Burson Playmate 2 (3W, ESS9038 DAC, Pre amp, DSD512, USB-C, toslink)
Oct 28, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #137 of 280
One of the things I like is the fact that it’s fairly warm with the Vivid Opamps. The amp doesn’t try to resolve too much but maintains a very enjoyable sound signature on what it resolves.

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #139 of 280
One of the things I like is the fact that it’s fairly warm with the Vivid Opamps. The amp doesn’t try to resolve too much but maintains a very enjoyable sound signature on what it resolves.
Say what? I mean, I have a lot of amps and it resolves.. nicely just like others. Odd statement.

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #141 of 280
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a Denon D9200 from a fellow head-fi member, and now I'm just waiting for the headphone.

In the mean time I'm doing research on dac / amp upgrades.

Currently using Dragonfly Red and was looking at either Luxury and Precision W2 or Violectric Chronos.

But I'm also considering just getting a desktop unit so I'm looking at Burson Playtemate 2 also. But I have a few questions regarding op-amps.

I could either:

1) Stick to stock op-amp, and upgrade at a later point. Since some post says even stock is not bad at all.
2) Seems like the most recommended option is the V6 Vivid since it has the widest sound stage and most details.
3) I was reading some post that says V6 Classic has more intimate vocals and richer mid range texture, since I like intimate vocals would this be a better option than V6 Vivid? It always bugs me when vocal sound too far, I like the singing infront of you presentation more than big concert hall.

For reference I listen to a lot of female acoustic / pop / rock songs, so female vocal and guitar string need to sound forward / pronounced for me. Which is what I like about Dragonfly Red actually.

Oh another question is that since I'll be driving D9200, would I have enough usable volume range? It sounds like on some easy to drive headphone even low gain 1 volume is too loud?

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #142 of 280
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a Denon D9200 from a fellow head-fi member, and now I'm just waiting for the headphone.

In the mean time I'm doing research on dac / amp upgrades.

Currently using Dragonfly Red and was looking at either Luxury and Precision W2 or Violectric Chronos.

But I'm also considering just getting a desktop unit so I'm looking at Burson Playtemate 2 also. But I have a few questions regarding op-amps.

I could either:

1) Stick to stock op-amp, and upgrade at a later point. Since some post says even stock is not bad at all.
2) Seems like the most recommended option is the V6 Vivid since it has the widest sound stage and most details.
3) I was reading some post that says V6 Classic has more intimate vocals and richer mid range texture, since I like intimate vocals would this be a better option than V6 Vivid? It always bugs me when vocal sound too far, I like the singing infront of you presentation more than big concert hall.

For reference I listen to a lot of female acoustic / pop / rock songs, so female vocal and guitar string need to sound forward / pronounced for me. Which is what I like about Dragonfly Red actually.

Oh another question is that since I'll be driving D9200, would I have enough usable volume range? It sounds like on some easy to drive headphone even low gain 1 volume is too loud?

What do you guys think? Thanks!
I have used the denons before but with portable amps.
I currently use the Focal Clear with the playmate 2 and they are easy to drive.
The volume control is exponential therefore you will get usable volume with even iems.
As for opamps, I got mine with vivid and there is the vocal closeness for jazz.
You will enjoy them, in case you would like to change the sound you can always get the classic later.
Iam amazed by their sound and do t really know if it’s the amp or the headphone that has the spherical soundstage with amazing inky blacks in between.

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #143 of 280
I have a random question considering opamps, which is has anyone tried the single v6 classic paired with the dual v6 vivids? A mix and match of sorts? I have piece milled together opamps as time has gone on and have scored the v6 classics (single) and recently the v6 vivid (dual) and was wondering how those sound mixed in the playmate 2?

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #144 of 280
I have used the denons before but with portable amps.
LOL that's why I was debaing if I should just get Luxury and Precision W2 or Violectric Chronos and call it a day LOL.
As for opamps, I got mine with vivid and there is the vocal closeness for jazz.
You will enjoy them, in case you would like to change the sound you can always get the classic later.
lol but I find opamps are sooooooo expensive. It's like 50% the cost of Playmate 2. So I'd rather get it right the first time, leaning on Classic since I like more coloured sound LOL. I'll think about it a bit more but good to hear that Vivid has that closeness in vocal. :thumbsup:

Now another question, as I mentioned opamps are like 50% of the cost of Playmate 2, so it's like paying 150% of cost. Do you guys find the upgrade worth it?

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #145 of 280
With my PLAY original I had a version with the standard opamps and after it died I got one with the V6 Vivids. My impression of them compared to the standard ones was far more detail, a bigger soundstage and a cleaner as opposed to warmer sound. I love the Burson sound. My PM2 still has the original opamps installed, even though I have V6s (from my old PLAY) ready to go. But the sound is such an improvement that at this point I haven't bothered. The standard opamps, which aren't made by Burson, sound very good and as Burson is known for the quality of their opamps (along with Sparko) you can't go wrong. The big thing about the PM2 is it's ability to work with hard to drive cans. I have HD580s which are 300ohms and also not that sensitive. A setting around the 35/100 on the volume control just makes these sing!

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #147 of 280
With my PLAY original I had a version with the standard opamps and after it died I got one with the V6 Vivids. My impression of them compared to the standard ones was far more detail, a bigger soundstage and a cleaner as opposed to warmer sound. I love the Burson sound. My PM2 still has the original opamps installed, even though I have V6s (from my old PLAY) ready to go. But the sound is such an improvement that at this point I haven't bothered. The standard opamps, which aren't made by Burson, sound very good and as Burson is known for the quality of their opamps (along with Sparko) you can't go wrong. The big thing about the PM2 is it's ability to work with hard to drive cans. I have HD580s which are 300ohms and also not that sensitive. A setting around the 35/100 on the volume control just makes these sing!
Hey thanks for the reply!

Just making sure I read this correctly, you had an original playmate, then you got a V6 vivid playmate, then you got a playmate 2 (standard)? And the playmate 2 even with standard opamp was good enough that you didn't bother to try the V6 vivid on it yet is that correct?

If that's the case that's very good to hear! Because this way I could probably start with standard and upgrade at a later point if I feel it's lacking.

On a side note, my friend is trying to push me to just get Conductor 3 instead. Anyone has any impression on Playmate 2 vs Conductor 3?

For me it's partially I would prefer to not spend that much also I like Playmate 2's smaller size more LOL. But I wonder how much sound difference there is.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #148 of 280
One slight amendment to your post. I had the original 'PLAY' with the Vivids and it was a step up from the standard op amps. The basic Conductor 3 sells for about $1600 here in Australia and it will probably be superior to the PM2 as the amp has a higher output but by how much I don't know. Many of the components are the same including the DAC chip so maybe not that much. The C3 comes with V6 Vivids installed. I am very happy with the PM2 and yet I wonder what I'll discover when I install the V6 Vivids. I'm not very technical and am a bit concerned that I'll make a mistake. I'm worried about leaving one of the legs in socket when I remove the originals.

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #149 of 280
One slight amendment to your post. I had the original 'PLAY' with the Vivids and it was a step up from the standard op amps. The basic Conductor 3 sells for about $1600 here in Australia and it will probably be superior to the PM2 as the amp has a higher output but by how much I don't know. Many of the components are the same including the DAC chip so maybe not that much. The C3 comes with V6 Vivids installed. I am very happy with the PM2 and yet I wonder what I'll discover when I install the V6 Vivids. I'm not very technical and am a bit concerned that I'll make a mistake. I'm worried about leaving one of the legs in socket when I remove the originals.
lol yeah I was looking at Conductor 3 but I don't really need more power (using Denon D9200 which is like 24-25 Ohm), so unless there's other difference that really matters then I prefer the lower price and smaller form factor of Playmate 2. I'm trying to not have too much clutter on my desk LOL. But as you said at least Conductor 3 default already come with V6 Vivid.

From what I read that V6 opamp come with reverse polarity protection, so even if you install it wrong it wouldn't be too bad (I THINK).

But if you look at the pictures posted in this thread someone made an explanation on how to install it properly, look for the picture. As for broken pins, I think if you just lightly tilt it left and right then back and forth a few times it will slowly come off. Don't pull straight up by brute force. Wedge it left and right lightly then it will just come off.

I think it's something like:

Slot 1 - Slot 2 - Slot 3 - Slot 4
L - L - R - R
DUAL - SINGLE - SINGLE - DUAL
Notch face towards middle
> - > - < - <

Again look for pictures.

Similar to tube rolling, where you do the "rolling" motion to get the pins off gently.

I think since you already have all the components at hand you should really give it a try and let us know your impressions LOL.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #150 of 280
I have Playmate (1) with Vivid & Classic opamps mix. Really enjoy it...

My question is, did someone here do the upgrade from Playmate to Playmate 2 ? If so... worth it, and on which aspects?

Thank you so much :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back