Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Mar 15, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #2,222 of 2,256
Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #2,223 of 2,256
Just picked up a Super Charger. I got it cheap and was unsure if I'd actually hear any differnce even on the Arya Stealths and with the PSU plugged into a power conditioner (albeit a cheap extention one)

Tested the Super Charger plugged direct into the wall. Tired a few tracks and thought, yeah maybe. But then came along one of my fave songs by Nick Cave, Bring it on. Damn.

The peaks of Nicks voice were tamed a little so too the violin at the start and the cowbell/mentronome sound seemed higher (still for a Planar) in the air, but his whole voice came through just a little better, like everything was contollled a little better.

The biggest change was at the beginning there's the three strum guitar that came to life. Instead of just hearing them as quite flat with no space or air with the std supply, they are now moving around in and out with a little front to back movement and have a bit of echo to them? To the point I had a little goosebumps or a tingle in my ears.

An odd choice of song but Metallica's Ronnie Rising Medley, Lars has a drum fill around 2:35 which had more.....presence and again seemed more accurate and detail....less supressed.

Want to test more especially with accoustic, classical and electronic music and Dark Knight OST.

but yeah I'm amazed. Not at the product itself, but more that I could actually hear the change that everyone

Just picked up a Super Charger. I got it cheap and was unsure if I'd actually hear any differnce even on the Arya Stealths and with the PSU plugged into a power conditioner (albeit a cheap extention one)

Tested the Super Charger plugged direct into the wall. Tired a few tracks and thought, yeah maybe. But then came along one of my fave songs by Nick Cave, Bring it on. Damn.

The peaks of Nicks voice were tamed a little so too the violin at the start and the cowbell/mentronome sound seemed higher (still for a Planar) in the air, but his whole voice came through just a little better, like everything was contollled a little better.

The biggest change was at the beginning there's the three strum guitar that came to life. Instead of just hearing them as quite flat with no space or air with the std supply, they are now moving around in and out with a little front to back movement and have a bit of echo to them? To the point I had a little goosebumps or a tingle in my ears.

An odd choice of song but Metallica's Ronnie Rising Medley, Lars has a drum fill around 2:35 which had more.....presence and again seemed more accurate and detail....less supressed.

Want to test more especially with accoustic, classical and electronic music and Dark Knight OST.

but yeah I'm amazed. Not at the product itself, but more that I could actually hear the change that everyone else has.
Just bought a 2023 3x gt with sp02 and was supposed to come with 5a too but didn't. I've been able to source one at a great deal so very much looking forward to it.

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #2,224 of 2,256
Regarding the Supercharger, one thing that has always puzzled me is the need for 3 & 5 amp versions. I tested my 3GT (Single Ended) at max volume on high gain and it used around .8 of an amp with no sudden spikes on startup. The balanced 3XGT will use a bit more power, but I can't see how this amp would ever pull more than 1-2 amps in any situation. Does anyone happen to know why Burson requires a 5amp supply for the GT series?

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #2,225 of 2,256
My Soloist 3X Grand Tourer 2023 Model was taking 74 Watts without any audio signal going in, as per https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-soloist-3x-grand-tourer.25668/reviews#review-31286. I haven't measured power consumption when driving low sensitivity cans, but I'm guessing that the 5A/24V (120W) PSU should do very well given that it was designed for amplifiers like this, while the 3A/24V (72W) PSU would be inadequate to use in such an amplifier given it's rather high power consumption from the Class A output stage and the new V7 Pro op-amps.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #2,226 of 2,256
74 Watts without any audio signal going in, as per https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-soloist-3x-grand-tourer.25668/reviews#review-31286. I haven't measured power consumption when driving low sensitivity cans, but I'm guessing that the 5A/24V (120W) PSU should do very well

That's what I was missing, thank you! The .8 amp I measured was from the wall, not output from the supercharger. From the wall .8 amp at 120 volts is 86.4 watts. 86.4 watts from the supercharger at 24 volts is 3.6 amps. So while power from the outlet will never exceed 1-2 amps, the GT series uses more than 3 amps from the supercharger even at idle. For that reason the GT has to use the supercharger 5A instead of the 3A.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #2,227 of 2,256
I rolled in the new V7 Classics into the Volume stage for a comparison to my V6 Classics in the same position. I have had V6 Classics there for nearly a year and always preferred the V6 Classics to the V6 Vivids (in any position).

My favorite way to explain what I heard reminds me of going to the optometrist for a prescription check. The doc rotates through the lenses and asks better or worse? And each change is subtle, but ultimately you are honing in on a clearer view of what you are looking at. Now imagine replacing "view" with "sound". The V7 Classics are in just bit better sonic focus compared to the V6 Classics. I can hear details slightly better, especially from notes that are not the main feature of the song. Stage is a bit wider. Low-end timbre a bit better (think of bass note plucks as slightly more cleaned up, less fuzzy). What is preserved though is the richness and smoothness that had me always liking the Classics in the first place.

I don't know if it is a con, or even the best way to describe, but they sound slightly slower. It may be because they are less smeared and more detailed. By defining notes slightly better and letting them hang in a space a bit more on their own, I felt like the pace of the music slowed a touch. I actually think what I am hearing is a background effect as the V7 Classics sound blacker/quieter than my V6 Classics---this may actually be what Burson improved in the V7 Classic technical design. Thus, I think what is happening in this comparison is that the detail improved focus comes as a function of a blacker background---not so much a direct enhancement of the notes themselves. When I think about the SPM-2 modules and everything Burson is doing on power, it may be that they have a real skill in pushing out every bit of noise from the IC designs. I think I will ultimately appreciate the resolution bump at whatever slight expense to perceived speed.

Bottom line is I am glad I footed the bill for these. They take my GT in a better direction for me, though by a modest amount.

Attachments

• opamps1.jpg
    opamps1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • opamps2.jpg
    opamps2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #2,228 of 2,256
Just got my upgraded 2023 Burson soloist 3X GT over the weekend (vivid v7 pro + SP-02 Silent Power modules) being fed by the Burson Composer 3XP with dual Sparkos SS2590 in the I/V stage and dual Sparkos SS3602. LP Stage.

Using 22 ohm headphones volume setting is at 01 any more is too loud. So far I'm liking the sound with Planar Magnetic Headphones closed and open.

Attachments

• DX_25027.jpg
    DX_25027.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DX_25029.jpg
    DX_25029.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 0
  • DX_25030.jpg
    DX_25030.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 25, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #2,229 of 2,256
Just got my upgraded 2023 Burson soloist 3X GT over the weekend (vivid v7 pro + SP-02 Silent Power modules) being fed by the Burson Composer 3XP with dual Sparkos SS2590 in the I/V stage and dual Sparkos SS3602. LP Stage.

Using 22 ohm headphones volume setting is at 01 any more is too loud. So far I'm liking the sound with Planar Magnetic Headphones closed and open.
Could you share what are the improvements on the upgrade did you hear?
I have the soloist 3X GT as well and are contemplating for the upgrades with the silent power too.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #2,230 of 2,256
will do, I still have the original V6 op-amps and the SP-01 modules.

the six V7 pro's will stay where they are for now. I'll start swapping the SP02 with the SP01 power modules see if it's worth the $300 upgrade. I don't have the 5A super charger

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #2,231 of 2,256
Hey guys clocking in, long time first time here.

I purchased 4x V7 Vivids and 2x V7 Classics to put into my Soloist 3X GT 2023 (w/SP-02's and 5A supercharger) on the advice of raoultrifan and others. Fed by Gustard R26 and listened to on LCD-X 2021 EQ'ed.

The Vivids arrived a week earlier than the classics and so far around 30 hours burn in total. I first listened to the V7 Vivids in the Gain and Input stages with the V6 Vivid in the volume. There is a definite smoothness and refinement over the V6, lessened the harshness of highs, while bass was more dynamic and punchy. Separation of sound and details seemed slightly enhanced.

Putting the V7 Classics in the input stage and the V7 Vivids in the Volume and Gain stages took that refinement further. The harshness of the relatively "V'shaped" soloist was gone but resolution and detail remained. Mids were pleasantly enhanced. Female vocals and instruments became smooth and sweet. More accurate timbre. A very enjoyable and effortless listening experience without worrying about adjusting the volume during certain parts.

The bass was completely cleaned up of any bloat (I thought was not there in the first place) and instead produced a deep extended bass punch only when the song demanded it. This is a common feeling I experienced, thinking that it was already refined and then unlocking another level of refinement. The depth of stage, layering and holographic effect is also further enhanced I assume from cleaning up excess harshness and bloat.

I agree that the synergy of the 4 Vivids and 2 Classics is very enjoyable and musical. With the spec'ed out Soloist 2023 and R26 together I was already very impressed with the clarity, air, dynamics,layering, depth and dark background this setup revealed on the LCD-X I thought was not possible on these cans. The V7 combo takes that a couple steps further. I wonder how close is it really to the Voyager.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #2,233 of 2,256
[...] The V7 combo takes that a couple steps further. I wonder how close is it really to the Voyager.
With all the upgrades you have done (5A Supercharger, V7 op-amps, SP2 modules) I think you're pretty close to it, so no worries about. :)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #2,234 of 2,256
I think we're pretty close to it, so no worries about. :)
I'd hope so! After doing the math the cost of all the upgrades nearly add up to what the promo price of the Voyager was here in Australia.
I think they wanted to release a flagship without a fan and refine the FR edges of the Soloist GT.

I posted a burn in update to the V7 here

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #2,235 of 2,256
I am doubting if it is worth the effort to upgrade the soloist 3 xr gt soloist, it seems like it, reading the reviews the 2023 model and higher are extremely better than the 2022 model.

I have not heared the 2023 model so no idea… I have heared the voyager(sounds great!), but not willing to upgrade yet

So is it worthwhile? Somebody exchange the v6 vivids for v7 classic or v7 vivid on the 2022 model?
(I have the supercharger but mis the sp1/sp2 upgrade and upgraded tweaks ofcourse)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back