Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
May 15, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,006 of 3,128
My DAC budget is kind of limited around the price of the Qutest. What R2R would you recommend in that price range?
I value clarity and detail, so a loss in that department is what holds me back from the less expensive R2Rs. At the same time I am very interested in hearing what so many people seem to like.
Not much around the £1200 mark; can only think of the Gungnir Multibit (nil UK stock), Soekris dac2541 or Musician Pegasus.

May 15, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #1,007 of 3,128
Not much around the £1200 mark; can only think of the Gungnir Multibit (nil UK stock), Soekris dac2541 or Musician Pegasus.
This correlates to my findings. A proper R2R DAC is about twice the money I am willing to spend on a DAC.

I was wondering about the Bifrost 2 as a budget option. I do not know how much more improvement the Gungnir is over the Bifrost 2. And they are basically unavailable in the UK anyway.
At some point I was wondering about the Soekris 1541, but the opinions about it are very controversial. Again I am not sure how much improvement the 2541 would be.
I never heard about the Pegasus.

Edit: Holo Spring 2 was on my radar as well, but it is hard to get one, even harder second-hand. And as far as I know they are discontinued.
These R2Rs seem to be the niche of the niche. Just like artisan tube amps I guess.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #1,008 of 3,128
Apologies for going very much off topic here, but did you consider the audio-gd R7, Kitsune Holo Spring, etc?
I have considered all of the above and more but did not trust the purchasing process. Denafrips have a representative in Melbourne that got me an Ares II delivered within days. Plus, after using the Ares II for a couple of weeks, an opportunity to purchase a second-hand Venus II came up and I took it.
My DAC budget is kind of limited around the price of the Qutest. What R2R would you recommend in that price range?
I value clarity and detail, so a loss in that department is what holds me back from the less expensive R2Rs. At the same time I am very interested in hearing what so many people seem to like.

Edit: On a side note, what led you to say Qutest does not sound realistic? To me it sounds more realistic than any delta-sigma DACs I have heard. I have not heard R2Rs though.
Denafrips Pontus is a good R2R alternative to your Qutest. Look for one to buy second hand, these things are built like tanks and come with a transferrable 3 years warranty.
I didn't mean to say the Qutest does not sound realistic. It is just that R2R DACs sound so realistic that the Qutest sounds a bit digital in direct comparison.

May 18, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,010 of 3,128
I know most people are perfectly satisfied with the 3XP in normal mode, and they are right. It is indeed a fantastic amp.
But I keep switching between normal and 'headphone power amp mode' and I find that the power amp mode is simply better. Especially in the bass. With my ADI-2 the bass in power amp mode on my Empyrean is just so much tighter, more dynamic and more impactful. It is impossible not to hear it.

The improvement is so obvious, I only want to get an upgrade DAC with volume control, so I have access to this function on the 3XP. The problem is, most DACs that interest me have no volume control: Schiit, Denafrips.

So should I just keep looking for an R2R DAC with volume control in my budget or should I just ditch the 3XP and pair an R2R DAC without a volume control with a more dynamic and more punchy amp versus the 3XP in normal mode? My dilemma is, that I think perhaps some class A SS amps could be more dynamic and punchy than the 3XP is in normal mode, but I doubt any of them could be more dynamic and punchy than the 3XP is in 'headphone power amp mode'.

IMO the 3XP in headphone power amp mode does something unique. It is a shame, none of the R2R DACs I desire have a volume control...

May 18, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #1,011 of 3,128
I know most people are perfectly satisfied with the 3XP in normal mode, and they are right. It is indeed a fantastic amp.
But I keep switching between normal and 'headphone power amp mode' and I find that the power amp mode is simply better. Especially in the bass. With my ADI-2 the bass in power amp mode on my Empyrean is just so much tighter, more dynamic and more impactful. It is impossible not to hear it.

The improvement is so obvious, I only want to get an upgrade DAC with volume control, so I have access to this function on the 3XP. The problem is, most DACs that interest me have no volume control: Schiit, Denafrips.

So should I just keep looking for an R2R DAC with volume control in my budget or should I just ditch the 3XP and pair an R2R DAC without a volume control with a more dynamic and more punchy amp versus the 3XP in normal mode? My dilemma is, that I think perhaps some class A SS amps could be more dynamic and punchy than the 3XP is in normal mode, but I doubt any of them could be more dynamic and punchy than the 3XP is in 'headphone power amp mode'.

IMO the 3XP in headphone power amp mode does something unique. It is a shame, none of the R2R DACs I desire have a volume control...
I think Ifi dacs use Bur Brown multibit dac chips and having volume controls too
Or buying a hiend preamp is a good idea?

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #1,013 of 3,128
I think Ifi dacs use Bur Brown multibit dac chips and having volume controls too
Or buying a hiend preamp is a good idea?
Actually ifi iDSD Neo is a good performer at a very reasonable price. I had it for review for 1 week at home. It is clean and neutral and have a volume control.
I was choosing between this and Composer 3XP and I ended up buying the Composer.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #1,016 of 3,128
Hello! Has anyone paired the Soloist 3X with the Holo May KTE? I'm also looking at the Sparkos Aries and Benchmark HPA4, but I wonder if those might be a bit on the clinical sounding side. I'm looking for transparency and dynamics, but not at the sacrifice of engagement or musicality, if that makes any sense. "Passion for Sound" reviewed the Soloist and Aries and personally prefers the Soloist. "Soundnews" reviewed the Soloist and the HPA4 and personally prefers the Soloist for personal listening more now. I haven't been able to hear any of these products, so I'm going on reviews and testimonials to narrow it down...

Any thoughts?

May 23, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #1,017 of 3,128
Hello! Has anyone paired the Soloist 3X with the Holo May KTE? I'm also looking at the Sparkos Aries and Benchmark HPA4, but I wonder if those might be a bit on the clinical sounding side. I'm looking for transparency and dynamics, but not at the sacrifice of engagement or musicality, if that makes any sense. "Passion for Sound" reviewed the Soloist and Aries and personally prefers the Soloist. "Soundnews" reviewed the Soloist and the HPA4 and personally prefers the Soloist for personal listening more now. I haven't been able to hear any of these products, so I'm going on reviews and testimonials to narrow it down...

Any thoughts?
Transparency with musicality? Then Soloist is the perfect fit for the description.

May 23, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #1,018 of 3,128
I'm looking for transparency and dynamics, but not at the sacrifice of engagement or musicality, if that makes any sense.
Transparency with musicality? Then Soloist is the perfect fit for the description.
Fully agree, the Soloist could be a good match for the given expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back