Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Oct 30, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #91 of 2,327
The Susvara for me is mysterious. On paper, it shouldn’t require so much. But collective ears couldn’t lie— they open up and sing out of speaker amps. The increased bass physicality is not just heard but literally felt on the cheek. I dunno what it is with the drivers that an even more powerful amplifier than what paper specs require is still able to squeeze out more out of the Susvara. I guess that’s why Hifiman created the EF1000 which is more powerful than sensible but is also the best you can hear the Susvara out of. So, as a Susvara owner, I definitely welcome the GT’s power output that’s higher than what seems necessary.

I think the difference comes down to power supply and capacitor/power reserves.

Speaker amps need to be able to deliver more power more quickly than headphone amps typically do, so they have much larger power supplies, capacitors, etc, so that they can motivate a tower with 3 10” woofers to hit a 30hz bass note at 110db at a moment’s notice.

While headphones use a fraction of the power that speakers do, even exceptionally inefficient headphones like the Susvara, I think they can still take advantage of those deeper current reserves and ability to deliver extra power more quickly. You may only be using milliwatts the vast majority of the time, but when it comes to bass if the headphone needs a sudden surge of power, a speaker amp or overbuilt headphone amp with a very robust power delivery system can do it better.

I noticed an increase in bass slam and performance on my HE6se when I upgraded from a Massdrop THX 789 to a Schiit Ragnarok 2.

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #92 of 2,327
Local dealer here in China just informed me 3XGT should arrive in a week time, however I'm having serious trouble making decision between Volot and 3XGT, on paper Volot seems to have 2X power output (16 vs 8 Watts in 32 Ohm), so technically this should be the best headphone amp for Susvara, but 3XGT is much more compact, which suit my needs well when paring with already portable QA390LE...
both amps have more than enough for Susvara, I dont think at this level we can say which one is better only from the power output

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #94 of 2,327
I screenshot that offer to the local dealer here in China last Saturday, got an update this morning from him saying AU will send the unit with SuperCharger 5A for free (ETA November 10th) with then pre-order discount offer even though I have yet to place the order!!! So I immediately asked for Taobao link which he says would be sent to me later as an individual item. This is a great way of doing business IMO, and I'm super excited to start new journey with Burson.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #95 of 2,327
i heard the upgrade psu will be release with 3gt
is it true?
Got an email from Burson, those who preordered will receive the GT with free upgraded psu (5A supercharger). I preordered in Sept and they confirmed mine will be shipped with it. They had an offer for GT with free Supercharger from 27-29 October but I dunno if they extended that promo.

Nov 12, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #102 of 2,327
pretty sure Sandu has one on his way... Jay (soulsik, the next best thing, Iyagi) has confirmed he has received his already as well.

They are the normal reviewers that Burson goes to.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #105 of 2,327
Just got the 3gt, did some testing between 3x in headphone amp mode and preamp mode.
I will include some comparison with ferrum oor and gsx mini based on my memory.
I am not the type that do long term comparison , quick ab on the same track at certain selected time point is the method. I believe if you can't hear the difference immediately, it's not there or at least not worth noticing.

PS 1. I use audio quest night owl and adx 5000 bal
2.The 5a supercharger psu is exactly the same shape and size of the 3a one but about 20% heavier
3.You can't hear the fan at all. It's definitely quieter than my room.
4. there is dc offset on start up and shut down of the 3gt. If you are like me connect a pair of active monitor to the 3gt, you gonna hear loud pop on you speak same as 3x.
5.the volume knob is still terrible, very easy to misbehave the way you want it to be.
6.the interface design is unthoughtful. They dedicated one buttons to rotate the screen, which is barely used for any one. If the use this button for crossfeed or just the select button instead of pressing the knob , it would make much more sense..

Ok here is the conclusion , 3gt is transparent, more so than gsx mini, ferrum oor , 3x
About the same level of tt2 but not hugo2 yet. Noise level is significantly lower than 3x and gsx mini on high gain.

Soundstage is very good, with the best depth perception among others. Dynamics is on par with gsx mini

Resolution is very good, detailed and controlled. On the same level of ferrum oor.

Imagining is top tier, better than the others.very vivid and holographic. Corssfeed is done well, you trade a bit of transparency for much better frontal depth. I think it's the best implementation of such feature I be heard so far. Better than Hugo and ifi stuff.

However those improvement is much more obvious in headphone amp mode than preamp mode.

sound wise 3gt is definitely a total headphone amp, however the interface design is flawed. Makes it less ideal and compelling as a top tier product.the dc offset problem is not only annoying but also dangerous for you other equipment, I wish burson would find a way to fix it.

I will keep updating if anything new came up. I am way pass the hype for new gear period of my life.but I am still thrilled for a while with 3gt.

Thank you for reading this gibberish, if you got any questions I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back