Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Apr 2, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,816 of 2,327
In my experience with the 3XP the supercharger represents a decent upgrade. i.e. darker background and better dynamics. It is not earth shattering but noticeable.
I noticed a positive impact more if the Supercharger was plugged directly to my wall vs. stock power supply. However, into my PS Audio power mains power conditioner, which is already doing a solid job, it was much less obvious.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,818 of 2,327
anyone have a source for orange dual opamps? my retailer profusion has sold out.
after trying for many months I was finally able to buy them from their US Webstore - haven't received them yet though

Apr 4, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #1,821 of 2,327
I think the change in the GT is due to a change in Burson component suppliers. Apparently this measure is forced, rather than a deliberate refinement of the amplifier. They didn't even begin to designate it as "MK2". Differences by ear will be almost indistinguishable. You will hear much more differences from any amplifier, depending on what mood you woke up with. :sunglasses:
I'm confused - looks like they upgraded the 2023 to "Silent Power Modules" and transitioning from the LM317 low noise regulator (120µV) to the more advanced LT1963 (40µV) and they managed to raise s/n "3X GT to attain a remarkable Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) of 116dB" but the range is same as it was before in specs without salient power modules- ranging from 109 db (for 300ohm) through 112 (at 16ohms) - I see no change - maybe late in updating? I can say I use all Sparkos SS2590s in my Soloist 3X GT w/Super Charger 5A and really like how clean and honest while having soul from SS2590s really icing on cake - I cant imagine the upgrade for power modules making a audible difference - it would be nice if they had drop in modules like the OPAs- wonder if they will honor an upgrade for shipping fees?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #1,825 of 2,327
Has anyone tried HD800s on GT. It sounds exceedingly bright on it without EQ. Does it have anything to do with the opamp it came with inside the amp?

Well you choose the famous bright headphone to begin with. GT is more transparent and "honest" compared to any other Burson. If your song tend to at brighter side, then GT would reveal it clearly.

Which amp you ever tested that sound ok with HD800s?

Changing op amp to V6 Classic could help to darken the treble and add fuller midrange / bass area.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,827 of 2,327
Well you choose the famous bright headphone to begin with. GT is more transparent and "honest" compared to any other Burson. If your song tend to at brighter side, then GT would reveal it clearly.

Which amp you ever tested that sound ok with HD800s?

Changing op amp to V6 Classic could help to darken the treble and add fuller midrange / bass area.
My other amp is audio-gd m9 connected to rme adi2.. GT has better separation but makes every headphone sound so bright. Not sure if I have a faulty unit of GT or GT is a bright sounding amp.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #1,828 of 2,327
My other amp is audio-gd m9 connected to rme adi2.. GT has better separation but makes every headphone sound so bright. Not sure if I have a faulty unit of GT or GT is a bright sounding amp.

well bright/dark really depend on your perception of sound. However, after I tried so many solid state amps out there, i would categorised GT as neutral with a hint of warmness. Something like Ferrum is at warmer side, while topping/smsl at colder side. Never heard Master9, but I read good things about that amp.

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #1,830 of 2,327
DSC_0182.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back