Burnaby / Vancouver mini-meet impressions
Jan 30, 2005 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TrevorNetwork

TrevorNetwork - Canadian Group Buy Coordinator
Hi guys,

I'm just heading out for dinner, however I'll post up when I get back. It was my pleasure to host the meet, and it was great having you all in my home.

Cheers!

Trevor

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 22
I had a blast! Lots of really nice folks, a great host and hostess, and an opportunity to listen to several headphones that I never would have seen otherwise. Trevor's Dynahi headphone amp is awesome. I brought over my maxed-out PPA and have to say the Dynahi is noticeably better. Brought my DT880's over and several of the cans I listened to are better than the Beyers, too. My gear acquitted itself admirably, especially considering the price differences.
Trevor's Dynahi is beautiful, definitely commercial grade fit, finish and labelling. If I had the space (it's a good size) and budget, I would seriously consider one. The Sennheiser HE60 was a real treat to listen to, as was the AT2002.
See everyone again soon.
orphsmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 22
Totally agree with you, Carbonman. It was an awesome meet where I learned what to get for my dream setup. Benchmark + Trev's Dynahi simply blew me away. The Dynahi really brings out the Benchmark's true potential. I'm not sure how to describe it, but its extreme clarity and tightness gave me this emotional effect….not like it made me cry or anything, but it certain touched my heart. An extra thumbs up for the aesthetics as well.
smily_headphones1.gif
As for headphones, the ones I enjoyed the most were the R10s and HE60s. I just couldn't stop listening to them!
orphsmile.gif
The amazing gear, along with the great hosting, made this a very enjoyable experience. Special thanks to the hostess for the wonderful snacks~ Hope we can all get together again sometime soon.

Jan 30, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 22
gah, I slept in and came when the meet was pretty much over. Did anyone bring AKG 271S? I want to hear that headphone as much as I want to hear the AKG K1000's.

Trevor told me I have to come over to look at his dynahi so I thought it would look cool.. but it's more than that. It honestly looks better than I thought it possibly could. A very elegant and sleek look. And the black plexi-glass was nice and shiny. The only problem with the looks though is that since it looks so good, you always would want to clean off finger prints and dust etc to keep it looking it's best. Whereas if you had something that looked terrible, you wouldn't care even if you got instant noodles on it.

The sound was very amazing. To me this maxed out one sounded significantly better than the first one he made. I was just blown away by the sound. I honestly believe now that the only amp now that can drive hd-650s is the dynahi (well dynahi or code series). I was thinking of selling them but i'll probably keep them now since I find the frequency response pleasant. The dynahi did remove a whole lot of the sennheiser "veil." But I don't really believe it's a veil, it's just that they sound muddy and lack details. While the dynahi can't cure the illnesses of the 650s, they do reduce them alot.

For whatever reason the combo of benchmark and dynahi doesn't add up, it seems to multiply. It's sum seems to be worth more than the added parts.

I liked the sound of the HE-60's but it didn't seem to be quite the level of eric's set up. But I do believe that could be due to the limitation of the amp. But nonetheless it does seem to be worth every penny and more.

But to be honest, that's all I listened to because I just woke up and didn't eat yet.

So now what I want most is a benchmark, dynahi, and iPod.

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 22
Really sorry I didn't make it - with wonderfully bad timing, it suddenly transpired yesterday was the One And Only Day I could go and pick up my replacement monitor from Purolator (mine broke), so I was stuck doing that. In addition, the conversation with my boyfriend about it went roughly like this:

BF: So, what can you actually do at this meeting thing?
Me: Try out other people's ridiculously expensive headphones.
BF: And then?
Me: Probably want to buy them myself.
BF: ...you're not going.

smily_headphones1.gif
I'll try and make it to the Big Meet, when that happens. Apologies again! Sounds like everyone had a blast even without me, I'm frankly amazed and a little disappointed.
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for hosting the meet, Trevor. There were some very nice phones there: (in no particular order) the Baby Os, the R10s, W2002. I think I like the R10s most. The music seems to kind of leap out with them on. The W2002s are a phone I'd be happy with too, maybe when I'm in a more laid back mood.

I'm a big fan of the Benchmark DAC-1. It performed well as a headphone amp - maybe a bit brighter than the PPA, which was very soothing at this meet. The Dynahi had a lively sound, but not bright. I could feel the treble energy, but not worry about sibilance. Transients were great on this dynahi amped system whether it was with Sony R10, or ATw2002. Well done Kevin Gilmore, and thanks again, Trevor, for bringing this project out west. I like the look of your new enclosures. The screws fit nicely too. There's not one thing about them that I would say looks like.ass.

But most of all, I love the carrots and dip. On an A-B comparison test, I found that I enjoyed the music more while munching on the carrots than when not eating them. That was a joke btw
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 22
zoobo: but did you try a blind test with a bowl of placebo carrots made from tofu?
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 22
Well there were some Skittles and Smarties, but I was too lazy to eat and listen at the same time most of the time. That's pretty bad eh?

I forgot to mention that Carbonman brought his Beyer 880s to the meet too. I regret not giving them a listen, but it was nice to see these sharp phones in the err flesh.

One highlight worth mentioning is the R10 driven from an ipod. I know Natsuiro's friend liked it, and I enjoyed it too. A brief comparison of the ipod vs my iRiver H120 showed a warmer yet clean and detailed sound on the ipod. My iRiver was a bit sharper sounding, but surprisingly this mates well with the CD3000s.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 22
Yes...the R10-Ipod combination is the best I have heard without using an amp. I've always wondered about the 880s....so glad I was able to hear it along with the maxed out PPA that Carbonman brought. The Beyers, in my opinion, sounded like ER4p in detail, but are not nearly as neutral as the ety's. They were not harsh by any means, but there was a noticable coloration. The 880s had more bass than the ety's and were quite transparent. They were a very nice set of cans overall.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh...I forgot to mention the extreme comfort of the Beyers -- those pads are awesome.

Feb 5, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 22
Hey all, I know I'm a little late writing up for the meet but you know how life gets. Anyways, I got there and met Trevor and his girlfriend who are two of the nicest people I've met in a long time. All the guys were cool and it was comforting to know I'm not the only headphone noob out there. Trevor showed us his Dynahi and explained some of the details about building amps and how the dynahi differs from previous generations of amps (ie. ppa, pimeta etc.)

Having only owned the senn 600's for about 2 days before going to the meet and not owning an amp, I got spoiled QUICKLY. Trevor had an absolutely sick setup. He had a cheap-o CD player used just as a digital out to a Benchmark DAC1, then using these $1400 interconnects he was borrowing to the TrevorNetwork Dynahi with Stepped Attenuator. Carbonman also brought out his maxed out PPA. As for cans, we had the R10's, w2002's, senn 580's, senn 600's, beyer 831's, and beyer 880's and the Baby O.

Now before I describe my impressions of the headphones I was using, I should again qualify this by saying I'd only listened to my senn 600's for the last couple days before that through a home stereo receiver and before that I was using cheap-o $5 headphones my girlfriend grabbed in hong kong.
I only brought over a DVD of mp3's which I never got a chance to listen to cuz we didn't have the setup for it, so I was stuck using other people's music. I tried the R10's outta the dynahi first because they were the most expensive of the bunch and I pretty underwhelmed by their total lack of bottom end, as many young head-fi'ers such as myself have claimed. Having listened a little longer I started to hear the amount of detail in the upper end but I was pretty underwhelmed for $3000 headphones. I also tried the Baby O and felt pretty much exactly about them as the R10's except that the decay was unreal! I'd read about decay before but never really experienced it until listening to the Baby O's. I went back to the Dynahi and tried the w2002's and was totally blown away. The w2002's had a very full sound and were so musical. When I listen to music, I tend to listen for lower-mids/upper-bass if that makes any sense... not 20-30Hz pounding bass, but a warm sound signature. Through the Dynahi, the sound was so alive and listening to anything became this incredibly engaging and emotional experience. Switching between the Dynahi and Carbonman's maxed PPA (valued at approx $1000 new) was night and day. The PPA just sounded lifeless, flat, and the emotional almost religious experience was gone when compared to the Dynahi. I mean so disrespect to Carbonman and his gear but this is just my personal experience. When comparing the Senn 600's withe the AT-w2002's, I immediately heard the Sennheiser "veil". Compared to the 2002's, the Senn's didn't sound nearly as warm, withdrawn, but also like they had no musicality to them. I could hear each of the seperate instruments in the music, but they sounded just that... seperate. However, the w2002's brought all these elements together and with more detail than the 600's. To the senn's credit, when they're used with the dynahi I'd say 90% of the senn veil disappeared and made them very very significantly more like the detailed, warm sound signature of the w2002's. If you are a big senn's fan you OWE it to yourself to try these with the Dynahi, I can simply not overstate how incredible they sound in comparison even with a maxed out PPA.

Considering Trevor was selling his 2002's, I tossed and turned about spending so much on cans, especially after just buying the 600's but in the end my girlfriend told me I should buy them because I made her audition them with the dynahi vs. ppa and also 2002's vs. senn 600's. When your girlfriend tells you to spend 900 bucks (US of course) on cans, that's when you know the w2002's are some of the sexiest cans ever made. Props to my gf for getting me to buy these and reminding me what the world's sexiest cans really are.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyways, much love to Trevor and Lee-Anna for hosting such a great event and it was great to meet people in the head-fi community. It was way way way more fun than either I or my gf expected and I find it really sad that TrevorNetwork has been banned from the head-fi community (so I heard from Trevor anyways). Truly the head-fi community's loss.

P.S. Food for thought for all you dynahi buyers out there, it's really odd to me at least that Veda Audio can sell a Dynahi with Stepped Attenuator for 949 (http://www.gurushankar.com/14255/14349.html). I think Trevor's selling them for around 1600 (prices not up there anymore but used to be up at www.dynahi.com). And HeadAmp is selling a Dynahi with a stepped attenuator for 1799 (http://www.headamp.com/dynahi.shtml). I mean, I'm no builder, but based on simple economics, we could theorize that Veda Audio's product must have significantly lower product quality, or he's building the same product quality as the other two builders but doing so somehow at a ridiculously lower cost level... Or the other two builders are ripping everybody off and Veda Audio is providing the true bargain... just food for thought...

Feb 5, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 22
just to reiterate all of what dylan has already said, thank you soo soo much to trevor and lee-anna for inviting us over and having lots of munchies (mmm...carrots) and drinks and being so hospitable. i was a little hesitant about the meet in the first place...gosh, making fun of dyl for weeks about his little "geek meet", but it was fabulous. those 2002's were phenomenal and i don't think i've ever seen a boy so happy before...*sigh*

thanks again t&l.
m.

(and if anyone needs me to smuggle anything across the border for them, just let me know
tongue.gif
)

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 22
Does anybody have pics of the meet?

Feb 6, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamsmrt
Anyways, much love to Trevor and Lee-Anna for hosting such a great event and it was great to meet people in the head-fi community. It was way way way more fun than either I or my gf expected and I find it really sad that TrevorNetwork has been banned from the head-fi community (so I heard from Trevor anyways). Truly the head-fi community's loss.

P.S. Food for thought for all you dynahi buyers out there, it's really odd to me at least that Veda Audio can sell a Dynahi with Stepped Attenuator for 949 (http://www.gurushankar.com/14255/14349.html). I think Trevor's selling them for around 1600 (prices not up there anymore but used to be up at www.dynahi.com). And HeadAmp is selling a Dynahi with a stepped attenuator for 1799 (http://www.headamp.com/dynahi.shtml). I mean, I'm no builder, but based on simple economics, we could theorize that Veda Audio's product must have significantly lower product quality, or he's building the same product quality as the other two builders but doing so somehow at a ridiculously lower cost level... Or the other two builders are ripping everybody off and Veda Audio is providing the true bargain... just food for thought...

I'd just like to chime in on this. I also agree that it's sad that Trevornetwork got banned because I do believe that he's a good guy and the advice seems to be on the mark for the whole bit.
Anyways about the Dynahis, I think it's hard to talk about prices because while all three are selling the same product, they are very different. if you bought a dyanhi with a SA from each, you would probably get different things since most likely they'll use different parts.
What I mean to say is that it's possible to be another situtation than the who you suggested. It's possible that all three offer a product at a fair price... not that two are overpricing, or that one has lower product quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back