Burn In?
Nov 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

aorbinati

New Head-Fier
I know there are many postings on "burn in", but there seems to be a fair deal of contradiction on this topic. As a budding headphone enthusiast, what exactly do I need to burn in? Or is it simply not necessary?

Thanks for your help!
AO

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm of the opinion that burn is a psychological reaction, basically becoming more accustomed to a headphone/component. Even if there is mechanical burn in, I would advocate for letting it burn in on your head
smily_headphones1.gif
No reason to wait for a headphone to mature, enjoy it at all stages!

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 17
The thing about burn-in is, it is very hard to do A-B comparison, so I really not sure if the "100 hrs" sound is different from the first hour, OR just that my ears get accustomed to the sound signature after some time.

UNLESS, I have one 100 hours version and one 1 hour version which I will call myself crazy to have 2 set of the same model :D

Well, I have 2x SE530  :D but balance armature is said that burn-in is not required.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 17
One, should "Burn-in" any new equipment by just turning everything on and listen!!!.....Enjoy your new gear, no matter what piece "it" is.......life's to short to wait until someone has told you about the Burn-In time needed.....Will it sound better with time, of course.......ENJOY!!

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 17
Don't bother, just listen. I've never had a piece of gear sound bad right out of the box. Just listen and enjoy.

I do leave electronic components on for 72 hours or so after I first get them. This is not to "burn in." If something is going to suffer infant mortality, it'll show up in the first few days of use. That's always within the warranty period, too. If something is going to die, it usually kicks off early on. I don't bother with headphones/speakers, though, since they're usually very stable if they work right at first.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
The thing about burn-in is, it is very hard to do A-B comparison, so I really not sure if the "100 hrs" sound is different from the first hour, OR just that my ears get accustomed to the sound signature after some time.

UNLESS, I have one 100 hours version and one 1 hour version which I will call myself crazy to have 2 set of the same model :D

Well, I have 2x SE530  :D but balance armature is said that burn-in is not required.

Exactly.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
I know there are many postings on "burn in", but there seems to be a fair deal of contradiction on this topic. As a budding headphone enthusiast, what exactly do I need to burn in? Or is it simply not necessary?

Thanks for your help!
AO

You need to use the search function and read or just let everyone tell you how your own ears work.  

Is there an option to ignore keywords or thread topics?  

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Don't bother, just listen. I've never had a piece of gear sound bad right out of the box. Just listen and enjoy.

I'm afraid I had one, Bayers DT990/250 (think it was 2010 model).
out of the box sounded horrible, muffled and distant.
Did not believe that any burn in would help it, and returned them the next day.
Then was wondering what are all these exciting reviews based on?

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 17

You need to use the search function and read or just let everyone tell you how your own ears work.  

Is there an option to ignore keywords or thread topics?

My friend, perhaps some of us don't have the time to read through a trillion posts on the topic of "burn in", and would rather ask the question and get a few thoughtful and informative responses.

Your response was neither informative nor thoughtful, and to be honest...just plain rude. I thought you would have realized that after 4,200 posts.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 17
Sometimes burn in helps, sometimes burn in does not help. I use the Isotek disc and tricky albums regarding their sound. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 17
I typically do burn in because of all the things people have said. In most cases it does sound better to me but its probably all in my head or I had started to get used to the sound signature. If it really does work, burning them in might not be a bad idea.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 17
I have heard some ugly sounding headphones that were transformed and some headphones that sounded good as they were. You never know until you find one that changes...

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 17
All the fun in this hobby is finding out for yourself.  Me, and my findings, conclude that burn in is real, and that some people are just grumpy in all aspects of life. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back