Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Apr 22, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #2,521 of 3,128
I have this combo and I think it sounds excellent. Especially running the amp in class-a mode. Feels richer and still resolving. The mids are slightly dark, but I like it because I can just relax with them for hours. I’m also gonna compare burson and the GSX mini next week.
I have Composer 3x, it runs LCD3, LCD4 and LCDxc outstandingly. So not an exact comparison but similar

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #2,522 of 3,128
I’m also gonna compare burson and the GSX mini next week.
Would love to hear your comparison. I was close to picking up a gs-x mini lately in a trade but I love the Soloist too much

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #2,523 of 3,128
I have this combo and I think it sounds excellent. Especially running the amp in class-a mode. Feels richer and still resolving. The mids are slightly dark, but I like it because I can just relax with them for hours. I’m also gonna compare burson and the GSX mini next week.
The soloist is always running in class-a. You might be talking about power amp mode? That just skips the volume section (op-amp/gain control). It doesn't change the class of amplification.
SMH yes, power mode is what I meant to write.

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,524 of 3,128
Current rig is:

PS5 (via UAC1 USB) to JDS Labs Element III Pre-Amp to Soloist RCA Input
and
Audirvana to Gungnir Multibit to Soloist XLR Input

HE1000se for analytical listening/ZMF Atrium for everything else

I tried a few combinations of Sparkos/Classic/Vivid op-amps, and no combination gave me a "OMG this is the one!" impression, but think I've found my preference. The differences mentioned below are pretty subtle, but if you want to tweak the sound for experimenting or fine-tuning to your preferences, op-amps are a good way to do it.

It does sound like the Sparkos SS3602 has a little more emphasis in the mids. Very neutral yet rich sounding op-amp. The low end has good presence and speed, and the treble is smoothed slightly in comparison to the Vivids, but not as tamed as the Classics. As I stated in a previous post, I originally had trouble getting a stable connection in the sockets, so I have the least amount of experience with these. You may want to spread the pins out just a little if using these in the Soloist, or try an adapter to be safe, which I will try in the next few days and re-assess.

Vivids are full of detail, headspace, and treble presence. I'm not all that treble-sensitive, I do love hearing all of the details in the higher registers when analyzing music, but I do prefer both Sparkos and Classics for just lying back and enjoying my music. Bass is tight and impactful. Mids have great resolution but are not as rich as the Sparkos or Classics to my ears.

Classics still have good head-space, but not as large as Vivids. Bass has a little more impact and presence, with a slight loss of speed in comparison. Mids are rich and pleasing, treble still has good extension and sounds the most pleasant to my ears here. Overall tonality is warmer than Vivids.

For the time-being, I've settled on Classics in the Input stage and Vivids in the Volume stage. In Power Amp mode, Classics make the Element III as a pre-amp extremely pleasing to listen to as the Element's DAC and Amp are very clean-sounding (that knob is sooo satisfying). The Soloist throws in all its power and 3D Audio through the PS5 sounds very engaging and clear. When I return to the Integrated Amp mode, the Vivids in the volume stage kick in and resolution is increased, while the Classics and Gungnir tame the treble the perfect amount to me.

Endgame doesn't exist, but I'm so happy with my setup and I'm excited to have more time this weekend to enjoy my music!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #2,525 of 3,128
Current rig is:

PS5 (via UAC1 USB) to JDS Labs Element III Pre-Amp to Soloist RCA Input
and
Audirvana to Gungnir Multibit to Soloist XLR Input

HE1000se for analytical listening/ZMF Atrium for everything else

I tried a few combinations of Sparkos/Classic/Vivid op-amps, and no combination gave me a "OMG this is the one!" impression, but think I've found my preference. The differences mentioned below are pretty subtle, but if you want to tweak the sound for experimenting or fine-tuning to your preferences, op-amps are a good way to do it.

It does sound like the Sparkos SS3602 has a little more emphasis in the mids. Very neutral yet rich sounding op-amp. The low end has good presence and speed, and the treble is smoothed slightly in comparison to the Vivids, but not as tamed as the Classics. As I stated in a previous post, I originally had trouble getting a stable connection in the sockets, so I have the least amount of experience with these. You may want to spread the pins out just a little if using these in the Soloist, or try an adapter to be safe, which I will try in the next few days and re-assess.

Vivids are full of detail, headspace, and treble presence. I'm not all that treble-sensitive, I do love hearing all of the details in the higher registers when analyzing music, but I do prefer both Sparkos and Classics for just lying back and enjoying my music. Bass is tight and impactful. Mids have great resolution but are not as rich as the Sparkos or Classics to my ears.

Classics still have good head-space, but not as large as Vivids. Bass has a little more impact and presence, with a slight loss of speed in comparison. Mids are rich and pleasing, treble still has good extension and sounds the most pleasant to my ears here. Overall tonality is warmer than Vivids.

For the time-being, I've settled on Classics in the Output stage and Vivids in the Volume stage. In Power Amp mode, Classics make the Element III as a pre-amp extremely pleasing to listen to as the Element's DAC and Amp are very clean-sounding (that knob is sooo satisfying). The Soloist throws in all its power and 3D Audio through the PS5 sounds very engaging and clear. When I return to the Integrated Amp mode, the Vivids in the volume stage kick in and resolution is increased, while the Classics and Gungnir tame the treble the perfect amount to me.

Endgame doesn't exist, but I'm so happy with my setup and I'm excited to have more time this weekend to enjoy my music!
i know its soloist forum but can you do a comparison between he1000se and Atrium??
Since Atrium is new i wonder how it would compare to he1000se

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #2,526 of 3,128
Does anyone have instructions for actually removing the v6 vivid Opamps on the Soloist? I've opened the case, and no matter how hard I try to pull the Opamp, it doesn't come out. Also, there's a plastic chord that surrounds the opamp. Does that need to be cut in order to remove it?

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,527 of 3,128
Does anyone have instructions for actually removing the v6 vivid Opamps on the Soloist? I've opened the case, and no matter how hard I try to pull the Opamp, it doesn't come out. Also, there's a plastic chord that surrounds the opamp. Does that need to be cut in order to remove it?

I was stuck on that too. Never found any mention of those zipties on any forum I looked through. I cut off the zipties very carefully with a box cutter, and the op-amps came right out.

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2,529 of 3,128
i know its soloist forum but can you do a comparison between he1000se and Atrium??
Since Atrium is new i wonder how it would compare to he1000se

Can do. The Atrium is very new for me though, so I need a little more time to compare and I can write back. I'm very impressed with it though. Very different presentation but equally enjoyable and impressive.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #2,530 of 3,128
For the time-being, I've settled on Classics in the Output stage and Vivids in the Volume stage. In Power Amp mode, Classics make the Element III as a pre-amp extremely pleasing to listen to as the Element's DAC and Amp are very clean-sounding (that knob is sooo satisfying). The Soloist throws in all its power and 3D Audio through the PS5 sounds very engaging and clear. When I return to the Integrated Amp mode, the Vivids in the volume stage kick in and resolution is increased, while the Classics and Gungnir tame the treble the perfect amount to me.

Wait, isn't the Volume stage the Output stage? Don't you mean Classics in the INPUT stage and Vivids in the VOlume stage?

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #2,531 of 3,128
Wait, isn't the Volume stage the Output stage? Don't you mean Classics in the INPUT stage and Vivids in the VOlume stage?

Whoops, you're right! Classics in Input, Vivids in Volume.

Attachments

• 11329998.jpg
    11329998.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #2,533 of 3,128
Thank you. I also own he1000se and i was thinking of putting order in ZMF Atrium. Your review will be very helpful haha

HE1000se has a major focus on speed and resolution throughout the entire frequency range. It becomes easy to pick apart the mix, and the experience is either like you're listening to a recording or you're in a grand concert hall. The details you hear and can pick apart in any genre is extremely impressive. The tonality leans bright. Bass is tight and extends well, I just wish it had more quantity. I often use a bass shelf around 120hz when i want a little more punch. Both headphones are very light and comfortable, but the Hekse has the edge because of the giant oblong earpads that fully surround your ears.

Atrium focuses more on enjoying the music as a whole. Soundstage is wider, but imaging isn't as precise. There's more than enough detail, and I can still get the lost in the music, only picking out the little details when I want to. Speed and decay are noticeably slower but it allows for a more rich and natural experience. This leans noticeably warmer in tonality. Some recordings on the Hekse can sound unnatural, but sound detailed and rich on the Atrium. Bass is punchy and textured and has more presence on the Atrium, but extends lower on the HEkse. Midrange is always the hardest to describe. I rarely ever try to attempt it, but they just sound so natural here. Treble extends well and offers plenty of detail but isn't as present as it is on the Hekse.

Quick summary: Atrium is slightly warm, euphoric, full-bodied, smooth, forgiving yet detailed, rich, and punchy. Hekse is exacting and tight, and has more treble focus in comparison. Hekse will show the flaws in recordings for better or for worse, but I prefer the Atrium when I'm not looking for a reference/analytical experience. The Atrium is extremely impressive. Fun factor of Aeolus, mids of the Auteur, most of the detail of the Vérité, widest soundstage of any ZMF, very fun headphone to listen to. This may not be as detailed as you'd need, it was honestly kinda rushed, so let me know if I can answer any more questions to help narrows down differences.

Attachments

• 20220422_220658.jpg
    20220422_220658.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #2,534 of 3,128
HE1000se has a major focus on speed and resolution throughout the entire frequency range. It becomes easy to pick apart the mix, and the experience is either like you're listening to a recording or you're in a grand concert hall. The details you hear and can pick apart in any genre is extremely impressive. The tonality leans bright. Bass is tight and extends well, I just wish it had more quantity. I often use a bass shelf around 120hz when i want a little more punch. Both headphones are very light and comfortable, but the Hekse has the edge because of the giant oblong earpads that fully surround your ears.

Atrium focuses more on enjoying the music as a whole. Soundstage is wider, but imaging isn't as precise. There's more than enough detail, and I can still get the lost in the music, only picking out the little details when I want to. Speed and decay are noticeably slower but it allows for a more rich and natural experience. This leans noticeably warmer in tonality. Some recordings on the Hekse can sound unnatural, but sound detailed and rich on the Atrium. Bass is punchy and textured and has more presence on the Atrium, but extends lower on the HEkse. Midrange is always the hardest to describe. I rarely ever try to attempt it, but they just sound so natural here. Treble extends well and offers plenty of detail but isn't as present as it is on the Hekse.

Quick summary: Atrium is slightly warm, euphoric, smooth, forgiving, yet detailed, rich, and punchy. Hekse is exacting and tight, and has more treble focus in comparison. Hekse will show the flaws in recordings for better or for worse, but I prefer the Atrium when I'm not looking for a reference/analytical experience. The Atrium is extremely impressive. Fun factor of Aeolus, mids of the Auteur, most of the detail of the Vérité, widest soundstage of any ZMF, very fun headphone to listen to. This may not be as detailed as you'd need, it was honestly kinda rushed, so let me know if I can answer any more questions to help narrows down differences.
thank you for a detailed review. sounds like these cans complement each other well.

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #2,535 of 3,128
Thanks! Strange how those zipties are never mentioned by anyone. Now I just need to cut them off...
Zipties were not previously attached. At least the initial batch of Soloist 3XP I purchased did not have them. My newly purchased Soloist GT had zip ties installed.
Perhaps, but I think they started using zipties to secure them at some point because of some incident where the opamp came off during transportation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back