Burson Audio FUNK, 3Wpc Headphone Amp and 45Wpc Class-AB Speaker Amp
Apr 28, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #16 of 92
No, but if you are wondering about power then this will not be an issue. However, I would suspect that anyone who owned something as expensive as the Susvara's would also use something similarly priced so you may not get a reply. Maybe you could organise a demo?

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #17 of 92
No, but if you are wondering about power then this will not be an issue. However, I would suspect that anyone who owned something as expensive as the Susvara's would also use something similarly priced so you may not get a reply. Maybe you could organise a demo?
Actually Cayin iHA-6 was tuned in China using the Susvara and it’s about similarly priced with the Funk. Many Susvara owners do use sub1k amps as well. The options are few for headphone amps sub1k though, but speaker amps sub1k are quite commonly used. It’s ok, I just saw a few posts in this thread from February stating they will test Susvara with the Funk so I thought to ask if they’d done it already.

May 8, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #18 of 92
Hi,
What is the usage of the "Mic input bypass"? I should connect the microphone output from my sound card to this input? afterward, how should I connect my headphones to the FUNK and use the headphone's internal microphone, using the normal front headphones output?

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #20 of 92
Hi,
What is the usage of the "Mic input bypass"? I should connect the microphone output from my sound card to this input? afterward, how should I connect my headphones to the FUNK and use the headphone's internal microphone, using the normal front headphones output?
Yes, pretty much is intended to be used with those headphones with TRRS so it splits the mic and the headphone signal so you can plug a cable to your motherboards mic input.

I would like to hear more opinions about this amp, I currently have an Audio Engine N22 with a Soundblaster AE-9, I don't like the sound, its to moody so my bet is that the Audio Engine is the one doing the crap audio so I was thinking about this amp but almost nobody has posted reviews yet.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #21 of 92
Yes, pretty much is intended to be used with those headphones with TRRS so it splits the mic and the headphone signal so you can plug a cable to your motherboards mic input.

I would like to hear more opinions about this amp, I currently have an Audio Engine N22 with a Soundblaster AE-9, I don't like the sound, its to moody so my bet is that the Audio Engine is the one doing the crap audio so I was thinking about this amp but almost nobody has posted reviews yet.
I've just had one come in for review - I'm extremely impressed with its performance thus far. The headphone side of things is expectedly awesome, having spent some time with the Playmate 2, with which the Funk shares the same headphone stage. I do tend to prefer the larger, analogue volume pot over the digital volume pot of the Playmate 2, but the fact that it has an analogue input is a godsend.

What's impressed me most about the Funk so far is how well it's powering the somewhat insensitive KEF LS50's. It has a terrific tone (much welcome after listening mainly with a Class-D NCore500 amp), but it doesn't break a sweat or even get beyond mildly warm when cranking the LS50's.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 92
I've just had one come in for review - I'm extremely impressed with its performance thus far. The headphone side of things is expectedly awesome, having spent some time with the Playmate 2, with which the Funk shares the same headphone stage. I do tend to prefer the larger, analogue volume pot over the digital volume pot of the Playmate 2, but the fact that it has an analogue input is a godsend.

What's impressed me most about the Funk so far is how well it's powering the somewhat insensitive KEF LS50's. It has a terrific tone (much welcome after listening mainly with a Class-D NCore500 amp), but it doesn't break a sweat or even get beyond mildly warm when cranking the LS50's.

Sounds good, my speakers are a pair of definitive technologies (the small ones) for desktop use the Audio Engine N22 has enough power for those speakers but the sounds is what I don't like, on my 5.1 setup I have bigger definitive technologies powered by a Marantz NR1504, they sound awesome there, but I need an amp for my desktop, the Funk costs as much as my NR1504 so I need more reviews to jump in.

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #23 of 92
Sounds good, my speakers are a pair of definitive technologies (the small ones) for desktop use the Audio Engine N22 has enough power for those speakers but the sounds is what I don't like, on my 5.1 setup I have bigger definitive technologies powered by a Marantz NR1504, they sound awesome there, but I need an amp for my desktop, the Funk costs as much as my NR1504 so I need more reviews to jump in.
I currently own the Funk...have owned the NR22 and NR1504. I did not like the 1504...it had this coloration that made all music sound like it was recorded in the same studio. USB was worse than optical. The NR22 is pretty good for a desk setup at its price, but the bass is weak and sound is a bit 2D. Very inoffensive and a bit rolled off sounding...lacking in bite and energy. The headphone section was just okay, not at the level of liquid spark.

The funk? It's a ****ing unicorn (at its price) with the vivid op amp. Not much to say about it because it does everything right...actually there is a turn off thump but it can be avoided by switching to headphone input and then waiting five to ten seconds for caps to discharge...really not that loud unless you have really sensitive speakers.
They charge like $80 extra for a cool aluminum stand but I would rather pay $80 extra for a remote control.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #24 of 92
I currently own the Funk...have owned the NR22 and NR1504. I did not like the 1504...it had this coloration that made all music sound like it was recorded in the same studio. USB was worse than optical. The NR22 is pretty good for a desk setup at its price, but the bass is weak and sound is a bit 2D. Very inoffensive and a bit rolled off sounding...lacking in bite and energy. The headphone section was just okay, not at the level of liquid spark.

The funk? It's a ****ing unicorn (at its price) with the vivid op amp. Not much to say about it because it does everything right...actually there is a turn off thump but it can be avoided by switching to headphone input and then waiting five to ten seconds for caps to discharge...really not that loud unless you have really sensitive speakers.
They charge like $80 extra for a cool aluminum stand but I would rather pay $80 extra for a remote control.
A remote, a pre-out, and perhaps one more input would make this a diamond f*cking unicorn.

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #26 of 92

Burson Funk Deluxe Review​

1625600266753.png

Main features and specs:​

• Headphone impedance 3.5W @ 16Ω
  • Headphone output impedance < 2Ω
  • Speaker impedance 45W @ 4Ω
  • Opamps: 2x NE5532 (Basic Package) or 2x V6 Vivid (Deluxe Package)

Pricing: $544 (Basic) - $744 (Deluxe)

Package and accessories​

1625600309346.png

Funk Deluxe comes in a white box like what other Burson products are packed in. In addition to Funk, the package includes external 24V power supply, Burson Cool Stand, 2x NE5532 opamps, a hex L-tool, replacement fuse and the headset adapter.

1625600330294.png

Physical features and impressions​

1625600388560.png

Funk has a bit more polished design compared to e.g., my previously reviewed Conductor 3X Performance. Front panel is very minimalistic and very much to my likings. The At the very left is headphone output, TRRS headset output, large volume knob, gain switch, input selector and a power switch. Each control button has its own tiny blue LED light.

1625600405852.png

Funk is basically next generation of Fun and Bang combined into a single unit. It is an interesting approach by Burson because to my knowledge, there are not many A/B headphone amps in this size with features like microphone bypass and such. Personally, Fun was one of my favorite amps at the time. Ever since I have been waiting for its new model with the features like gain switch. After about four years of waiting my wish finally became a reality thanks to Burson.

The rear panel is also very simplistic. At the very left are RCA line inputs, microphone input bypass, speaker outputs and 24V DC input.

1625605359287.png

Internally Funk looks like the typical Burson device. Funk’s red PCB is full of quality components like Japanese ELNA capacitors, Burson V6 Vivid opamps, ALPS 820G volume knob and such. If the Funk’s sound quality, external looks and feel does not justify its price, having a look at the internals it most certainly will. Choosing if not the best components on the market will rise the final price, but then again, the device with such quality will most likely last for years to come.

1625600539206.png

1625600559683.png

Regarding the design in general, Funk is one of the best-looking audio devices I have seen so far. It looks simplistic, the build quality feels like you could not damage it even by driving over it with your car. The volume knob is simply the best I have ever seen and used at any device. The knob is all metal, the size is right and the feel of adjusting it does not leave much to wish for. I really wish this knob becomes a standard for Burson’s devices in the future. Front panel’s LEDs are very small and not too bright, which is great. I am not a huge fan of extra bright LED lights used at some other devices.

1625600609601.png

Sound​

I was a huge fan of Burson Fun. It wasn’t the best-looking devices by any means, but it’s sound really had an impact on me. To very this day I still feel that it is one of the most underrated audio devices I have seen so far.

1625600664669.png

I have tested Funk with headphones only since I do not use speakers at my desk. I do have a few 40W Canton MX.3 speakers at my Atmos setup, but them being an entry level models using them with Funk would not make much sense anyways.

For the DACs I’ve used Burson Conductor 3X Performance (DAC OUT) and Topping D10s.

Bass is probably where Funk shines the most. Bass is very well controlled, and it never gets bloomy or muddy, even with bass heavy headphones like Meze 99 Classics. The soundstage is very large, and Funk can produce some very ‘large’ bass. In some songs it sounds like the mountains were the speakers. This is something I wish many of you could have a chance to test for yourself.

The mids are clean with very good and natural separation between the vocals and instruments. Funk never goes too clinical which is a good thing, especially if you are sensitive to listening fatigue. In songs like ‘One More Light’ by Linkin Park, ‘Zoe Jane’ by Staind, ‘My Home Is In The Delta’ by Muddy Waters, ‘Survivor’ by Pop Evil, Funk produces exceptionally natural intimacy with your ears and singer’s voice. It sounds like you are at the private show.

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros (with Dekoni Elite Velour pads) are known for their exceptional separation. Funk brought some very good synergy with them. Imaging and sound stage were so precise that occasionally it made me think, how is Burson gonna top this. It really left nothing to wish for. And if it did. I really was not able to hear it. :)

1625600682884.png

At the highs Funk had no issues. The sound was very well controlled, and I could not hear any harshness, no matter which song I try to listen.

After using Funk for about a month, each time I had a look at Funk I realized that Funk really needs a DAC with the same looks and stacking capability. How amazing that would be? :)

Conclusion​

1625600634964.png

Funk is another example of Burson’s willingness to explore new areas. There aren’t many devices in this size offering such features and sound performance. That being said, no device is ever perfect. One of the very few cons I could say about Funk (I had to be very strict at this, believe me) is that Funk is not a balanced amp. Burson probably left such feature for other models, but I really do think that it wouldn’t hurt other models’ sales. Also having a DAC with the same design would be nice. It will allow Funk to shine even more.

Regardless of its cons Funk is one of the best amps I have ever tested and seen. It looks stylish, it has plenty of features being ‘just an A/B headphone amp’, it is very well built, and it has plenty of power to drive majority of the headphones, even at the low gain. Regarding the sound, it’s clean, neutral, it has large soundstage, and its bass capability will put a smile on your face. Give it a try and I am sure you will have a difficult time not to like it. 😊

Thanks to everyone at Burson for producing such a great product. Especially in these strange times. Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers!:sunglasses::thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1625600438233.png
    1625600438233.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #27 of 92

Burson Funk Deluxe Review​

Main features and specs:​

• Headphone impedance 3.5W @ 16Ω
  • Headphone output impedance < 2Ω
  • Speaker impedance 45W @ 4Ω
  • Opamps: 2x NE5532 (Basic Package) or 2x V6 Vivid (Deluxe Package)

Pricing: $544 (Basic) - $744 (Deluxe)

Package and accessories​

Funk Deluxe comes in a white box like what other Burson products are packed in. In addition to Funk, the package includes external 24V power supply, Burson Cool Stand, 2x NE5532 opamps, a hex L-tool, replacement fuse and the headset adapter.

Physical features and impressions​

Funk has a bit more polished design compared to e.g., my previously reviewed Conductor 3X Performance. Front panel is very minimalistic and very much to my likings. The At the very left is headphone output, TRRS headset output, large volume knob, gain switch, input selector and a power switch. Each control button has its own tiny blue LED light.

Funk is basically next generation of Fun and Bang combined into a single unit. It is an interesting approach by Burson because to my knowledge, there are not many A/B headphone amps in this size with features like microphone bypass and such. Personally, Fun was one of my favorite amps at the time. Ever since I have been waiting for its new model with the features like gain switch. After about four years of waiting my wish finally became a reality thanks to Burson.

The rear panel is also very simplistic. At the very left are RCA line inputs, microphone input bypass, speaker outputs and 24V DC input.

Internally Funk looks like the typical Burson device. Funk’s red PCB is full of quality components like Japanese ELNA capacitors, Burson V6 Vivid opamps, ALPS 820G volume knob and such. If the Funk’s sound quality, external looks and feel does not justify its price, having a look at the internals it most certainly will. Choosing if not the best components on the market will rise the final price, but then again, the device with such quality will most likely last for years to come.

Regarding the design in general, Funk is one of the best-looking audio devices I have seen so far. It looks simplistic, the build quality feels like you could not damage it even by driving over it with your car. The volume knob is simply the best I have ever seen and used at any device. The knob is all metal, the size is right and the feel of adjusting it does not leave much to wish for. I really wish this knob becomes a standard for Burson’s devices in the future. Front panel’s LEDs are very small and not too bright, which is great. I am not a huge fan of extra bright LED lights used at some other devices.

Sound​

I was a huge fan of Burson Fun. It wasn’t the best-looking devices by any means, but it’s sound really had an impact on me. To very this day I still feel that it is one of the most underrated audio devices I have seen so far.

I have tested Funk with headphones only since I do not use speakers at my desk. I do have a few 40W Canton MX.3 speakers at my Atmos setup, but them being an entry level models using them with Funk would not make much sense anyways.

For the DACs I’ve used Burson Conductor 3X Performance (DAC OUT) and Topping D10s.

Bass is probably where Funk shines the most. Bass is very well controlled, and it never gets bloomy or muddy, even with bass heavy headphones like Meze 99 Classics. The soundstage is very large, and Funk can produce some very ‘large’ bass. In some songs it sounds like the mountains were the speakers. This is something I wish many of you could have a chance to test for yourself.

The mids are clean with very good and natural separation between the vocals and instruments. Funk never goes too clinical which is a good thing, especially if you are sensitive to listening fatigue. In songs like ‘One More Light’ by Linkin Park, ‘Zoe Jane’ by Staind, ‘My Home Is In The Delta’ by Muddy Waters, ‘Survivor’ by Pop Evil, Funk produces exceptionally natural intimacy with your ears and singer’s voice. It sounds like you are at the private show.

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros (with Dekoni Elite Velour pads) are known for their exceptional separation. Funk brought some very good synergy with them. Imaging and sound stage were so precise that occasionally it made me think, how is Burson gonna top this. It really left nothing to wish for. And if it did. I really was not able to hear it. :)

At the highs Funk had no issues. The sound was very well controlled, and I could not hear any harshness, no matter which song I try to listen.

After using Funk for about a month, each time I had a look at Funk I realized that Funk really needs a DAC with the same looks and stacking capability. How amazing that would be? :)

Conclusion​

Funk is another example of Burson’s willingness to explore new areas. There aren’t many devices in this size offering such features and sound performance. That being said, no device is ever perfect. One of the very few cons I could say about Funk (I had to be very strict at this, believe me) is that Funk is not a balanced amp. Burson probably left such feature for other models, but I really do think that it wouldn’t hurt other models’ sales. Also having a DAC with the same design would be nice. It will allow Funk to shine even more.

Regardless of its cons Funk is one of the best amps I have ever tested and seen. It looks stylish, it has plenty of features being ‘just an A/B headphone amp’, it is very well built, and it has plenty of power to drive majority of the headphones, even at the low gain. Regarding the sound, it’s clean, neutral, it has large soundstage, and its bass capability will put a smile on your face. Give it a try and I am sure you will have a difficult time not to like it. 😊

Thanks to everyone at Burson for producing such a great product. Especially in these strange times. Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers!:sunglasses::thumbsup:
Great review! No speakers at your desk??? blasphemy!! You would think I was at at a headphone forum...wait a minute

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #28 of 92
Yes, I would also have liked to heard about how they went using speakers. For me this would be their best use as I already have the Playmate 2. While I realise that the Conductor 3 outperforms the PM2, it's still a very good DAC/amp - especially at the price. I have a pair of old three way Peerless M1000 MkII that still sound very good being driven by an equally old McLaren A150B. While loudspeaker technology has not really changed that much since the Peerless came out, the same can't be said for amplifiers. The real test for the Funk would be to see what size of speakers they could possibly drive. I suspect that my reasonably efficient three ways (8 ohms impedance) would not be a problem.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #29 of 92
Yes, I would also have liked to heard about how they went using speakers. For me this would be their best use as I already have the Playmate 2. While I realise that the Conductor 3 outperforms the PM2, it's still a very good DAC/amp - especially at the price. I have a pair of old three way Peerless M1000 MkII that still sound very good being driven by an equally old McLaren A150B. While loudspeaker technology has not really changed that much since the Peerless came out, the same can't be said for amplifiers. The real test for the Funk would be to see what size of speakers they could possibly drive. I suspect that my reasonably efficient three ways (8 ohms impedance) would not be a problem.
Ironically it's usually the little inefficient bookshelf speakers that are hardest to drive. Such as 4 ohm average impedance with 83dB efficiency to get the most bass possible out of a little box. Large box speakers with multi drivers are usually much more efficient and easier to drive. It's a good sign that these are driving LS50 well, as those are not an easy load or very efficient. A real torture test would be a planar such as Magnepan that require a ton of current. My guess is that it would go into protection trying to drive maggies hard.

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #30 of 92
Great review! No speakers at your desk??? blasphemy!! You would think I was at at a headphone forum...wait a minute
Haha! :smile: Thank you! I have dreamed about quality speakers for my PC for ages. The thing is that I barely could use them at any point since I don't live alone, and our house is not big enough not to disturb my family. Let's see will that change sometimes in the future. You have to leave something for the days after you retire. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back