Burning In Made Headphones Sound Worse!
Jan 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Captain Magenta

Head-Fier
I recently bought some PX200II's and straight out of the box through the dac and amp of my E7 I thought they sounded very impressive indeed.  A very clear pleasing sound but they could only get better with burn-in right?  Based on this theory I piped a continuous loop of pink noise through them for about 20 hours - not too loud just about the upper limit comfortable listening.  To my ears the bass now sounds muddy and poorly defined.  I'm very surprised at this and rather dissapointed.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Could it be that pink noise is not good for burn in?

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 7
What can't you just stop the stupid burn-in procedure with pink noise, sweeps and what not.

Just listen to music, that's what headphones are made for!

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 7
Jan 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Well I was always a bit sceptical about the whole thing anyway but you read something about this or that and it's meant to be good blah blah blah so you give it a try. Until now I've not really bothered with burn in. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say except this time something seems to have been lost. Or am I just imagining it?  Who knows? 
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Give your ears time to adjust to the sound signature of the new phones. Re-evaulate in a few days. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 7
I had the same thing happen to a set of Ultrasone HFI-780 towards the end of several hundred hours of high-SPL sound reproduction (about 100db per my SPL meter, I burn in aggressively)
I was happy when they blew up a few weeks later (at closer to 120db, oops) 'cause I got to put not-sucky ortho drivers in. 

In your case, I would agree with the others - give them more time. I have heard several stories of headphones sounding a dozen different ways as they burn in and the owner gets used to the sound. 

If they don't sound better in a couple weeks act like you never posted this thread and sell them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back