Burson Dual OPAmp vs OPA2134PA review
Jul 20, 2009 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sunneebear

Headphoneus Supremus
I am putting this in the Amp section because this is a upgrade for my amp.

Since there seems to be no reviews of Burson opamps, here goes.

The Burson Dual OP Amp is a discrete design, made with transistors and resistors mounted on a small circuit board. It is not an IC. It looks very similar to the Audio-GD and SPL Phonitor/Auditor opamp. I have read somewhere that Audio-GD even made the first generation Burson opamps. Burson even has a headphone amp, the HA-100. Its discrete opamp is built into the main board like some of Audio-GDs

After over an hour of swapping OP Amps I came to a short conclusion. The Burson is better.

HOURS
Burson = 100+ continuous burn run.
Bur Brown OPA2134PA = 100+ accumulated.

AMP
Relatively new Rudistor NX-03

SOURCE
iTunes/Apple Lossless-->DAC 707-USB-->Rudistor NX-03

HEADPHONES/IEMS
SA5000 HD600 A1000X CD3000 HFI-780 / IE8 EX700
All headphones have swappable DIY cables. Same cable was used for all headphones for this test. The Mogami W2534 Quad for each channel into a ¼” Neutrik plug. Only the HD600 is moded for sound. The HFI-780 has been dedioded. Others only have the cable mod.

SOUND
First off, I really like the sound and presentation of the OPA2134 that came with the Rudi. The Burson is just a little better in my opinion. The most obvious difference it the wider soundstage. Only in Electronica was the soundstage not much wider and imaging not much improved.

Soundstage: With most music, the 2134 is like 170 degrees while the Burson is closer to 190.

Imaging: The 2134 is very good. Vocals very focused. Instrument placement is very good also. Front row presentation. With the Burson, vocals in more songs are less focused because you can hear the FX processing more clearly. Decay, reverb, expander. Instrument placement is just as good as the 2134 but more detail can be heard. Band member presentation, sounds like you are on stage.

Detail: Both are great. The Burson is a bit better in bringing out the detail of background instruments.

Again, the OPA2134 is IMO a very good opamp but the Burson is just better. High and low extension is not only better but more controlled. Treble is extended without being sibilant or piercing. Bass is more textured but like the vocals, you hear the FX processing which sometimes slightly dilutes the attack and slam of the drums in some songs. Finally, the Burson is a little smoother sounding. The claim of detail with the Burson opamps I must agree with. The 2134 is good and I assume that is also due to matching well with the Rudi. The Burson just makes listening a bit more enjoyable. If I had to let the Burson go for some reason, I would not hesitate because I like the 2134 in the Rudi. As for now, $125 for a pair of opamps is a little much but it is a bargain, compared to what people will spend on other accessories and not get much sound improvement.

Some may not agree with me but I like the presentation of the Burson. The only love/hate in this review is with the A1000X. For a close headphone it has a pretty wide open sound. Paired with the Burson, it can sound great with most music and too holographic in a some.

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 5
Thanks for the review. But for discrete opamp, I recalled a thread in head-fi someone mentioned that Audio-GD should be the first company release the discrete opamp (someone please correct me if I'm wrong of this statement). You can take a look HERE, they have 3 different models with significant SQ and the most expensive one called The Sun V.2 cost only US$45 per pair and you can find a detail review HERE of these opamp by majkel. Cheers.

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review, I like how you didn't blow the performance of the "discrete" opamps out of proportion.

Haha, in fact, it makes you wonder if a "better" opamp will yield just as much (or more) improvements over Burson. I don't like OPA2134 much, so something like AD8620 would have been another good comparison to Burson. In fact, dual OPA627 on Browndogs would have been something to consider as well.

Then there's the question that lingers: is Audio-GD OEM for Burson "discrete" op-amps?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact, dual OPA627 on Browndogs would have been something to consider as well.

I do want to try the 627 but four of those and the two Browndogs is going to run over $110. The two Bursons cost just a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back