Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 30, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,681 of 2,327
Has anyone tested both the SE and Balanced headphone out, is there any SQ improvement in balanced out?
I’m yet to have a balanced headphone cable and wondering whether if it’s a better option before getting a balanced cable.

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #1,682 of 2,327
Has anyone tested both the SE and Balanced headphone out, is there any SQ improvement in balanced out?
I’m yet to have a balanced headphone cable and wondering whether if it’s a better option before getting a balanced cable.
@rush1 If your not using the XLR balanced out to a set of headphones then the power on the 1/4 out is half the power... so the balanced XLR out is very different... in balanced mode it uses two separate amp stages..... the version that doesn't have the XLR outputs has a completely different amp section so that its output (1/4) puts out 10 watts on 1/4 ... the unit with both 1/4 and XLR has 10 watts output on the XLR and 5 watts out on the 1/4 ... the version that has both 1/4 and XLR will give more power options for different headphones.... you can also change the gain settings in combo with the output sockets..

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #1,683 of 2,327
@rush1 If your not using the XLR balanced out to a set of headphones then the power on the 1/4 out is half the power... so the balanced XLR out is very different... in balanced mode it uses two separate amp stages..... the version that doesn't have the XLR outputs has a completely different amp section so that its output (1/4) puts out 10 watts on 1/4 ... the unit with both 1/4 and XLR has 10 watts output on the XLR and 5 watts out on the 1/4 ... the version that has both 1/4 and XLR will give more power options for different headphones.... you can also change the gain settings in combo with the output sockets..
Dear @Dixter thanks for replying,

My 3X GT has both ¼ and XLR outs; thus if I’m only using the ¼” it only outputs 5 watts?
and yes, mine has 3 gain settings in the menu.

Ah so now I remembered, when I auditioned the amp, I felt it has more authoritative sound (if I may describe it correctly) everything is more solid and vigorous I may say, all across medium of sound. And it was using the balanced out :)

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #1,684 of 2,327
I am trialing config 9 after living with config 8 for a month. I will give it at least 50 hours to burn in my new pair of 3602 op-amps at the voltage stage.

Strange feeling to be running this amp now with no colorful Burson op-amps. Kinda makes me re-think if I’d buy “Burson” again. Would that Sparkos Aries have been a better choice? Hmmm. I suppose ultimately what matters is whether it gets to a magical point for me regardless of whose silicon.

Did one hour of listening just to set a baseline tonight. It’s now faster than with the V6 Classics. Bass a little tighter, but less over all low end heft. Upper registers are brighter, but not to V6 levels. Details and resolution stepped up. Maybe a touch bright? Might be just right?

Will have to weigh in on staging difference in time. “Seemed” a bit more intimate on first listen.

More in the weeks ahead.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,685 of 2,327
I am trialing config 9 after living with config 8 for a month. I will give it at least 50 hours to burn in my new pair of 3602 op-amps at the voltage stage.

Strange feeling to be running this amp now with no colorful Burson op-omps. Kinda makes me re-think if I’d buy “Burson” again. Would that Sparkos Aries have been a better choice? Hmmm. I suppose ultimately what matters is whether it gets to a magical point for me regardless of whose silicon.

Did one hour of listening just to set a baseline tonight. It’s now faster than with the V6 Classics. Bass a little tighter, but less over all low end heft. Upper registers are brighter, but not to V6 levels. Details and resolution stepped up. Maybe a touch bright? Might be just right?

Will have to weigh in on staging difference in time. “Seemed” a bit more intimate on first listen.

More in the weeks ahead.
The brightness at 1.8-2kHz rolled off for me and down to normal levels that I've compared to my FA-12. Low end is strong on my end, and I didn't notice any difference from the beginning.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #1,686 of 2,327
Well, I moved back to the Vivid V6 today. To my surprise the Vivids do have elevated sub-bass compared to the SS3602. The sub-bass with the SS3602 is clean and on a normal amount level, it's there and it will rumble when the volume is turned up. In addition, I think the sub-bass is rolled off around the 40Hz range, I just did a quick EQ test, but I will need to do more testing on this matter. The Vivids really sounds like a V shaped soundscape in contrast with the SS3602. The ladder is much warmer and vocals, wind and string instruments sounds life like. The Vivids do have a slightly wider and deeper soundstage. But I can't stand the Vivid's V shape after hearing the SS3602 so I'm moving back to the SS3602 and do more burn in. Moreover, I am running another set of SS3602 in my Gustard P26 Class-A preamp which increased the imaging and transients in my setup.

1670649936540.png

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #1,687 of 2,327
Well, I moved back to the Vivid V6 today. To my surprise the Vivids do have elevated sub-bass compared to the SS3602. The sub-bass with the SS3602 is clean and on a normal amount level, it's there and it will rumble when the volume is turned up. In addition, I think the sub-bass is rolled off around the 40Hz range, I just did a quick EQ test, but I will need to do more testing on this matter. The Vivids really sounds like a V shaped soundscape in contrast with the SS3602. The ladder is much warmer and vocals, wind and string instruments sounds life like. The Vivids do have a slightly wider and deeper soundstage. But I can't stand the Vivid's V shape after hearing the SS3602 so I'm moving back to the SS3602 and do more burn in. Moreover, I am running another set of SS3602 in my Gustard P26 Class-A preamp which increased the imaging and transients in my setup.

1670649936540.png
If you use foobar, you can alternate between the Gustard P26 @ level 99 with the Vivid Opamps and foobar at -25dB, and the P26 @ level 50 with foobar at line level (0).
The vivid opamps increase the low end (actually gets muddy at times depending on the rest of the audio chain) and also rolls off the top end noticeably.

Next month I will own the Soloist GT and plan to experiment with the seemingly unknown variable to this thread - Staccato opamps!

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #1,688 of 2,327

Strange feeling to be running this amp now with no colorful Burson op-amps. Kinda makes me re-think if I’d buy “Burson” again. Would that Sparkos Aries have been a better choice? Hmmm. I suppose ultimately what matters is whether it gets to a magical point for me regardless of whose silicon.

More in the weeks ahead.
I demoed the Sparkos Aries and the Soloist 3X GT edged it out in overall sound quality with the upgraded op-amps. In stock form, the Aries is a heck of a single ended amp. It does lacks the drive for tougher loads, which the Burson handles easily. The dual mono configuration of the Soloist 3X GT also gives it an sonic advantage. With that said, the Sparkos op-amps on their own are better than the V6 Vivids in my opinion. They improve the sonics of Soloist 3X GT immensely.

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #1,689 of 2,327
No I don't have supercharger at the moment. Now my 3GT is powered with linear PSU which I order from local builder.

Compare to stock switching psu, I can tell with LPSU the sound is smoother, tighter bass and more detailed also. It doesn't change the timbre extremely, still same signature except with additional quality above.

I shall have the supercharger next month, will make comparison.
Probably I overlooked the answer in this thread. Did you make a comparison between the Supercharger and the LPSU? Thanks

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,690 of 2,327
If you use foobar, you can alternate between the Gustard P26 @ level 99 with the Vivid Opamps and foobar at -25dB, and the P26 @ level 50 with foobar at line level (0).
The vivid opamps increase the low end (actually gets muddy at times depending on the rest of the audio chain) and also rolls off the top end noticeably.

Next month I will own the Soloist GT and plan to experiment with the seemingly unknown variable to this thread - Staccato opamps!
This is interesting, I tried this with the Amazon streaming app volume at 50 and P26 at 50 and it works like you said. I was checking for sub-bass and it definitely increased in amount, I will check for other changes. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #1,691 of 2,327

1670649936540.png
I want to try this configuration. I've been using configuration #2 since obtaining the SIL 994's and SS2590. I made the move yesterday to configuration #1 and I'm loving the added bass presence and mid-forward sound. This works very well with the headphones I have in my collection. My Diana TC's benefit the most from this configuration. The midrange is no longer slightly recessed and the sub bass is a lot more prominent now. The Diana TC's are rocking as I'm listening to them as I type.

I've always considered the SS3602's to be better than the V6 Vivids just for the reason you've described. I think adding them to the Voltage Gain stage could the final/best configuration for me. Thanks for all the research and trials you've done. It's a huge benefit to owners of the Soloist 3X GT. It's helping all of us who own this great amp maximize it's performance and making it even tougher to beat in comparison tests.

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #1,692 of 2,327
I just picked up a pair of Burson V6 Classics. Can I have advice from those who are more knowledgeable as to where they are best suited in the 3X Gt please, or is it a matter of trial and error/preference?

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #1,693 of 2,327
I just picked up a pair of Burson V6 Classics. Can I have advice from those who are more knowledgeable as to where they are best suited in the 3X Gt please, or is it a matter of trial and error/preference?
Most are using them in the voltage gain stage, but don't hesitate to try them in other positions. @lightoflight has a link to his writeup in his post here. He's basically tried them in all positions and offers up commentary of how they sound. Check it out because the writeup is great!

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #1,694 of 2,327
Probably I overlooked the answer in this thread. Did you make a comparison between the Supercharger and the LPSU? Thanks
I have sold my GT a few months ago, so as far as I recall, linear power has tighter bass, slightly deeper staging.

Super charger is a good switching power supply as well. It will improve SQ from the stock SPS, you won't be dissapointed.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #1,695 of 2,327
I have sold my GT a few months ago, so as far as I recall, linear power has tighter bass, slightly deeper staging.

Super charger is a good switching power supply as well. It will improve SQ from the stock SPS, you won't be dissapointed.
Thank you. I use the GT with the super charger from the beginning. Just wonder if I need to upgrade it with a very good LPSU..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back