Burson Conductor 3 Performance & Conductor 3X Performance
Nov 27, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #197 of 232
I need to be more calm and do more reading before I speak and ask about it.
Edit: I want to know if anyone has compared the Burson's dac to the new SMSL SU-10 or even the D1se? I want to know if the SMSL is the revolution improvement that the reviewer says.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #198 of 232
Hi everybody, can anyone advise with the following issue: I use my Conductor 3XR with Roon in Asio mode on a Windows PC, and every time I want to watch YouTube, it won't play because the audio device is locked. I have to quickly turn the amp off and on again in order to unlock it. Is there a way to work around this limitation? Some tool, maybe, that can switch audio devices without the need to turn the amp off? Thanks!

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #199 of 232
Hi guys,
I want to share my recent experience with Burson Audio, from an EMEA customer perspective.
I have been using Burson headphone amps since a few years, my first purchase was a HA160, then a Soloist and more recently a Soloist 3XP, this last ounit was purchased from a Head FI user.

I have always been a fan of the brand and I like the sound signature.

Recently I accidentally damaged the remote control, I was replacing the battery and while pulling the exhausted one I broke the battery housing, which is very delicate btw so be careful with that....
I had to purchase a new remote unit, which is not available in Europe. So I had to buy from Burson directly, shipped from AU.
Long story short... 75 USD replacement unit + 45 USD in custom fees. Total of 120 USD for a small metal remote control.
Ok, this was my fault at the end of the day, so I cannot complain too much. However, the lack of an EMEA distributor for spare parts is something one should consider before buying.

Now the best part.
A month ago the SE output stopped working correctly. The sound from the Left channel is intermittent and you have to move the headphone plug to find a good connection spot in order to make it work. Even when you do, it will stop working again, and you'll move the plug again.
As I reminder, I am the 2nd owner of this unit. The amp was originally purchased in Feb 2021, in EMEA, so it is supposed to be covered by a warranty.

I sent a note to Burson, asking if there was a service center in EMEA to repair my unit.
I got their answer saying that there is none, the unit should be sent to AU, and the warranty does not apply to 2nd owner. This means I would have to pay shipping costs (approx €250 with DHL) to AU plus repair. Not to mention the risk of custom fees again.

In the light of the above, I will find a lab here in Italy to fix the output, but I'll think twice next time I want to buy a Burson product. I am in love with their sound, not so much in love with their customer service and policies.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #201 of 232
To me it is a complete bummer, the lack of a repair service in Europe is a big gap which makes me question if I'll ever buy another device from that brand despite the great sound.

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #202 of 232
Hi everybody, can anyone advise with the following issue: I use my Conductor 3XR with Roon in Asio mode on a Windows PC, and every time I want to watch YouTube, it won't play because the audio device is locked. I have to quickly turn the amp off and on again in order to unlock it. Is there a way to work around this limitation? Some tool, maybe, that can switch audio devices without the need to turn the amp off? Thanks!
Hi!
I believe I had the same problem as you with 3xp. I've just uninstalled the burson driver. It fixed the problem. Worth a shot.

Now I AB the burson conductor 3xp with IFI IDSD pro (non Signature) and there are more similarities than differences. And to be honest, it's not worth the upgrade, because it's not an upgrade, it's a side-grade. IDSD is just a little more airy. If you are interested in a mini-comparison between those 2 units let me know.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #203 of 232
Hi!
I believe I had the same problem as you with 3xp. I've just uninstalled the burson driver. It fixed the problem. Worth a shot.

Now I AB the burson conductor 3xp with IFI IDSD pro (non Signature) and there are more similarities than differences. And to be honest, it's not worth the upgrade, because it's not an upgrade, it's a side-grade. IDSD is just a little more airy. If you are interested in a mini-comparison between those 2 units let me know.
Hi SLimy, thank you for your advise, I will give it a try, I'm really tired of that issue.

It was also interesting to know about how 3XP compares to other units in its class. Although I stopped searching after I purchased my Burson as I loved it so much. I can't even imagine that something can be better :) Can it, though?

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #204 of 232
If you're satisfied with the Burson, than there isn't any need to compare with other amps.
As I've written I'm not happy with the Conductor (but very happy with the Soloist on another system) and I'm changed to the Cayin iDAC-6 MK2/i-HA-6 combi.
Now I can again hear really music and not only a reproduction, but this is really subjective and will depends on the used headphones.

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #206 of 232
To me it is a complete bummer, the lack of a repair service in Europe is a big gap which makes me question if I'll ever buy another device from that brand despite the great sound.

Quick update :
after sending a complaint to Burson, they got back to me saying that they will honor the warranty and that I will receive a new motherboard for my Solosit. Installing the new MB should be easy according to them. just 4 screws.

Kudos to Burson for taking a step back on their initial position and making a customer happy.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #207 of 232
Hi SLimy, thank you for your advise, I will give it a try, I'm really tired of that issue.

It was also interesting to know about how 3XP compares to other units in its class. Although I stopped searching after I purchased my Burson as I loved it so much. I can't even imagine that something can be better :) Can it, though?
I’d hold a pretty similar viewpoint to Slimys’ post (that you were here (above) replying to)..
VS an iFi Diablo, an ANCIENT Burson DAC sounds ‘equal’ (/better), and not ‘worse’.

Burson tune for music first even if the spec sheet suffers- this is a champion aspect of their brand - and a big reason that even a decade old Burson part is ‘relevant’ (and often equal/better a modern part)-
I’d say the Burson parts a ‘a tier UP’ in quality vs mainstream stuff, but the iFi Diablo (arguably the best of ‘mainstream’ at ‘sane prices’), isn’t an upgrade over what Burson gave in their more costly products, mostly due to ‘product tuning’-
The best thing about an iFi DAC would be the GTO filter/and maybe Playstation/Switch console support.
If they aren’t needed or even ‘dealbreakers’, then Burson is a pretty safe purchase, mostly due to being a)built to last, and b)audio quality more important that ‘spec sheet marketing’

If my decade + Burson DAC can hold well/better vs an iFi Diablo- then your ‘modern’ Burson product is UNLIKELY to be ‘bested’ by a consumer mainstream hifi piece.
I like iFi bang to buck and trickle down tech from AMR, but who is tuning circuits for ‘music’?
Burson do and we know this from plenty of interviews and overt design philosophies.

sidegrade? hahaha - keep the Burson :)

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #208 of 232
Update:
I received a new motherboard for my soloist 3 xp. Actually, I received the motherboard including op amps and volume control…much more than I expected.
The MB is v2.2 while my unit had 2.1, so it seems like I got an updated version, yeeeeah!

Replacing the MB is not that difficult so I am now using the new one.
I will need more time to elaborate the sound quality vs 2.1 but something I noticed during my first test is the higher temperature.
The Burson case now gets very hot, more than how it used to be with the old board, especially front and back plates…

Does your unit get this hot?

Attachments

• 8B87F6E6-CF24-4B83-B2FD-B557F8EBB1A5.jpeg
    8B87F6E6-CF24-4B83-B2FD-B557F8EBB1A5.jpeg
    491.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 4, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #209 of 232
Anyone using Roon with their Conductor 3? I am looking for the correct settings to work with Tidal/Roon for best quality.

I have both a Playmate 2 and a Conductor 3 XP on audition for a few days. My headphones are LCD-X 2021. Both sound great by the way 😊

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #210 of 232
Hello,

hopefully someone can help me with my question. I am about to buy the Burson and I can not decide between the models. I would like to know if there are any audible (!) sound differences using headphones between the Conductor 3 Reference and Conductor 3X models, and therefore which model sounds best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back