Burson Conductor Virtuoso Thread.
Jun 30, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #286 of 347
Thanks guys.  How is the heat compared to the Oppo HA-1?  I am trying to decide between these two integrated DAC+Amps.  I can get a used 1793 Virtuoso for a bit less than a used Oppo HA-1 right now.  

[COLOR=222222]1793 Conductor Virtuoso[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]+ cheaper[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]+ single ended means I won't need to buy balanced cables for my headphones[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]+ more musical perhaps?  [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]+ cheaper (in this case)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- not nearly as versatile[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Oppo HA-1[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]+ that sexy LCD[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]+ more versatility in inputs and connections[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]+ more power via balanced[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- less power via single ended, so I'd need to buy balanced cables[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]- gets hotter?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Granted I have no need for the DSD in Oppo HA-1's DAC, as I never listen to those types of music files.  I also don't know if I'd use many of the connections on the HA-1 as I don't want to invest in balanced cables (and for some headphones I'm considering, like the T1, it would be a pain to get them fit for balanced use since the cables aren't detachable).  I'm looking for a headphone with good comfort, clarity, imaging, some warmth on the low end and hopefully better soundstage than my 400i's... right now I am considering the Alpha Dogs, PM-2, 560 and Beyer T1.  I know none of these headphones check everything on the list.  I'm thinking most of these would pair well with either the Virtuoso or the HA-1 with the possible exception of the T1.[/COLOR]

Has anyone had any experience with both of these units?  What would you recommend?
If it's not too late there was a meet here in sydney. General feedback from those there was the he560 sounded GREAT with my soloist and the audio gd dac1 (sabre dac). So if you're thinking he560s then the conductor with the sabre dac looks good.

I would think that would be strong for the oppos and alpha dogs - ie HPs with a warm/dark nature.

(Unfortunately the soloist and sabre dac wasn't quite right for my hd800s - the v200 was)

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #287 of 347
  warm to the touch but not overly hot or anything/

Received my LCD-3f yesterday and put them on Conductor Virtuoso, after 24hours continous playing my Virtuoso is only warm... no heating problem with mine :)

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #288 of 347
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a Burson Conductor or a Soloist for my LCD-2F. What is the best option from the following: (sound and money wise)

Burson Soloist - $650 + $400 to $600 for a dac
Burson Conductor PCM1793 - $1000
Burson Conductor Virtuoso PCM1793 - $1300

Thank you, appreciate any advice.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #289 of 347
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a Burson Conductor or a Soloist for my LCD-2F. What is the best option from the following: (sound and money wise)

For your dac price range I think virtuoso is the better choice. Since lcd2 shouldn't have imepedance/sensitivity related hiss, you do not need to go back to older conductor model.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #290 of 347

I haven't heard any version of the conductor.

I do have the soloist and the arcam irdac. The irdac is a couple/few years old. There are some really strong reviews on the irdac and I really like this combo for my hd800s. This combo is often mentioned as a good combo for audeze HPs but I can't remember if it's the lcd 2 or 3 or both.

This is certainly worth considering at your price point if you don't go the way if the conductor.

Some reviews on the irdac are detailed and some aren't. Here is a snippet from a review I read a while ago that I emailed to a friend of mine. I can't remember which site it came from but I thought it was the best description that I agreed with also.

"As to provide a tonal descriptive, and in continuation of the ‘natural’
statement above, the irDAC is very pleasing to listen to and can comfortably
accommodate extended periods of listening without fatigue. The presentation
of the bass is comfortable with an apparent sub-bass roll off and luscious
mildly warming feel that extends through and up into the low midrange. As we
enter into the midrange, the irDAC has an exciting wonderfully delicate
multilayered approach that never lets down even the most complex
instrumentation. In particular both male and female vocals carry precious
weight and retain their body and life even during complex vocal acrobatics
that would normally expose weaknesses in the overall sonic presentation. As
we enter into the treble the irDAC exhibits a luxurious feel without any
nasty grittiness. The ultra high frequencies appear to, again, be slightly
rolled off, which allows the top end to maintain a soothing composure with
rich contrasts and delicate timing. Don’t believe for a second that these
characteristics blunt the top midrange, because everything feels remarkably
airy and well kept."

I would have simply said it is a punchy dac with a touch of warmth and good detail and balance.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #291 of 347
Thank you for a great response. I was browsing around and that seems like soloist and irdac is a popular setup. A lot people prefer the soloist + a dac over the conductor for some reason. I'd like to know the differences between the conductor and the virtuoso though. If someone listened to both, is the $300 premium over the conductor worth it for the virtuoso? I would ideally prefer to go for an all in one unit, if not the Burson soloist + arcam idac doesn't seem like bad option. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #292 of 347
There should be info early in this thread from Burson audio explaining some differences between new and previous conductor.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #293 of 347
I figured to just go for the virtuoso. For the upgraded usb module, 100 step attenuator and a bad ass remote, not sure about the sound differences but hopefully that somewhat justifies the $300 premium over the original conductor.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #294 of 347
  I figured to just go for the virtuoso. For the upgraded usb module, 100 step attenuator and a bad ass remote, not sure about the sound differences but hopefully that somewhat justifies the $300 premium over the original conductor.

I find the remote more convenient in changing the volume. The volume knob seems to be speed dependent in changing the volume quickly. 

Cosmetically speaking I'm pleased with the Virtuoso. I'm definitely going to have to buy a different external dac to make my headphone rig more engaging....no hurry though. 

What you must determine is if this amp/dac will meet your needs in happy listening.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #295 of 347
Wouldn't you have been better off getting a soloist + a DAC since the conductor is essentially a soloist + one of those 1793 or 9018 dacs? I head good things about both those dacs, though do you feel like they don't do the amp justice? I'm not too concerned about the sound, this is a huge upgrade for me so I'm confident Burson will meet my needs, that is until upgradeitis hits again of course :)

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #296 of 347

From what I've read the virtuoso is well worth it as long as you are not planning to use it with sensitive IEMs and active speakers (as preamp) where the higher noise floor could be a problem

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #298 of 347
I recently ordered a pair of JH audio 5s and I have a pair of audio engine a5+ powered speakers, how bad is noise floor? I was really hoping to use the pre-amp..

Since I don't have the virtuoso I can't say definitely how severe it is, judging at early comments it seemed at least the JH5 will be a problem, maybe you should try on local audio shops before purchasing. It's very frustrating to receive a new unit with excellent sound quality and found that with your system it continually produce hiss on quite passages.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #299 of 347
  I recently ordered a pair of JH audio 5s and I have a pair of audio engine a5+ powered speakers, how bad is noise floor? I was really hoping to use the pre-amp..

If you use a BA drivers IEM with virtuoso, you need to add a 150 Ohm impedance cable to eliminate the hiss. I have tried it with noble k10u.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #300 of 347
  Wouldn't you have been better off getting a soloist + a DAC since the conductor is essentially a soloist + one of those 1793 or 9018 dacs? I head good things about both those dacs, though do you feel like they don't do the amp justice? I'm not too concerned about the sound, this is a huge upgrade for me so I'm confident Burson will meet my needs, that is until upgradeitis hits again of course :)

The 1793 dac is quite refined and easier to listen too compared to the sabre chip 9018 IMO. I would say it's a nice amp/dac combo and enjoyable. I'm not as extreme in  chasing audio nirvana in the headphone world compared to 2 channel.

Even the owner of a headphone shop (local Brick and Mortar) told me that there is subtle differences when it comes to amplification. I believe his comments since I can enjoy my cheap objective 02 amp equally as much when using my dac that I use for my 2 channel system. 

You get into trouble when you start to do A/B comparisons between gear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back