Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #31 of 3,128
If Alex says the soloist 3XR is as good or better a head amp/preamp as the conductor I'd trust him. Ill post about this.
The miracle just happened yesterday:

IMG_0261.jpg

Very well packed, two boxes and lot of white thick foam that protects the device properly.

IMG_0265.jpg

Balanced and unbalanced plugs can be seen. Worth mentioning that the small 4-pin jack has also an external Y-type adapter to accommodate 3-pin headsets + microphone (yes, it has mic passthrough)

IMG_0263.jpg

Same shiny and beautiful design as we were used to from previous Performance series

IMG_0266.jpg

Both inputs and outputs are buffered by V6 Vivid opamps inside. You can also notice the microphone input jack from mid-bottom

Soloist 3XR has three real gains built-in and the Low gain is low-enough to drive IEMs and other sensitive headphones. With my LCD-2F I need to pump up the volume to 95-99% to drive them really loud, while when using the Medium gain 40% would be more than enough to get it at about the same loudness. High gain is very loud indeed, so I need to be careful with the volume knob even when using Hifiman HE-560 (not easy to drive planars).

IMG_0284.jpg

Main menu on LCD
The default gain is Medium, but I would personally recommend to leave it at Low and use a higher volume level, because you never know what headphones you will connect and drive your ears nuts. :)

IMG_0285.jpg

Ability to choose from RCA/XLR inputs, Headphones/Preamp outputs and the internal Gain

IMG_0274.jpg

From what I see on the motherboard, we have the same output stage transistors, so theoretically we might achieve a similar output power as the C3X

IMG_0275.jpg

The TO-92 case transistors that we were used to see inside C3R/C3XR have been replaced with SMD ones, so heat dissipation might be better due to the direct contact with the PCB. Also, do notice the DC-adjust blue variable resistors, just like inside the V6 opamps

IMG_0278.jpg

MUSES 72320 volume controller and the big decoupling capacitors around

What I've immediately noticed was a slight background noise reduction when using the Low-gain, compared with C3X. It's not a night & day difference, but it's definitely there. So, regarding the background noise only, S3XR has it lower than C3XR that has it lower than C3R (compared on the unbalanced jack plugs). I've tested the above by using my very sensitive KSX AS10 IEMs which are having an 106 dB/mW or 121 dB/V SPL.

I noticed that specs show that Soloist has 2x7.5W while 3CX has 2x5W on 16 Ohms load, so Soloist might actually be a bit more "potent" on this area as well.

Check this but isn't the Conductor 3XR dual dacs fully seperate channels and the performance is only 1 dac. The performance probably also isn't as good preamp/head amp I'd check the configuration and specs.
3CX has indeed two DAC chips inside and, at least theoretically, it's dual-mono design is better than the single-DAC configuration. However, in real world the differences may not be noticed, at least as much as the appearance and size differences between the Reference and Performance versions.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #32 of 3,128

Very well packed, two boxes and lot of white thick foam that protects the device properly.

Balanced and unbalanced plugs can be seen. Worth mentioning that the small 4-pin jack has also an external Y-type adapter to accommodate 3-pin headsets + microphone (yes, it has mic passthrough)

Same shiny and beautiful design as we were used to from previous Performance series

Both inputs and outputs are buffered by V6 Vivid opamps inside. You can also notice the microphone input jack from mid-bottom

Soloist 3XR has three real gains built-in and the Low gain is low-enough to drive IEMs and other sensitive headphones. With my LCD-2F I need to pump up the volume to 95-99% to drive them really loud, while when using the Medium gain 40% would be more than enough to get it at about the same loudness. High gain is very loud indeed, so I need to be careful with the volume knob even when using Hifiman HE-560 (not easy to drive planars).

Main menu on LCD
The default gain is Medium, but I would personally recommend to leave it at Low and use a higher volume level, because you never know what headphones you will connect and drive your ears nuts. :)

Ability to choose from RCA/XLR inputs, Headphones/Preamp outputs and the internal Gain

From what I see on the motherboard, we have the same output stage transistors, so theoretically we might achieve a similar output power as the C3X

The TO-92 case transistors that we were used to see inside C3R/C3XR have been replaced with SMD ones, so heat dissipation might be better due to the direct contact with the PCB. Also, do notice the DC-adjust blue variable resistors, just like inside the V6 opamps

What I've immediately noticed was a slight background noise reduction when using the Low-gain, compared with C3X. It's not a night & day difference, but it's definitely there. So, regarding the background noise only, S3XR has it lower than C3XR that has it lower than C3R (compared on the unbalanced jack plugs). I've tested the above by using my very sensitive KSX AS10 IEMs which are having an 106 dB/mW or 121 dB/V SPL.

I noticed that specs show that Soloist has 2x7.5W while 3CX has 2x5W on 16 Ohms load, so Soloist might actually be a bit more "potent" on this area as well.

3CX has indeed two DAC chips inside and, at least theoretically, it's dual-mono design is better than the single-DAC configuration. However, in real world the differences may not be noticed, at least as much as the appearance and size differences between the Reference and Performance versions.
Other than background noise reduction, how's the performance compared to the C3X? How's the soundstage, imaging, etc.? What DAC are you feeding it?
I'm anxious to get mine. I ordered the combo 15 days ago and I wasn't expecting anything earlier than mid October.
By the way, I love these new Burson designs.

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #33 of 3,128

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg
Main menu on LCD

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Thank you for nice pre-review, looking forward to hear you listening impressions.
Only one question about the background noise: ist it volume dependent like on the FUN, or constant like on the C3?

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #35 of 3,128
Other than background noise reduction, how's the performance compared to the C3X? How's the soundstage, imaging, etc.? What DAC are you feeding it?[...]
Didn't really got much time to test it, but I promise that today I'll A/B test it against C3X.

[...]
Only one question about the background noise: ist it volume dependent like on the FUN, or constant like on the C3?
Background noise is dependant on gain level only, but not to volume knob level, which is expected in a digital volume controlled headamp. So, FUN with volume knob at min. is almost dead silent, while S3XP might have a slight hiss with IEMs having a sensitivity higher than 105dB/V. Important thing is that S3XP is a bit more silent than C3XR.

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #36 of 3,128

Main menu on LCD

OK I have now realised some things. And I so wish that Burson had named the composer something different not starting with "C" so it is less confusing with acronyms.

And I am really, really so not trying to rain on anyones parade who have preordered any of this stuff, as I fully expect once you get it, it will be completely awesome. When I said this:

Sam Spade said:
Check this but isn't the Conductor 3XR dual dacs fully seperate channels and the performance is only 1 dac. The performance probably also isn't as good preamp/head amp I'd check the configuration and specs.
Here I was talking about the Soloist but had confused that the Soloist 3X Performance had a DAC but it doesn't, it is "just" a headamp/preamp.

But I then realised that the Composer 3X performance is just a single DAC, not dual like the Conductor 3X Reference. At least I think that is right.

But in the end, if Alex says that the Conductor 3XR and the package deal of the Composer 3X Performance and Soloist 3X performance are very similar in terms of performance I wouldn't doubt him. Given their linked pedigree, one dac versus 2 and digital vs analogue volume control are likely to be infinitesimally small and I reckon if I turned up at Burson with my LCD3s it would take me all day to pick a winner and then if I put a blindfold on I wouldn't be able to tell which was which :)

Given the closeness in price and probable almost exact performance, I think the decision on which to buy comes down to whether you want 1 or 2 boxes.

This also leaves me wondering, are there going to be "reference" versions of the Composer 3X Performance and Soloist 3X performance, as there is a Conductor 3X Reference and a Conductor 3 Reference?

I also think you made one error @raoultrifan as I think the Conductor 3x reference is 7.5wpc balanced and the Soloist 3X performance is 8wpc balanced.

That's marginal, and the most important take home message is if you are going to used balanced headphones/cables getting a balanced version is great.

But if you are using unbalanced headphones then DON'T get the balanced version as it HALVES your power.

Assuming that you don't need balanced for its use as a preamp. And if you do 3.75 watts is probably enough to cause hearing loss with most headphones anyway............

And thanks once again for the great (p)review :)

Cheers
Sam

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #37 of 3,128
A few more things, @raoultrifan, do you have any idea when your Soloist was dispatched? Did you get an email with the tracking info and all?
How long ago did you buy it?
Did you get the Composer too or only the Soloist?
Thanks.
This is the first unit dispatched and yes, I got a tracking no. too. This is a test and review unit and this is why I received it earlier, but I might buy it if I will find it to be better than my C3X; till now S3XP got a slight advantage over the C3XR on the hiss, the smaller size case and the 3-gain adjust, so it might be a keeper after all.

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #38 of 3,128
This is the first unit dispatched and yes, I got a tracking no. too. This is a test and review unit and this is why I received it earlier, but I might buy it if I will find it to be better than my C3X; till now S3XP got a slight advantage over the C3XR on the hiss, the smaller size case and the 3-gain adjust, so it might be a keeper after all.
I'm looking forward to your review!

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #39 of 3,128
I also think you made one error @raoultrifan as I think the Conductor 3x reference is 7.5wpc balanced and the Soloist 3X performance is 8wpc balanced.
Hey, thanks, I was definitely looking to the 3XP instead of 3XR, so yes...we're comparing 7.5W on the Conductor 3XR vs. 8W on the Soloist 3X Perf, so about the same output power after all.

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #40 of 3,128
Hey, thanks, I was definitely looking to the 3XP instead of 3XR, so yes...we're comparing 7.5W on the Conductor 3XR vs. 8W on the Soloist 3X Perf, so about the same output power after all.
Yes about the same. Soloist looks like an absolute killer.

"The Soloist 3X-Performance spits out 8000mW in XLR and 4000mW single-ended. Yet, it can drive headphones up to 110db sensitivity without detectable current noise. There is simply nothing like it in the industry."

Not that the noise floor diff over C3XR is an issue for me on audeze lcd3 or lcdxc and I'm never going to plug my shure 530SE in anyway and im not sure they are that efficient. it isnt through my RB1080 Rotel 200wpc power amp and dali suite 3.5s either.

How many of you use the bursons as preamps as well as headamps? Thats my old MF nuvista in the foreground in the box with an X100 pre i need to sell too.

20200615_224936.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #41 of 3,128
Yes about the same. Soloist looks like an absolute killer.

"The Soloist 3X-Performance spits out 8000mW in XLR and 4000mW single-ended. Yet, it can drive headphones up to 110db sensitivity without detectable current noise. There is simply nothing like it in the industry."
Now I got some INSANE figures for output power, comparable with the ones I found in Conductor 3X Ref. and Conductor 3 Ref., but still a bit higher, check this out guys:

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 10.10.03 - Balanced High Gain 30 Ohms 01.png

At 30 Ohms resistive load it starts to distort gently at about 15.75 Watts of RMS power!
Notice the "tube-like" rounded corners instead of flat ones, like in normal solid-state amplifiers, when amplifier approaches the clipping limits. This gentle bending of the corners is very similar with what can be seen on tube distortions, just below started to clip.

Seems that Soloist 3XP has about 1.5W more power per channel than the Conductor 3X I had tested few months ago, so 10% more pure power for the listeners. This definitely makes it the most powerful headphones amplifier I ever touched and seen personally and probably one of the most powerful in the world!

Given the clear advantages over the Conductor 3X Reference built-in amplifier (more power, three adjustable gains, lower hiss, smaller size, both RCA & XLR inputs) the Soloist 3X Performance is definitely a keeper for me! Hope this new Soloist will be a keeper for all Head-Fi'ers that are in need for a really beefy headphones amplifier that works with both balanced & non-balanced sources and headphones and has a built-in pre-amplifier too.

Worth mentioning that Soloist's internal gain works for pre-out too.

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #42 of 3,128
Now I got some INSANE figures for output power, comparable with the ones I found in Conductor 3X Ref. and Conductor 3 Ref., but still a bit higher, check this out guys:

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 10.10.03 - Balanced High Gain 30 Ohms 01.png
At 30 Ohms resistive load it starts to distort gently at about 15.75 Watts of RMS power!
Notice the "tube-like" rounded corners instead of flat ones, like in normal solid-state amplifiers, when amplifier approaches the clipping limits. This gentle bending of the corners is very similar with what can be seen on tube distortions, just below started to clip.

Seems that Soloist 3XP has about 1.5W more power per channel than the Conductor 3X I had tested few months ago, so 10% more pure power for the listeners. This definitely makes it the most powerful headphones amplifier I ever touched and seen personally and probably one of the most powerful in the world!

Given the clear advantages over the Conductor 3X Reference built-in amplifier (more power, three adjustable gains, lower hiss, smaller size, both RCA & XLR inputs) the Soloist 3X Performance is definitely a keeper for me! Hope this new Soloist will be a keeper for all Head-Fi'ers that are in need for a really beefy headphones amplifier that works with both balanced & non-balanced sources and headphones and has a built-in pre-amplifier too.

Worth mentioning that Soloist's internal gain works for pre-out too.
How is the bass and midrange presentation on the Soloist?

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #44 of 3,128
How is the bass and midrange presentation on the Soloist?
Soloist is perfectly transparent, so it's all about the input source you're using. However, bass is very fast and it strikes with authority, as it should be for such a beefy amplifier.

I found out that frequency response is very good too, especially for an amplifier that is AC coupled: -0.1dB @20Hz and -0.25dB @20khz.

I mostly listened to the balanced XLR output and soundstage is very large, probably due to the very good separation between the channels (well, as expected from an audio device that has dedicated power regulators for each of the four internal amplifiers).

Burson_Soloist_3XP_MediumGain.png

THD @1KHz and harmonic profile - mostly 2nd harmonic dominant, which is benign

Burson_Soloist_3XP_THD_vs_Frequency.png

THD versus frequency

Users who are viewing this thread

Back