Burn In?
Jul 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 14
Jul 11, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiRider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought some RE2's and want to know about burn in. I'm a complete novice so I need to what audio source I should use, time length, and volume.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pin...urning-215556/

Strike one.

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no evidence that any extended burn in is necessary or helpful. Just start listening to the music and enjoying yourself.

Oh jeez here we go again... A little burning in won't hurt, whether or not it does anything.

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh jeez here we go again... A little burning in won't hurt

Sure it will. It will take away time when you could have been enjoying the music it can provide. Admittedly that's not very much harm, but I bought headphones to listen to music through, and it earns it's worth by playing music to me.

And it will also mean it will take you yourself longer to learn to enjoy the sound the headphone makes. No headphone is anywhere near perfect and we ourselves must adapt to their sound to get the most out of them. If the phones meet a decent standard then our listening experience will improve as we listen to them. We can't learn to adapt to their sound when we aren't listening to them.

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 14
I'd say burn in exists, the ibuds do it.. they really opened up then shortly after died. My Hd 212s sounded different after quite a few hours of use (i'm not good with the technical terms).

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure it will. It will take away time when you could have been enjoying the music it can provide. Admittedly that's not very much harm, but I bought headphones to listen to music through, and it earns it's worth by playing music to me.

but even if it makes a slight difference, sacraficing your earphones for a weekend is no biggie - thats a bit like saying I've bought a new pair of shoes and I want to enjoy every blister as I break them in.
I take your point and you are very right about getting used to the music and adapting to the headphones as they adapt themselves but if OP wants to burn them in he's obv. willing to avail their services for a short time to do so, therefore there is no actual physical harm to the phones themselves.
And besides..burn in can be comprised of music listening too...listen to music through them when you need to, and when you don't, like when you're asleep..pink noise 'em
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 14
My burning-in IS listening to them, I popped my IE8's into my ear right when i got them out of the over-engineered box and listened to them for 6 hours straight, and left them playing overnight. I don't leave them sitting there playing music during the day, I use them.

I don't see how there is any harm in that.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 14
I just bought some RE2's and want to know about burn in. I'm a complete novice so I need to what audio source I should use, time length, and volume.
The only burn in is between the ears. Just use and enjoy. Your brain will adjust accordingly :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 14

The only burn in is between the ears. Just use and enjoy. Your brain will adjust accordingly :)
your advice comes 11 years late :)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 14
your advice comes 11 years late :)
Ooops I didn't notice until you said it.

OTOH by now the OP should be able to report whether he needed burn in or not :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back