Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Feb 23, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #197 of 719
Were you using a DAP for amp before the FUN? Are you using the Aux input on the front panel of the FUN or RCA inputs on the back for audio in?

I have had several amps and currently own the Fiio A5 and the Topping NX3s portable models.

I am going through the front with a 3.5mm cable.

My DAP has more than enough power for me. High gain, balanced is 200mW per channel. Was just looking for a different sound.

Shane D

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #198 of 719
Very good!

I'm kind of looking for something different sound wise as well. I do like my current setup but at $200US (including V6 opamps) it seems like it's worth the gamble. Hard to say how the FUN will sound as a preamp with the V6 opamps as my tube amp is a hybrid and uses a pair of opamps as well.

Did you go for the Classic or Vivid V6's?

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #199 of 719
Very good!

I'm kind of looking for something different sound wise as well. I do like my current setup but at $200US (including V6 opamps) it seems like it's worth the gamble. Hard to say how the FUN will sound as a preamp with the V6 opamps as my tube amp is a hybrid and uses a pair of opamps as well.

Did you go for the Classic or Vivid V6's?

I went for the Classic, but am dying to hear the Vivid's to see if there is much of a difference. My dealer doesn't carry stand alone op amps. I can buy them from Burson or perhaps somebody else. It would be a HELL of a lot cheaper than me buying a new amp every time I get bored.:k701smile:

I Love my new amp but I can't help but think of that Loxjie P20. It is so cheap...

Shane D

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #200 of 719
The amp may be 'cheap' but tube rolling can get expensive! Heck you could snag the P20 & go off the deep end (with me) and add the tube amp after the FUN as a preamp!
Not sure what are equivalents to the 6N6 stock tube for rolling but I'm sure you could buy some better tubes than the stock pair it ships with.

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #201 of 719
The amp may be 'cheap' but tube rolling can get expensive! Heck you could snag the P20 & go off the deep end (with me) and add the tube amp after the FUN as a preamp!
Not sure what are equivalents to the 6N6 stock tube for rolling but I'm sure you could buy some better tubes than the stock pair it ships with.

From the reading I have done the 5670 are great replacements and reasonably priced.
So my "cheap" amp would require amp purchase, two 5670 tubes, a 4.4mm to dual XLR cable and an XLR to dual 3.5mm cable.

Not really that cheap is it?:ksc75smile:

Shane D

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #202 of 719
The 2C51 / 5670's are supposed to be a fantastic tube. I avoided going down that rabbit hole but a lot of Head-Fiers think they are great (and not too expensive) tubes.

Have you read the FUN review here on Head-Fi from 'Alcophone'? He raves about the Sparkos ss3601 opamps in the FUN.

I think I'm getting off the fence and placing my order with Parts Conexxion!!!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #203 of 719
The 2C51 / 5670's are supposed to be a fantastic tube. I avoided going down that rabbit hole but a lot of Head-Fiers think they are great (and not too expensive) tubes.

Have you read the FUN review here on Head-Fi from 'Alcophone'? He raves about the Sparkos ss3601 opamps in the FUN.

I think I'm getting off the fence and placing my order with Parts Conexxion!!!

I wish there was a source that sold Burson AND Sparko op amps.

Shane D

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #204 of 719
I had problems getting my FUN going again today. I kept unplugging and replugging. After a couple of minutes I got sound. Previous to that it was just lots of double clicking and occasional static. I guess it is a connector problem?

Sounds awesome once it starts working.:L3000:

Shane D

I got this on my PLAY V1.6, it was from the power plug. It's really easy to investigate: while powered ON, check if the power plug is plugged into the FUN perfectly (till the bottom of the plug), then try moving it a little bit left-right. If this will cause any power-related issues, then the plug it's too loose. If so, then try finding a good position for a better contact, maybe get the power cable from under the FUN to be more steady. Of course, if this is a re-ocsuring and annoying issue, you might want to contact Burson.

Feb 24, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #206 of 719
Ordered with V6 Vivid opamps!
Cool, let us know your thoughts about them. I’m interested in selling if they will bring up the detail level even more to match that of the Gilmore Lite MKII

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #207 of 719
I got this on my PLAY V1.6, it was from the power plug. It's really easy to investigate: while powered ON, check if the power plug is plugged into the FUN perfectly (till the bottom of the plug), then try moving it a little bit left-right. If this will cause any power-related issues, then the plug it's too loose. If so, then try finding a good position for a better contact, maybe get the power cable from under the FUN to be more steady. Of course, if this is a re-ocsuring and annoying issue, you might want to contact Burson.

I have jiggled all the plugs and the only one that seems to have any effect is the headphone jack.
It was bad on Friday and better on Saturday. Today, I can't get it to work at all. I got 20 seconds of sound and then it cut out. Very frustrating. I LOVE the amp, when it's working.
I am going to ask the dealer for an RMA and hope he offers a replacement.

Too bad as I was really enjoying it. I had my headphones on for almost seven hours yesterday. It is a perfect match for my Grado's. I was hoping to try out the T5p.2's today.:cry:

Shane D

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #208 of 719
Ordered with V6 Vivid opamps!

What made you choose the Vivid's? Based on a lot of reviews and Burson's advice I got the Classic's. My dealer had actually recommended the Vivid's. I figured I would just buy them later separately.

Hope your amp works perfect out of the box! They really are amazing. My Grado's had never sounded clearer or sharper.

Shane D

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #209 of 719
I have jiggled all the plugs and the only one that seems to have any effect is the headphone jack.
It was bad on Friday and better on Saturday. Today, I can't get it to work at all. I got 20 seconds of sound and then it cut out. Very frustrating. I LOVE the amp, when it's working.
I am going to ask the dealer for an RMA and hope he offers a replacement.

Too bad as I was really enjoying it. I had my headphones on for almost seven hours yesterday. It is a perfect match for my Grado's. I was hoping to try out the T5p.2's today.:cry:

Shane D

Sorry to hear that your FUN is misbehaving. It sounds like you have isolated the issue to the 1/4" headphone out jack. Hopefully they will send a new unit ASAP!

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #210 of 719
What made you choose the Vivid's? Based on a lot of reviews and Burson's advice I got the Classic's. My dealer had actually recommended the Vivid's. I figured I would just buy them later separately.

Hope your amp works perfect out of the box! They really are amazing. My Grado's had never sounded clearer or sharper.

Shane D

I only have 1 headphone (hopefully I want be banned from HeadFi for only having 1 pair!) and while I really enjoy it, I am looking for a bit more detail. I see you had owned a pair of NightOwls, so you know what I mean. I have NightHawks and a little more energy wouldn't hurt. If I had your Grados, I would likely opt for the classics. I also have 5 or 6 opamps to swap in / out of the FUN so I thought I'd get the Vivid version of the Burson's that might be significantly different from the opamps I have here.

I ordered last night from Parts Conexxion and the FUN w/ Vivid was listed as 'in stock'. Today I noticed that the FUN w/ Vivid were listed as 'add to wishlist' so hopefully my FUN will indeed ship this week!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back