Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
May 24, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #1,876 of 2,265
Came across this on the web, people heared more about?
2023 model

Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer—New Improved!

***New Improved version released 2023***

"The enhanced Soloist 3XGT boasts a cutting-edge power supply systemthat significantly improves performance. By transitioning from the LM317 low noise regulator (120µV) to the more advanced LT1963 (40µV), we have achieved a purer, more stable power supply for all internal components. In addition, this innovative power supply design also features modular elements, facilitating effortless future upgrades. These improvements enable the new Soloist 3XGT to attain a remarkable Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) of 116dB, compared to the previous 110dB

https://www.eliteaudiouk.com/product-page/burson-audio-soloist-3x-gt

May 24, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,877 of 2,265
Came across this on the web, people heared more about?
2023 model

Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer—New Improved!

***New Improved version released 2023***

"The enhanced Soloist 3XGT boasts a cutting-edge power supply systemthat significantly improves performance. By transitioning from the LM317 low noise regulator (120µV) to the more advanced LT1963 (40µV), we have achieved a purer, more stable power supply for all internal components. In addition, this innovative power supply design also features modular elements, facilitating effortless future upgrades. These improvements enable the new Soloist 3XGT to attain a remarkable Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) of 116dB, compared to the previous 110dB

https://www.eliteaudiouk.com/product-page/burson-audio-soloist-3x-gt
few pages back :D

'Silent Power' revision!

May 25, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,879 of 2,265
Somebody tried or compared the revision?
I own one but I have never heard the previous version to do a comparison. I can only say that what I am listening to now is, in my opinion, excellent.

May 25, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,880 of 2,265
I own one but I have never heard the previous version to do a comparison. I can only say that what I am listening to now is, in my opinion, excellent.
I've not seen or heard of AS 402 OpAmps that you show in your signature. I don't think they have been mentioned in this thread either.

If I may I ask.....What got you on to those? Any comparisons to Silicon Labs or Sparkos, et. al.?

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #1,881 of 2,265
I've not seen or heard of AS 402 OpAmps that you show in your signature. I don't think they have been mentioned in this thread either.

If I may I ask.....What got you on to those? Any comparisons to Silicon Labs or Sparkos, et. al.?
See post 1835 on page 123. They are made in Latvia. They are as described on that page. I am currently using them with the SIL 994 at the input buffer. The SIL added some low end to the mix. I have a pair of Sparkos that I have yet to try. My Atriums and VOs like the current setup.

May 28, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #1,882 of 2,265
Quite honestly even the volume control thing is a non issue, they’re very small steps so generally you’re turning the volume knob quickly in which case you’d never even notice it sometimes goes the other way in the numbers. The fan noise honestly isn’t an issue the moment the music starts playing. If you’re hearing the fan with the music playing, are you really listening to the music at the level you’d notice proper amplification? And I’m a low level listener myself.
Does the volume fluctuate when using the remote or only when using the volume knob.

May 28, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #1,884 of 2,265
Hi folks,

First post on this particular forum so apologies for the long ramble. I've owned a Soloist 3X GT for the last few months and spent some time yesterday experimenting with op amps. I know these have been discussed many, many times but thought I'd share my experiences. I was loaned a pair of Sonic Imagery Labs 994Enh-Ticha dual op amps by @SoundJedi at Elise Audio. John Burson at Burson Audio had contacted me a few weeks ago as he'd noted I have a 3X GT, and he kindly offered to send me a pair of Burson op amps. I already have Burson V5i-Dual op amps in my xDuoo XD-05 BAL portable DAC/amp, so he sent me a pair of V6 Classics to try in my 3X GT.

Testing was done using Qobuz from my Mac into a Musician Pegasus R2R DAC then to the Soloist 3X GT. My transducer of choice was Subtonic's Storm IEM, via XLR/4.4mm. I prefer a neutral to slightly warm, but balanced signature. My high frequency hearing is a bit shot (age and too many loud gigs in the 80s) so I like a bit more treble energy than some might prefer. I was curious to see what impact op amp rolling would have in the 3X GT, and was suitably impressed with the outcome. My notes from various combinations are as follows.

Input buffer stage (IB)
Voltage control buffer stage (VCB)
Voltage gain stage (VG)

1) IB: V6 Vivid; VCB: V6 Vivid; VG: V6 Vivid
This is the stock configuration as shipped by Burson. It's clean and leans slightly brighter than neutral to my ears. I've felt it lacks a little bass depth and weight with an IEM like Storm so have been wanted a bit more bass depth without losing the clarity.

2) IB: V6 Classic; VCB: V6 Vivid; VG: V6 Vivid
Swapping the input buffer stage to the V6 Classic introduces a little more warmth and a decent amount more weight to the bass. Stage felt a little wider and deeper, with details popping nicely. Treble remained clear and vocals felt more natural and organic. There were some subtle nuances to female vocals that I'd been missing with the stock setup. A step forwards, I'd say.

3) IB: Sonic Imagery Labs 994; VCB: V6 Vivid; VG: V6 Vivid
The SIL 994 has a similar overall character to the V6 Classic but introduces even more control to the bass. It was quite similar to the V6 Classic but felt like a further improvement, so I decided they could stay put in the input buffer stage for a while.

4) IB: Sonic Imagery Labs 994; VCB: V6 Vivid; VG: V6 Classic
Swapping the voltage gain stage to the V6 Classic really didn't work for me. Treble felt more recessed, dynamics were reduced overall and the sound felt more compressed. The sound was softer edged, a little wooly and lacking resolution in comparison. Back to the V6 Vivids in the voltage gain stage, no question.

5) IB: Sonic Imagery Labs 994; VCB: V6 Classic; VG: V6 Vivid
Popping the V6 Classics into the voltage control buffer didn't work for me either. Similar to (4), it felt a little softer and darker. Bass was lighter and dynamics were again not as impactful.

6) IB: V6 Vivid; VCB: Sonic Imagery Labs 994 ; VG: V6 Vivid
Popping the SIL 994 in place of the V6 Classics worked really nicely. It felt similar to having the 994 in the input buffer stage but bass felt like it carried just a little more weight and depth. Vocals felt a touch more forward, overall sound felt very immediate and punchy. There was great separation, width, imaging and detail. I understand this is the preferred spot for the SIL op amps.

7) IB: V6 Classic; VCB: Sonic Imagery Labs 994; VG: V6 Vivid
As a final test, I figured I may as well pop the V6 Classics in the input buffer stage, given I liked what they did earlier. And bingo, we have a winner (for the moment)! The natural, organic, nuanced character of vocals is back, together with the bass depth and control from the SIL 994 in the voltage control buffer stage. Treble has a lovely natural decay; imaging is precise with great separation of instruments where needed; backing vocals and more subtle aspects in tracks are all immediately noticeable but fully integrated into the overall track.

For the time being, that's how the amp will stay. I know I need to try the Sparkos SS2590s in place of the V6 Classics, but I don't have those to hand atm.

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #1,885 of 2,265
Added the Muzg Audio op amps to my voltage gain stage. :relaxed:

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #1,886 of 2,265
Jun 10, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #1,887 of 2,265
Going to try changing opamps for the first time, was able to get a cheap pair of v6 classic. Which is the first stage to try? To get benefit of speed of the vivid v6 and smoothnes of the classic? Because the gt has 3 different stages?

Jun 10, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #1,888 of 2,265
Going to try changing opamps for the first time, was able to get a cheap pair of v6 classic. Which is the first stage to try? To get benefit of speed of the vivid v6 and smoothnes of the classic? Because the gt has 3 different stages?
I don't know if you read my post (#1884) but I'd recommend putting your V6 Classics in the Input Buffer stage.

1686439192032.png

Jun 11, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #1,890 of 2,265
Thanks.

I see you changed the other stage as well, what did change sound signature wise with those?
Sorry, did you read my post here? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...sub-out-10w-xlr.959796/page-126#post-17579137

The only location where I found the V6 Classics worked for me was in the Input Buffer stage, as pictured. I found the sound softer, darker and lighter in terms of bass impact with the V6 Classics in either the Voltage Control Buffer or Voltage Gain stage.

The Sonic Imagery Labs 994s work great (for me) in the Voltage Control Buffer stage. The bass was more impactful, mids a touch more forwards (which I like) and treble retained a very natural character. I have a pair of Sparkos SS2590s on order, which should hopefully arrive this coming week. I'll report back once I have chance to test them.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back