Burning in your new phones: fact or fantasy?
Nov 6, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #16 of 89
I think the overwhelming majority of people (including myself) believe that break-in of materials used in the construction of drivers has easily perceptible benefits. YMMV.

--Chris

Nov 6, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #17 of 89
There's an old joke about the man who asked to stay on the seventh floor for good luck. His colleague said, "I didn't know you are superstitious." The first man replied, "I'm not, but I've heard it works even if you aren't superstitious."

On the other hand, in my observations, the more you believe in burn-in, the more benefit you'll derive. And everyone agrees that getting used to the sound of a pair of headphones is essential.

So, even if the burn-in effect is fictional (as I believe) go ahead and try it if you wish -- it is fairly harmless and if you use them while you burn them in, it will help accustom you with your new 'phones.

Nov 6, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #18 of 89
Alright, my second pair of ER-4P's just arrived at my door...

How do you guys "burn your headphones in?"
In other words, what do you do exactly?

Can someone give me a step by step procedure of what he or she does?
I say this because I would like to create a "burn in" routine for new headphones I receive...

Thanks again,
BANGPOD

Nov 7, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #19 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
So, even if the burn-in effect is fictional (as I believe) go ahead and try it if you wish -- it is fairly harmless and if you use them while you burn them in, it will help accustom you with your new 'phones.

So kind of you to give us primitive, gullible and superstitious burn-in believers permission to go ahead with it...
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Actually, if one hears a difference (whether as a result of getting used to the cans or some physical changes taking place in the drivers) then the burn-in effect isn't fictional at all. Why the subjective/objective thing is so important to some people, I'm not sure... ask a quantum physicist or Buddhist philosopher and you may get some input about the arbitrary nature of attempting to clearly separate/delineate subject and object, observer and observed.

Nov 7, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #20 of 89
When I played my HD600s over time, the sound improved steadily for almost three hundred hours.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 7, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #21 of 89
HeadRoom should experiment and take measurements before break-in and after to see if we can tell anything.

And believe it or not, lots of computer manufacturers "burn in" their systems, although usually to make sure none of the equipment is faulty, but who says its not helping performance?
tongue.gif

I've observed burn-in with cables, opamps, speakers, and headphones. Most of the time it was a definite no-doubt change, since I am usually very skeptical of things like that.

Nov 7, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #23 of 89
Quote:

On the other hand, in my observations, the more you believe in burn-in, the more benefit you'll derive. ... So, even if the burn-in effect is fictional (as I believe) go ahead and try it if you wish -- it is fairly harmless...

I told you about the guy with the esoterism phobia -- he also believed in the non-existence of break-in; he constantly asked for proofs, but when they were presented, he just ignored them and kept going on with his belief.

peacesign.gif

Nov 7, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 89
I was a bit skeptical of burn in, my first pair of (ear)phones were the ER6s. Though I thought I could detect improvement over a long time, that could easily be explained by the psychological aspect.

Then I got my HP890s to have some full sized computer phones. Again, I thought I could detect some improvement... But what amazed me was the incredible difference between the CHA47 and the Meta42 with the HP890s, but barely any noticable difference with the ER6s. That wasn't burnin related.

And THEN, I got the W1000s. If you want proof of burnin, the W1000 is probably the best example. When I first got it, a dubious improvement over the ER6s in detail and clarity and all that... 315 dollars worth? No way. It was WAY too bright (honking), absolutely no bass, sounded stiff with very little midrange, and overall just not enjoyable or musical. I think I posted my initial impressions somewhere... I even let my suitemate give them a listen the day I got them with a few of his CDs. He did not approve, and he isn't even an audiophile.

A couple weeks later he listened to them again, he liked them very much and was even able to name the dramatic differences. I don't think I have to list them, just look for a review of it somewhere.

Nov 7, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #25 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
You don’t hear the computer geeks talk about “burning in” the motherboard or SD-RAM. Well at least I haven’t.

Yes we do!

Nov 7, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #27 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
Yes we do!

There isn't anything to burn in those components, but Optical Drives, Hard Drives, and CPU Heatsinks all have "burn-ins", the Optical/Hard Drives have their lubricants become accustomed to their new environment, not really a big thing, but it's there. CPU Heatsinks have a HUGE burn-in factor, it basically is a heat-molding shoe, except for the CPU, and needs time to adjust.

Nov 7, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #28 of 89
It's a fantasy
[size=xx-small]...of mine that people will stop arguing about this.[/size]

Nov 7, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #29 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
I told you about the guy with the esoterism phobia -- he also believed in the non-existence of break-in; he constantly asked for proofs, but when they were presented, he just ignored them and kept going on with his belief.

Three little letters could resolve this once and for all: DBT.

[size=xx-small]Although, some might claim that DBT would require time for the audiiophile to adjust to the system and become accustomed the sound, in which case the headphone might become "broken in" during the DBT. However, it take so long to notice that a headphone is not "broken" that it actually "breaks in", this suggests that "breaking in" is not all that is cracked up -- I mean broken up -- to be.[/size]

Nov 7, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #30 of 89
Quote:

Three little letters could resolve this once and for all: DBT.

Sometimes I wonder if you just joined head-fi to troll us because you know so many of us have problems with DBT.

So, I ask you: Do you actually have DBT results that *disprove* headphone break-in?

There are plenty of times when I see a new audiophile product or technique and immediately say, "Snake oil!" Headphone break-in is *definitely* not one of them.

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back