Burson Audio FUNK, 3Wpc Headphone Amp and 45Wpc Class-AB Speaker Amp
Feb 10, 2021 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

DarKu

Reviewer at Soundnews
Burson Audio will be unveiling shortly their newest 3-Watts per channel, fully discrete headphone amplifier that doubles as a 45-Watt per channel Class-AB integrated amplifier! How cool is that?
It'll cost $599

Some Funky facts first:
  • As you are aware by now, their proprietary Max Current Power Supply is what gives their products that power and dynamic without the noise associated with traditional switching power supplies. Unfortunately, MCPS was limited to outputting about 10W. As such, while its great for headphone amps, they were unable to use this technology making speaker amps. Until now.
  • The FUNK is one of the very few amplifiers that are designed specifically for near-field listening. (desktop speaker listening, gaming or small room listening). It has a very quiet noise floor and very fine volume control.
  • The Funk outputs 45 Wpc, but since it is powered by their latest breakthrough in MCPS, the Funk punches above its weight.
  • Most people may assume when seeing the size of the Funk, that it's a Class-D amplifier. No. It's actually a classic high-end Class-AB speaker amp. It runs hot and needs the entire case to regulate heat.
  • Its headphone amp stage is a fully discrete Class-A, outputting over 3 Watts per channel
  • The sound of the headphone output and speaker output can be independently altered by changing op-amps. ie By changing its op-amps, you can tune its headphone output to match your headphones, while independently tune its speaker amp to match your speakers.
  • With its mic bypass, The Funk works with any gaming headsets and it is the perfect add-on for any high-end sound cards.
So we are getting a hot-blooded Class-A Headamp + a traditional Class-AB stereo amp in a very sexy looking case that wouldn't rob too much space from your desk.

Its dedicated page is up and running, take a look:
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/funk/
Burson-Funk-In-12.jpg

BursonFunk2.jpg
Burson-Funk-Ext4.jpg
Burson-Funk-Ext14.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 92
how it connects to pc?no outputs for that?
so have to get dac seperatly?

It’s purely an amp, so yes you will have to have the DAC separately.

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 92
Burson Audio will be unveiling shortly their newest 3-Watts per channel, fully discrete headphone amplifier that doubles as a 45-Watt per channel Class-AB integrated amplifier! How cool is that?
It'll cost $599

Some Funky facts first:
  • As you are aware by now, their proprietary Max Current Power Supply is what gives their products that power and dynamic without the noise associated with traditional switching power supplies. Unfortunately, MCPS was limited to outputting about 10W. As such, while its great for headphone amps, they were unable to use this technology making speaker amps. Until now.
  • The FUNK is one of the very few amplifiers that are designed specifically for near-field listening. (desktop speaker listening, gaming or small room listening). It has a very quiet noise floor and very fine volume control.
  • The Funk outputs 45 Wpc, but since it is powered by their latest breakthrough in MCPS, the Funk punches above its weight.
  • Most people may assume when seeing the size of the Funk, that it's a Class-D amplifier. No. It's actually a classic high-end Class-AB speaker amp. It runs hot and needs the entire case to regulate heat.
  • Its headphone amp stage is a fully discrete Class-A, outputting over 3 Watts per channel
  • The sound of the headphone output and speaker output can be independently altered by changing op-amps. ie By changing its op-amps, you can tune its headphone output to match your headphones, while independently tune its speaker amp to match your speakers.
  • With its mic bypass, The Funk works with any gaming headsets and it is the perfect add-on for any high-end sound cards.
So we are getting a hot-blooded Class-A Headamp + a traditional Class-AB stereo amp in a very sexy looking case that wouldn't rob too much space from your desk.

Its dedicated page is up and running, take a look:
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/funk/
Burson-Funk-In-12.jpg

BursonFunk2.jpgBurson-Funk-Ext4.jpgBurson-Funk-Ext14.jpg

A very interesting product indeed! Could be used as an alternative to power hard to drive headphones through its speaker taps :relaxed: thanks a lot for this info

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 92
Exactly! I'll try it with Susvara after getting it and will report back, should be funky

That’s what I was thinking as well! I have a Susvara coming and looking for a suitable high powered amp :relaxed: look forward to your impressions with Susvara!

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 92
This appears to be an upgrade of the Bang and the Fun combined and if reviews of the Bang are anything to go by then this might be the simple integrated amp I've been seeking for a few years now. I have a venerable old McLaren A150B integrated amp (70w PC) but the cutting edge technology it contained when new has long been superseded. From what I've read, the Bang should easily be able to drive my 8 Ohm Peerless 1000 MkII floor standers as I barely get the McLaren volume control above 10 o'clock. The Funk is exactly what I'm looking for as it has a separate pre amp saving me having to control it from my CD player. The plus of the Funk is its improved heat dissapation. I know it's better because I have the Playmate 2 and it runs so much cooler than the Play.

I'll await reviews with interest

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 92
I like the design. It looks like Burson listened to the grief I gave them about the old volume knob on my Playmate review. It was even worse on the Fun because of the physical resistance of the volume pot compared to the narrow and slick knob. Now I'm jealous that this knob isn't on my Soloist 3X. Interesting move to basically combine the Fun and Bang, though. I wonder if they'll release a dedicated power amp that matches the form factor of the Soloist/Composer stack?

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 92
I love the 'Bang' - it does a great job of powering my LS50's in a nearfield combo, so adding a volume knob and a dedicated headphone out makes it a no-brainer for nearfield set-ups! This represents a great alternative to the Emotiva BasX A-100, which is great for hard-to-drive planars but the high output-Z doesn't make it a great match with everything else.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 92
Has anyone tried these with Susvaras yet?

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 92
Has anyone tried these with Susvaras yet?
No, but on the plus side, if you're finding the headphone output lacking you can always hook it up to the speaker taps.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #15 of 92
No, but on the plus side, if you're finding the headphone output lacking you can always hook it up to the speaker taps.
Oh sorry that was actually my question — if anyone has already tried Susvara with Buron Funk’s speaker taps as mentioned by others in previous messages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back