Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,697 of 2,326
Supercharger is probably as good as a switch mode can get for now
Yes, I like how it works for the GT.

The idea to try a LPSU is mainly driven by my recent positive experience with my streamer when I replaced the ipowerX unit with the LPSU.

DSC_0259_1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #1,698 of 2,326
Thank you. I use the GT with the super charger from the beginning. Just wonder if I need to upgrade it with a very good LPSU..
Adding a linear power supply won't be that much of an improvement over the super charger. Having the super charger along with the op-amp upgrades transforms the GT into one of the best solid state amps out today.

I cycled through a number of high end amps, Luxman P-750u, HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, Yulong DA-1, XI Audio Formula S/Powerman, and a host of others. I prefer the sound and performance of the Soloist 3X GT with super charger and upgraded op-amps over those. Burson got it right with this one.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #1,700 of 2,326
I have Ferrum HYPSOS and it's not as good as a supercharger, also recently tried configuration 8 and the sound is really good, but the configuration 2 is still my favorite, I also ordered the orange Dual Discrete Op-Amp has not arrived yet, someone uses the orange Dual Discrete Op-Amp? Can you tell me how to install the directions separately?

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #1,701 of 2,326
Well, there is a room for more experiments with the sound along with the streamer/ DAC / power supply upgrades... :wink:
Yes, every piece in your chain matters when it comes to maximizing performance. Eventually I want to add a streamer to go in front on my M-Scaler. I'm also thinking about swapping out the power supply in my DAVE with an LPS.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,703 of 2,326
I was having issues with low bass/separation in my system. I opened up the GT, blew out the dust and went back to stock config and that solved all my issues. (Previously config 2)

Can't tell if it was the config change or the dust buildup causing these problems because I remember config 2 having tons of bass but it just stopped after awhile.

EDIT: config 1 i mean

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #1,704 of 2,326
I was having issues with low bass/separation in my system. I opened up the GT, blew out the dust and went back to stock config and that solved all my issues. (Previously config 2)

Can't tell if it was the config change or the dust buildup causing these problems because I remember config 2 having tons of bass but it just stopped after awhile.
Interesting, I was using config #2 for the longest time. Very recently, I went to config #1. It's strange that the sound just dropped off like that.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,705 of 2,326
Interesting, I was using config #2 for the longest time. Very recently, I went to config #1. It's strange that the sound just dropped off like that.
Yeah. I always thought the problem was the TC but as I've come to learn after about a year in this game: the headphones simply just do what the electronics tell them to. If you aren't hearing what you want to, mostly all of the time it will be the electronics.

That said I'll go back to trying other configs as running all Vivids is in no way optimal lol.

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,706 of 2,326
Yeah. I always thought the problem was the TC but as I've come to learn after about a year in this game: the headphones simply just do what the electronics tell them to. If you aren't hearing what you want to, mostly all of the time it will be the electronics.

That said I'll go back to trying other configs as running all Vivids is in no way optimal lol.
Having a good source chain is very important in our hobby. Maybe more important than the headphones themselves. I tried building a system around the Susvara's and it didn't workout that great. It optimized the Susvara's sound, but my other headphones not so much.

What I like about the Soloist 3X GT is flexibility to tweak its sound. It's very good in stock form with the Vivids, but it's great with the upgraded op-amps. Hopefully, the root cause of your issues was dust. That way you can get back to enjoying the GT in its best configuration.

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,707 of 2,326
Thanks...and it definitely was the dust.

What is the best config? I moved the Sonics up to the volt gain as I feel that is the stage most sensitive to the characteristic of the op amp. Feels like you have even more detail and bass than having the Vivid there blurring it all up.

Dec 19, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,708 of 2,326
Thanks...and it definitely was the dust.

What is the best config? I moved the Sonics up to the volt gain as I feel that is the stage most sensitive to the characteristic of the op amp. Feels like you have even more detail and bass than having the Vivid there blurring it all up.
It’s really comes down to what’s sounds good to you and what works well with your headphones. I really liked configuration #2, which sounds a little bit more resolute and spacious, but gives up a little impact and dynamics. I like configuration #1 because my headphones are high resolution already. This configuration works better with my headphones as it gives them more bass presence, a midrange boost because forward presentation, and improves their dynamics.

The GT has incredible drive and power. It has a naturally clean and spacious sound with good resolution on its own. It’s crazy to me that it can be made better. The Soloist 3X GT is my favorite solid state amp to date.

Dec 22, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #1,709 of 2,326
I am feeding the soloist 3x gt to susvara. To make the story short, I found that if I use my singxer sa-1 as a pre-amp and feed that into the 3xgt, I am getting slightly better bass, while also getting very slightly less clean treble, but that's ok. The sa-1 is set to high gain, and pretty much has the knob turned to the max. Xlr balanced throughout. With the sa-1, I set the amp to mid gain and volume normally stays around 25. Without the sa-1, I need high gain with nominal volume at about 40. My question is: will using the sa-1 with this kind of setting cause any potential damage the amp?

Dec 22, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #1,710 of 2,326
I am feeding the soloist 3x gt to susvara. To make the story short, I found that if I use my singxer sa-1 as a pre-amp and feed that into the 3xgt, I am getting slightly better bass, while also getting very slightly less clean treble, but that's ok. The sa-1 is set to high gain, and pretty much has the knob turned to the max. Xlr balanced throughout. With the sa-1, I set the amp to mid gain and volume normally stays around 25. Without the sa-1, I need high gain with nominal volume at about 40. My question is: will using the sa-1 with this kind of setting cause any potential damage the amp?
I don’t think so, I have a friend who daisy chains his amps. You are technically double amping, so be careful with the volume levels you are feeding the GT. It does have max input voltage rating that you don’t want to exceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back