Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 14, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #106 of 2,327
Just got the 3gt, did some testing between 3x in headphone amp mode and preamp mode.
I will include some comparison with ferrum oor and gsx mini based on my memory.
I am not the type that do long term comparison , quick ab on the same track at certain selected time point is the method. I believe if you can't hear the difference immediately, it's not there or at least not worth noticing.

PS 1. I use audio quest night owl and adx 5000 bal
2.The 5a supercharger psu is exactly the same shape and size of the 3a one but about 20% heavier
3.You can't hear the fan at all. It's definitely quieter than my room.
4. there is dc offset on start up and shut down of the 3gt. If you are like me connect a pair of active monitor to the 3gt, you gonna hear loud pop on you speak same as 3x.
5.the volume knob is still terrible, very easy to misbehave the way you want it to be.
6.the interface design is unthoughtful. They dedicated one buttons to rotate the screen, which is barely used for any one. If the use this button for crossfeed or just the select button instead of pressing the knob , it would make much more sense..

Ok here is the conclusion , 3gt is transparent, more so than gsx mini, ferrum oor , 3x
About the same level of tt2 but not hugo2 yet. Noise level is significantly lower than 3x and gsx mini on high gain.

Soundstage is very good, with the best depth perception among others. Dynamics is on par with gsx mini

Resolution is very good, detailed and controlled. On the same level of ferrum oor.

Imagining is top tier, better than the others.very vivid and holographic. Corssfeed is done well, you trade a bit of transparency for much better frontal depth. I think it's the best implementation of such feature I be heard so far. Better than Hugo and ifi stuff.

However those improvement is much more obvious in headphone amp mode than preamp mode.

sound wise 3gt is definitely a total headphone amp, however the interface design is flawed. Makes it less ideal and compelling as a top tier product.the dc offset problem is not only annoying but also dangerous for you other equipment, I wish burson would find a way to fix it.

I will keep updating if anything new came up. I am way pass the hype for new gear period of my life.but I am still thrilled for a while with 3gt.

Thank you for reading this gibberish, if you got any questions I will answer to the best of my knowledge.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me more excited to receive mine. Hope you continue to do so as you have more time with the device.

Were you able to compare stock PSU vs Supercharger? I’m quite curious how much audible difference the SC makes on an already excellent sounding amp.

Too bad for the interface design. I probably won’t mind it after a while. If using the remote control instead, will the navigation improve significantly?

For dc offset, Does it mean it would be better to make sure headphones are unplugged before switching the amp on? I’m not familiar with dc offset in general, and what to watch out for.

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #107 of 2,327
About the same level of tt2 but not hugo2 yet.
Hugo 2? Do you mean anything else?
Hugo 2 is a DAC/amp with a low power output (740mW 32Ω)...it can not drive many headphones properly.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #109 of 2,327
Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me more excited to receive mine. Hope you continue to do so as you have more time with the device.

Were you able to compare stock PSU vs Supercharger? I’m quite curious how much audible difference the SC makes on an already excellent sounding amp.

Too bad for the interface design. I probably won’t mind it after a while. If using the remote control instead, will the navigation improve significantly?

For dc offset, Does it mean it would be better to make sure headphones are unplugged before switching the amp on? I’m not familiar with dc offset in general, and what to watch out for.
Mine does not come with the standard psu. I am intended to try ferrum hypsos with 3gt soon

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #110 of 2,327
Do I understand correctly that there is no a headphone power amp mode on the GT?
Can I still control the volume from the DAC anyhow (to bypass the GT volume control)?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #111 of 2,327
Do I understand correctly that there is no a headphone power amp mode on the GT?
Can I still control the volume from the DAC anyhow (to bypass the GT volume control)?
I asked Burson this question directly and this was their response:

The Soloist 3X GT has no power amp mode as the preamps installed in this unit are far superior to our Soloist 3XP.

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #116 of 2,327
Well you know, patience is when Susvara is about to arrive and you don’t have the amp yet 😜
I'm literally that person. Have had the Susvara for over 3 weeks and no amp to power it (properly). :sweat_smile:

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #117 of 2,327
Finally got the package yesterday, these should be the first batch distributed out of HK, and pre-orders in China seem to be the first ones to arrive

Some comparisons with Conductor 3X Reference before it's being sold

202111161119370.jpg

Exactly same front

202111161119373.jpg

202111161119374.jpg

Cooling from the Noctua fan, heat comes out off the backside

Temperature is fine, not too hot after several hours of running

202111161119375.jpg

202111161119376.jpg

Total package with pre-order bonus, extra V6 Classics are purely provided for testing purpose

202111161119372.jpg

New Super Charger 5A, same model number as 3A MCPS-007, looks to be identical in size

202111161119378.jpg

Burn-In Mode Activated

202111161119377.jpg

2021111611193710.jpg

Some initial thoughts with Susvara: Compared to the QA390LE, the most obvious improvement comes from the low end, the bass now has more slam and impact, soundstage wise there is more depth, imaging also becomes clearer, more to be discovered after the burn-in period.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #119 of 2,327
Why don't you keep the Conductor and use it as a pure DAC now?
Because C3XR was meant to be temporal stay before 3XGT comes, I'm pursuing the goal of driving Susvara relatively well in a compact and portable way, figured QA390LE being a perfect source & decent DAC paring with 3XGT should do the trick, and it turns out to be the case. I'm also interested in trying R2R DAC (eg: Holo May) just to see how much improvement can be achieved with 3XGT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back