Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #2,101 of 2,327
Anyone have the 2023 Soloist 3X GT with SP 2 on order? I'm not getting straight answers from the dealer and no target date. I tried contacting Burson directly but received zero response. Kind of wished I went in a different direction
Yes, a couple weeks ago, I posted that Burson told me that their web shop will be updated soon with the SP-02 modules available to buy. At the same time, they offered me to give me an invoice to pay for them, to which I said "yes, please." After that, they told me that the web shop will be updated as soon as possible, so I was hoping it would happen in the next day or two. Two weeks later, and checking everyday, no updates to their web shop. I finally asked for an update a few days ago and they finally responded with a link to an invoice to pay.

Not sure why there's a delay and why they didn't give me this option two weeks ago when they offered it and I accepted, but at least for me, I got to order it. No shipping update yet, but the I paid late last night California time, so hopefully late tonight I'll get an update.

Hopefully you guys can get the same opportunity or that they update their web shop soon.

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #2,102 of 2,327
Unfortunately the store has 3k of my money...

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #2,103 of 2,327
Unfortunately the store has 3k of my money...
Sorry, I misread what you were asking. You ordered the limited run of the amps with the SP-02 modules. Yeah, sorry, I don't fall into that camp. Here's hoping you get an answer soon! I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #2,104 of 2,327
Burson replied two weeks

Oct 13, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #2,105 of 2,327
I'm getting myself the SP-02 modules soon and I'll update https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-soloist-3x-grand-tourer.25668/reviews or I'll just reply there with my thoughts, but I'm hoping others could comment impressions as well.

My understanding, from Burson correspondence, is that the new modules are integrating even lower noise power regulators inside, hence an even darker background is to be expected. Not sure if the average consumer will tell a difference, but I expect that some of us might be able to notice an improvement in sound similar with upgrading the external PSU.

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #2,106 of 2,327
I'm getting myself the SP-02 modules soon and I'll update https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-soloist-3x-grand-tourer.25668/reviews or I'll just reply there with my thoughts, but I'm hoping others could comment impressions as well.

My understanding, from Burson correspondence, is that the new modules are integrating even lower noise power regulators inside, hence an even darker background is to be expected. Not sure if the average consumer will tell a difference, but I expect that some of us might be able to notice an improvement in sound similar with upgrading the external PSU.
Mine were delivered at my work, but I won't be able to pick them up until next week. Next week will be good because I'll get to play with the new modules and my new-to-me LCD-3.

Oct 18, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #2,107 of 2,327
If you haven't caught the drift yet, the SP2 modules make a substantial change. Every area is improved. At the level of my system, hearing a difference this noticeable doesn't happen often. The moment these hit the market, I'd snatch them up no questions asked. When Lachlan mentioned in his review ''You're jumping a whole 'nother tier'', I was immediately skeptical even though I agree with 80% of his impressions. Glad to report the hype is indeed real. Combined with upgraded op-amps, this is a serious amp around the $3k mark & there's nothing I can think of personally that beats it in this range.
I just installed my SP2 modules and I agree with this assessment. What it sounds like is an overall veil (that I didn't think was there) has been lifted. Vocals are clearer (with breaths and lip movements being more prevalent or revealed), strings are more textured, and impact is more visceral. Now I say this with a caveat. It's not like night and day difference, but like rreynolds says, it's a substantial change, as in, it's noticeable. YMMV.

BTW, here are installation instructions for the SP2 modules. Each one goes into a specific socket. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_4nzNCjvfahl7kVXQxF_Rsb78n4TY08x/view

The fifth module that sits by itself there to provide 5v of power to the screen and the controlling ics (per Burson). It wouldn't get the SP2 upgrade.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #2,108 of 2,327

The SP1 modules regulators are based on LT1963A (+15V) & LT3015 (-15V) having a RMS noise across 10Hz to 100kHz bandwidth of 40uV and 60uV, quite respectful numbers actually.

I managed to take mine apart and looks like the new SP2 modules are based on two extremely low-noise power regulators: LT3045 (+15V) and LT3094 (-15V) having a RMS noise of only 0.8uV across 10Hz to 100kHz bandwidth, so the new SP2 modules would be 50 times less noisier than the former revision. I am impressed how fast technology advances, but I'm thrilled that Burson is implementing it in their new equipment.

88A9B25F-2178-4C13-AE20-9CE8FCDC7712.jpeg

Top case of the new SP2 modules

EF3C1531-0926-477C-86C8-6F4CA072647A.jpeg
Bottom of the new SP2 modules

2800398A-CCC6-466B-8BB6-4A551F04D795.jpeg

The new positive regulator SP2 (+15V) based on LT3045

53260D14-5746-404F-8BD8-24B88DA98894.jpeg

The new negative regulator SP2 (-15V) based on LT3094

As a first impression, background seems to be darker and microdetails have increased. To be able to discerne all the audible differences, an A/B test between two identical devices, but with different SP modules installed, might be required. Meanwhile, let's all with SP2 already installed cooment our thoughts here.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,109 of 2,327
Agree that microdetails are more prevalent with the SP2 modules.

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #2,110 of 2,327
How are people in the United States getting the SP2s? They are still not for sale on the U.S. website.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #2,111 of 2,327
How are people in the United States getting the SP2s? They are still not for sale on the U.S. website.
Email them directly and ask for an invoice. The modules ship from Hong Kong. I’m guessing they’re having supply issues, but have enough for one off sales.

Oct 20, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #2,112 of 2,327
Ever since I installed the SP2 modules, my amp shuts off after 20 mins even if music/sound is playing through the amp. I have auto-off enabled, as has always been the case. Previously, it worked properly by shutting off when not in use. Now it just shuts off regardless.

Anyone else with the SP2 modules have this issue?

I have triple checked the modules to ensure they're seated correctly, checked that the correct ones are inserted in each slot, and checked my op amps to ensure they're also seated correctly.

Burson has told me that I need to plug in my Supercharger directly into the wall. I have done that and still get the same result.

The only way to keep it from shutting down is by disabling auto-off. I prefer not to go that route.

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #2,113 of 2,327
I think I've explained in my review about some protections that are included in this headamp: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-soloist-3x-grand-tourer.25668/reviews.

- First one I remember is the one with top cover open (an IR light will need to reflect from the top cover, so be sure top cover is properly placed on top).
- Noctua fan speed is too low (check if the fan is unobstructed and it moved perfectly smooth by hand, with device powered Off).
- The DC output needs to be low (get a multimeter and measure DC on both XLR and jack plugs; you can also secure both SP2 regulators in place so they will not easily move when gently touched by hand).
- All power rails should have the proper DC output (check if the two +5 V regulators are properly placed in the slots).
- Internal temp too high, but it's hard to believe that swapping these modules will cause that, I know that in my case it didn't (measure the outter temp with an IR thermometer and compare the results with mine from my above review).

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #2,114 of 2,327
I've spotted a one-star review in the Showcase of GT-2023 due to becoming defective, apparently for no reason. However, not saying that it was the case of this angry head-fier, but I was saying it for a few times and I'll say it again in the following message for anyone to take care when swapping op-amps.

Note: Usually swapping op-amps involves some risks, especially if op-amps are placed 180 degrees rotated (common mistake with room bad lighten, pin 5 instead of pin 1) causing some op-amps to get damaged partially and later, after rotating them back, to kill the power regulators from the mainboard. Sometimes op-amps start oscillating due to improper compatibility with amplifier's circuitry design or due to op-amps being loosy/unsecured in the DIP8 slot (imperfect electrical contacts), causing power regulators from the board to overheat and later to get damaged, this is why op-amps should be swapped only based on manufacturer's compatibility list, otherwise an oscilloscope and basic electronics troubleshooting are needed for properly checking for any possible out of band oscillations, ringing power regulators etc.

Nov 1, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #2,115 of 2,327
I think I've explained in my review about some protections that are included in this headamp: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-soloist-3x-grand-tourer.25668/reviews.

- First one I remember is the one with top cover open (an IR light will need to reflect from the top cover, so be sure top cover is properly placed on top).
- Noctua fan speed is too low (check if the fan is unobstructed and it moved perfectly smooth by hand, with device powered Off).
- The DC output needs to be low (get a multimeter and measure DC on both XLR and jack plugs; you can also secure both SP2 regulators in place so they will not easily move when gently touched by hand).
- All power rails should have the proper DC output (check if the two +5 V regulators are properly placed in the slots).
- Internal temp too high, but it's hard to believe that swapping these modules will cause that, I know that in my case it didn't (measure the outter temp with an IR thermometer and compare the results with mine from my above review).
I just received mine today with a few issues. I ordered the deluxe package with SP2 modules and received the standard package with SP2 installed by the store. Connected everything, then connected power and only one channel works. Getting distortion when turning volume control. The left channel popped on at 45 clicks played until I touched the volume and the left channel shut back off. Clearly there is a quality control issue with these units. I'm patiently waiting for a call back from the dealer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back