Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Sep 6, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,546 of 2,327
Apologies if I sound like a noob, been focusing on cables for the past few months & just getting around to op-amp rolling. Where would you orient the SIL994s and SS2590's on the Input Buffer, Voltage Gain, & Volume Control Buffer? Noticed many have different combinations for tuning the sound. Honestly just want a better version of the stock amp. Already love the clarity, impact, and soundstage the stock sound offers.
From a previous post; I've exported the images to .png and attaching them here

I believe #2 is widely regarded as the best configuration overall
Yep, #2 is what I've settle on. It's the most balanced sounding but the improvements to the sonics are abound throughout the frequency spectrum over stock.

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #1,547 of 2,327
I really like #1 configuration for my listening of mostly vocals and electronic instruments. For really good recordings with spectacular sound effects, the music floats in three-dimensional space.

Sep 7, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #1,548 of 2,327
Took the dive and ordered the sparkos and SIs to give config 1 and 2 a spin. I do get a sense of the slight detail smear some others have mentioned. I'm hoping it does come off as an all across upgrade. Was thinking of getting the oor/hypsos combo, but the common opinion seems to be that even with the slight detail smear, the GT is still more detailed and balanced. Not to mention I don't like that with the oor you cant switch between headphones and pre-amp either and they will always both be fed a signal.

Sep 7, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #1,549 of 2,327
Took the dive and ordered the sparkos and SIs to give config 1 and 2 a spin. I do get a sense of the slight detail smear some others have mentioned. I'm hoping it does come off as an all across upgrade. Was thinking of getting the oor/hypsos combo, but the common opinion seems to be that even with the slight detail smear, the GT is still more detailed and balanced. Not to mention I don't like that with the oor you cant switch between headphones and pre-amp either and they will always both be fed a signal.
About to take the plunge as well. Ordered some extensions for the V6 Vivids off eBay pretty cheap. Have rolled numerous tubes, just never an op-amp lol. Curious to see if it impacts the sound as much as a tube roll.

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #1,550 of 2,327
About to take the plunge as well. Ordered some extensions for the V6 Vivids off eBay pretty cheap. Have rolled numerous tubes, just never an op-amp lol. Curious to see if it impacts the sound as much as a tube roll.
It doeeees! But definitely not in a very tube-y way. Like getting different SS flavors.

Sep 9, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #1,551 of 2,327
SI opamps came today. Have to wait until Monday for the sparkos, and I have no idea when my extenders will arrive. Placed the SI's in the volume control for fun while everything else is still the V6s. I dont know if its necessarily better but I definitely have a better grasp of how it was a bit smeared before. Best I can come up with is that it sounds a bit cleaner with just the SI's in the volume control right now. Might keep the GT in the first config when the Sparkos comes until the extenders come(unless you dont need them to do config 2?)

Sep 9, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,552 of 2,327
SI opamps came today. Have to wait until Monday for the sparkos, and I have no idea when my extenders will arrive. Placed the SI's in the volume control for fun while everything else is still the V6s. I dont know if its necessarily better but I definitely have a better grasp of how it was a bit smeared before. Best I can come up with is that it sounds a bit cleaner with just the SI's in the volume control right now. Might keep the GT in the first config when the Sparkos comes until the extenders come(unless you dont need them to do config 2?)
Since you're familiar with the stock sound, if you're willing, try new configurations (not in the document) and give us feedback. I can update the document with the feedback. Take photos too. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #1,553 of 2,327
Those that have Sonic imagery in their volume control, do any of you get a faint pop when you turn the volume to 20 on low gain? I think it happens twice more going from 30-60 somewhere. I noticed it doesnt happen in medium.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #1,554 of 2,327
Those that have Sonic imagery in their volume control, do any of you get a faint pop when you turn the volume to 20 on low gain? I think it happens twice more going from 30-60 somewhere. I noticed it doesnt happen in medium.
Yes, this is something I have noticed as well. It is very faint, but I can hear it. And you are right I don't hear it on medium gain.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,556 of 2,327
1663012026582.png

From Poland with love..Muzg Audio Op-amps.. new favorites after Orange Amps Duals

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #1,557 of 2,327
Sep 13, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,559 of 2,327
From a previous post; I've exported the images to .png and attaching them here

I believe #2 is widely regarded as the best configuration overall
I tried group 4 which is just a pair of ss2590 and all vivids which I did not find made much improvement from stock.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to SILs because of delivery delays but I really highly recommend using a pair of ss3602 as another option that pairs fantastic with ss2590. 2 pairs of ss2590 is too much but a pair of ss3602 + a pair ss2590 does give what sounds like a few thousand dollars of improvement especially when it reaches a sound that I prefer over Bakoon or Wa33. I am still curious about the SIL, but the Sparkos are really doing the work.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #1,560 of 2,327

Users who are viewing this thread

Back