Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Apr 26, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #601 of 719
Short version - Classic is a bit more detailed while Vivid has more energy and is a bit more dynamic.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #603 of 719
MassDrop listened to you, Shane!

There were a lot of folks asking. Good sign for Burson sales. Looking forward to seeing what all you guys are gushing about.:gs1000smile:

Shane D

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #604 of 719
There were a lot of folks asking. Good sign for Burson sales. Looking forward to seeing what all you guys are gushing about.:gs1000smile:

Shane D

Well, I do NOT have the Classics but sure do like the Vivids and Sparko's in the Fun.

New phones (Ether 2) so my experience is way different right now. So neutral that they will take some getting used to.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #605 of 719
Well, I do NOT have the Classics but sure do like the Vivids and Sparko's in the Fun.

New phones (Ether 2) so my experience is way different right now. So neutral that they will take some getting used to.

Would you compare them to Audeze? I heard a pair of (I think) LCD2 and I was really disappointed. To me it was flat and neutral. I know that audiophiles love that, but it's not my thing.

Shane D

Apr 27, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #606 of 719
Would you compare them to Audeze? I heard a pair of (I think) LCD2 and I was really disappointed. To me it was flat and neutral. I know that audiophiles love that, but it's not my thing.

Shane D

Sorry, I am new to 'real' phones so have not heard any of the Audeze. I have spent time to built up my 2 ch. system and have been happy with all components for a few years now. I have just dipped my toes into headphone rabbit hole!!!

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #607 of 719
Sorry, I am new to 'real' phones so have not heard any of the Audeze. I have spent time to built up my 2 ch. system and have been happy with all components for a few years now. I have just dipped my toes into headphone rabbit hole!!!

I have been at this headphone thing for over four years now and I still think of myself as a newbie. I spent a couple of years learning what I like in headphones. The last 18 to 24 months have been exploring amps. 2019 is going to be my year for learning about tubes (I got a Loxjie P20), opamps and DAC's. At this rate I think I will be very well versed in all things headphone in about another 10 to 12 years, if I live that long.:smiley:

A big part of my enjoyment in this hobby is listening to the music. However, as a bit of a nerd, I really enjoy all the learning.:nerd:

Shane D

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #608 of 719
Good to hear you snagged the Loxjie hybrid (?) tube amp, Shane. Now you begin the real fun, frustrating and potentially expensive hunt for the best tubes!!!! BTW, I have heard that the red amp sounds better that the black amp :)

I may be thinking of a balanced amp option as well for the E2 although I will need more output than the Loxjie to do these hp justice. Perhaps the Liquid Platinum is in my future as already have a good stock of NOS and used 6DJ8, 6922 and 7308 tubes.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #609 of 719
Did not care for the Loxjie at first. Nowhere near as clear as the Burson. However, on some stuff that I might find shrill or piercing, like Florence and the Machione or Miles Davis/Freddie Hubbard/Charles Mingus, it does smooth it out. I have some Russian tubes on their way from the Ukraine. Due sometime in May.

I have barely touched my Burson in the last few weeks as I concentrate on the Loxjie. I am still waiting for a balanced source cable (4.4mm to dual XLR) that is coming from Hong Kong. Also due sometime in May. I want to concentrate on all the variables with the Loxjie in May before I make any decisions.

The Burson opamps are not shipping until May 21st, so I think that the June project will be my Burson.

As an aside...I bought and received a cheap DB meter as I wanted to check out what kind of damage I am doing to my ears. 99% of my music is not exceeding 75Db's at the maximum. I feel pretty good about that.
AND, my two amps were perfectly volume matched. I thought that was pretty cool.

Shane D

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #610 of 719
I received a Modhouse Argon MkIII today and I'm finding the Fun gets them right up to listening volume very easily. With the HD6XX I have the volume at 8:30-8:45, and with the Argons I maybe turned it to 9:00-9:15 max for some songs. (so far)

Edit: corrections

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #611 of 719
I received a Modhouse Argon MkIII today and I'm finding the Fun gets them right up to listening volume very easily. With the HD6XX I have the volume at 5:30-5:45, and with the Argons I maybe turned it to 6:00-6:15 max for some songs. (so far)
That’s almost maxed out on both headphones. I found out my Auteurs are the same impedance as the HD6xx series of headphones, 300 ohms. I have the volume knob at about 1 o’clock for those. 5:30 would be ungodly loud. Is your gain set to high or low?

Apr 29, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #613 of 719
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #615 of 719
I have a pair of Vivids coming!! Will compare to my Classics and Sparkos...

Alex
The Vivids are great. They are just the behind the SparkoS in detail but a little further behind in speed and bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back