement, the sound is richer and smoother

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #1,094 of 3,128

hifiDJ
Apr 28

Thanks for the post! I'm definitely contacting Burson about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back