Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Sep 26, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #2,071 of 2,327
It's probably the silent power modules. Make sure they're perfectly straight up and down and when you put the lid back on, go perfectly straight down and once you're down don't let up and the foam on the inside of the lid should press them down harder and they'll make connection. It scared the absolute crap out of me when it happened to me but once I just got it to make connection right on the silent power modules, everything was fine again.
It is exactly what it was.

Everything seemed fine, everything in the right place, but obviously the sp connection wasn’t right.

I must have very slightly nudged one when inserting the new opamps. How fiddly though.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #2,072 of 2,327
The amp has safety features to not operate if something isn’t connected right. It does the same thing when op amps aren’t seated correctly or when the lid isn’t on all the way.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #2,073 of 2,327
I’ve been emailing with Burson and they tell me they’re working on updating their website to add the SP2 modules. In case you can’t wait, you can ask them to send you an invoice to purchase, which is what I did.

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #2,074 of 2,327
After rolling op amps all night, I concluded that my favorite config is still:
  • Input: SIL 994
  • Volume: SS2590
  • Voltage: SS3306
I tried the SS2590s in the voltage stage with various combinations, and it was really good, but something about the SS3306s in the voltage sounds the most natural to me. Perhaps soundstage is minisculy smaller, but the warmth, texture, timbre is better with the SS3306s in the voltage vs. the SS2590s in the voltage. Overall, just more organic and realistic, by a small but noticeable margin.

I still get an equal amount of micro details in vocals and strings, as well as audience sounds on live performances, with negligible differences in soundstage (width/depth/height). Treble is incredibly smooth, detailed, and never sibilant.

I tried the Muzg in the voltage and the SS2590s in the input and volume, and to my ears, those two op amps sound pretty similar. Leans more on the analytical side, great resolution and imaging. I give the nod ot the SS2590 for sounding more natural with better decay, but sonically, I feel they sound almost the same. Both can get a little shouty in the voltage stage.

The SIL 994 in the input is the way to go for the best bass impact and extension. I don't see myself moving that op amp out of that position as long as I shill for HiFiMans.

Which is a perfect segue to say that it's important to note that I'm listening on two HiFiMans, the HE1000se and the HE6se v2, which both benefit from getting injected with some warmth.

All this to say, YMMV. It's interesting and fun to see all the different listening impressions you all are getting.

I can't wait to get the SP2 modules!
Okay, just kidding! :sweat_smile:

I was listening to the God of War sound track, specifically the first track (God of War), in which things get really busy. With the config above, listening with my HE6se V2, I felt that resolution, imaging, and sound stage took a noticeable hit. The music was not cohesive and sounded a bit one-dimensional in terms of holographics; like a wall of sound. I swapped the SS2509 and SS3306, so the 2590 was back in the voltage and 3306 was back in the volume, and it fixed the problem. Instruments were layered nicely, micro details (e.g., small plucks of strings) were much more apparent, and the music just felt more open, as if pressure was relieved from the previous config.

So, with all that out of the way, is it okay if I retract my post above? You guys were right, the SS2509 in the voltage is the way to go! :gs1000smile:

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #2,075 of 2,327
Has anyone tried to shoe-horn in 2 sets of SS2590 op-amps into a 3X GT? Voltage and either volume or input?

Too much of a good thing? Another $250 for diminishing returns?

Asking for a friend....

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #2,076 of 2,327
Has anyone tried to shoe-horn in 2 sets of SS2590 op-amps into a 3X GT? Voltage and either volume or input?

Too much of a good thing? Another $250 for diminishing returns?

Asking for a friend....
Your “friend” should do it and report back to you so you can report back to us.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #2,077 of 2,327
After rolling op amps all night, I concluded that my favorite config is still:
  • Input: SIL 994
  • Volume: SS2590
  • Voltage: SS3306
I tried the SS2590s in the voltage stage with various combinations, and it was really good, but something about the SS3306s in the voltage sounds the most natural to me. Perhaps soundstage is minisculy smaller, but the warmth, texture, timbre is better with the SS3306s in the voltage vs. the SS2590s in the voltage. Overall, just more organic and realistic, by a small but noticeable margin.

I still get an equal amount of micro details in vocals and strings, as well as audience sounds on live performances, with negligible differences in soundstage (width/depth/height). Treble is incredibly smooth, detailed, and never sibilant.

I tried the Muzg in the voltage and the SS2590s in the input and volume, and to my ears, those two op amps sound pretty similar. Leans more on the analytical side, great resolution and imaging. I give the nod ot the SS2590 for sounding more natural with better decay, but sonically, I feel they sound almost the same. Both can get a little shouty in the voltage stage.

The SIL 994 in the input is the way to go for the best bass impact and extension. I don't see myself moving that op amp out of that position as long as I shill for HiFiMans.

Which is a perfect segue to say that it's important to note that I'm listening on two HiFiMans, the HE1000se and the HE6se v2, which both benefit from getting injected with some warmth.

All this to say, YMMV. It's interesting and fun to see all the different listening impressions you all are getting.

I can't wait to get the SP2 modules!
I have this configuration + SP2 modules.

Compared to the Holo Bliss, with Utopia 22, I can perceive some level of noise floor, even on low gain. Is that expected?

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #2,078 of 2,327
Okay, just kidding! :sweat_smile:

I was listening to the God of War sound track, specifically the first track (God of War), in which things get really busy. With the config above, listening with my HE6se V2, I felt that resolution, imaging, and sound stage took a noticeable hit. The music was not cohesive and sounded a bit one-dimensional in terms of holographics; like a wall of sound. I swapped the SS2509 and SS3306, so the 2590 was back in the voltage and 3306 was back in the volume, and it fixed the problem. Instruments were layered nicely, micro details (e.g., small plucks of strings) were much more apparent, and the music just felt more open, as if pressure was relieved from the previous config.

So, with all that out of the way, is it okay if I retract my post above? You guys were right, the SS2509 in the voltage is the way to go! :gs1000smile:
I was noticing the exact same thing with my HE6se v2s lol. The staging always feels drastically more open and natural when the bass is super tight and well controlled on the HE6 and it was just so noticeable on that headphone for some reason. The micro detail was a huge leap in my experience with the 2590s in the voltage when using the HE1000se. Crazy amounts of articulation and texture. I really think people are sleeping on the potential of this amp, the capabilities with the right setup are pretty damn good for the money and that's not even with the silent power modules lol. I NEED THEM NOW!

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #2,079 of 2,327
I have this configuration + SP2 modules.

Compared to the Holo Bliss, with Utopia 22, I can perceive some level of noise floor, even on low gain. Is that expected?
Hard to say. I never heard the Holo Bliss and I don’t have the SP2 yet. What else is in your chain? Cables, power, etc. Are you using the Superrcharger power supply?

Maybe try a different headphone with higher impedance/low sensitivity.

I personally haven’t had an issue with noise floor but I haven’t paid too much attention to it.

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #2,080 of 2,327
Hard to say. I never heard the Holo Bliss and I don’t have the SP2 yet. What else is in your chain? Cables, power, etc. Are you using the Superrcharger power supply?

Maybe try a different headphone with higher impedance/low sensitivity.

I personally haven’t had an issue with noise floor but I haven’t paid too much attention to it.
I am using the supercharger and the source is a Holo May L2.

I can perceive some noise floor with iems too but that can me helped with ifi imatch.

Susvara don’t have any hiss but they’re a completely different type of beast…

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #2,084 of 2,327
Hi! This is my first post but before i want to say thanks for all the posts and advices i ve read in this forum.
I have the soloist 3xgt (not 2023) with a fiio m15 and susvara. I like it but i did put an older cheap tube buffer that i had for some years only to try. I found that the soundstage width increased and i liked it, also imaging was large, but depth was a little bit worse, but still nice. But it added a lot of noise and killed the dynamics and the bass extension. I would like to know if a good tube preamp (im thinking in cayin cs 6 la (the new sc6ls mk2) would help to have a bigger soundstage without killing the slam and the sub bass. I ve read from Pashmeister that was a good pairing but he did not talk very much about it. I come from arya v2 and the only thing i miss with susvara is its stretched image and larger soundstage (not larger but less focus centered, susvara goes further but with the reverb cues mostly). Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #2,085 of 2,327
Whelp. I guess I'm officially a Burson fan boy now. Just traded in my OG Soloist GT for 2023 Soloist GT and ordered every opamp mentioned in thread so far (SIL 994, V6 Classic, and Sparkos 2590's). The Soloist paired with the Burson Timekeepers GT has been my go too setup, and that was using original V6 vivids that originally came with the unit. I'm excited to see how much improved the experience will be with op amp rolling and the new sp modules to boot. Soundnews is too blame, I was looking at the Holo Audio Bliss and then stumbled across his updated review, and was sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back