Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
May 24, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,021 of 3,128
Thank you, much appreciated. I noticed that you have some of the other amps I've researched as well... The HeadAmp, Violectric, Geshelli Labs, and Singxer... Of those do you prefer the Soloist 3X or does it depend on the source?
As usual in audio....it depends:xf_cool: I would not say it depends on source used, but rather on the headphone itself. For me the Soloist 3XP is the most detailed and nuanced of the bunch, but that does not mean I prefer it over the other ones in general. The Soloist has some quirks (jumpy volume control, minor hiss on medium/high gain on sensitive headphones), but on the other hand sound so good. The unique headphone power amp mode is really a stand-out feature compared to the other amps on the market (especially like it on Meze Empyrean and Quad ERA-1). I round-robin my headphones as well the amps+DACs regularly so everyone gets his listening time, that way you not get used too much to the same sound and "newly" re-discover it over and over. I really can recommend the Soloist 3XP that is for me in the same league as the GS-X mini or Violectric V281.

May 24, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #1,022 of 3,128
As usual in audio....it depends:xf_cool: I would not say it depends on source used, but rather on the headphone itself. For me the Soloist 3XP is the most detailed and nuanced of the bunch, but that does not mean I prefer it over the other ones in general. The Soloist has some quirks (jumpy volume control, minor hiss on medium/high gain on sensitive headphones), but on the other hand sound so good. The unique headphone power amp mode is really a stand-out feature compared to the other amps on the market (especially like it on Meze Empyrean and Quad ERA-1). I round-robin my headphones as well the amps+DACs regularly so everyone gets his listening time, that way you not get used too much to the same sound and "newly" re-discover it over and over. I really can recommend the Soloist 3XP that is for me in the same league as the GS-X mini or Violectric V281.
You are fortunate to have such great amps at your disposal. I like your thinking! :) Considering the lower cost, the Soloist is hard to beat. I read somewhere that the jumpy volume control was a faulty volume controller in some production run, but I haven't confirmed this. You might check with Burson to see if they can replace that unit for you under warranty if it's bothersome... Enjoy the music!

May 24, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #1,023 of 3,128
I read somewhere that the jumpy volume control was a faulty volume controller in some production run, but I haven't confirmed this.
Well, that means that all of them should be faulty...I have the same issue.
But it does not bother me any longer in the headphone power amp mode.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #1,024 of 3,128
You are fortunate to have such great amps at your disposal. I like your thinking! :) Considering the lower cost, the Soloist is hard to beat. I read somewhere that the jumpy volume control was a faulty volume controller in some production run, but I haven't confirmed this. You might check with Burson to see if they can replace that unit for you under warranty if it's bothersome... Enjoy the music!
I experience jumpy volume control too and I don't think my unit is faulty but rather design flaw of Soloist. But for this price and performance, I can live with it.

May 25, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #1,025 of 3,128
I experience jumpy volume control too and I don't think my unit is faulty but rather design flaw of Soloist. But for this price and performance, I can live with it.

qsk78 and BattousaiX26 Living with it is definitely an option. I don't remember where I read this, but a guy got a replacement for this issue, and he said the new unit's volume was linear, not jumpy. Just passing on what he reported... If I come across this again, will post a link.​

May 25, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #1,031 of 3,128
please keep us posted on the jumpy volume issue. if there is a fix that will be great, it’s not really a show stopper for me. i believe it’s around 51 or 52.
51 to 52 for me as well.

May 25, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #1,032 of 3,128
Yeah, mine jumps from 51 to 52. No biggie though.
Yes, there is a slightly bigger jump between 51 and 52, but it doesn't really bother me either. I think most people would be fine with it. (And then there is the headphone power amp mode where you bypass the whole volume control.)

May 25, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #1,034 of 3,128
If I do the bypass using my current DAC, I go deaf in an instant or my Z1Rs explode on my head, maybe both 😂
Yes, don't do that. :)
Let me emphasise again for new readers that for the bypass mode you must have a DAC with volume control and you must significantly lower the volume on the DAC before engaging this mode on the 3XP. (Otherwise you can get into all sorts of trouble.)

May 27, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,035 of 3,128
Hi. Has anybody listened to both Soloist 3X and old Soloist? Could You compare the sound character of both. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back