Burn-In
Feb 25, 2008 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been burning my K701s in since I joined. My dad told me I should just listen to them already, but he just doesn't understand the importance of burn-in on sound quality. I'm just being wise with my money, I want the best bang for my buck.

Do you think a little over a year is enough for the sound to open up? I was told that the longer I burn in the more treble impact, throbbing bass and liquid mids I'll get. I don't want to be too hasty. My amp is the RSA AUDIO HORNET, if that makes a difference. Also, does pink noise really burn in better? I don't like the color pink so I used blue noise instead.

Thanks.

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 26
I think you're about to invent the headphone burn-out.
cool.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 26
I heard that purple noise is best!

And a year for burn-in is nothing. I have phones that I've been burning in for 3+ years, and I do hope to listen to them before we change presidents again.

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 26
i like to burn them in as i listen to them, theres a differance between burning the headphones with static and burning them in with the music styles you like, kind of like a generic made headphones vs something thats been customized by your own touch,

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been burning my K701s in since I joined. My dad told me I should just listen to them already, but he just doesn't understand the importance of burn-in on sound quality. I'm just being wise with my money, I want the best bang for my buck.

Do you think a little over a year is enough for the sound to open up? I was told that the longer I burn in the more treble impact, throbbing bass and liquid mids I'll get. I don't want to be too hasty. My amp is the RSA AUDIO HORNET, if that makes a difference. Also, does pink noise really burn in better? I don't like the color pink so I used blue noise instead.

Thanks.

you gotta make sure that your source and hornet also have 2500+ hours of burn-in as well.
rolleyes.gif
if they didnt have 2500+ hours of burn-in's, your k701 burn-in was for nothing.
rolleyes.gif
start burning-in again!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 26
This thread... is a joke... right??

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 26
I tried the blue noise, but it made my blacks more of a violet. You can offset that with green noise, but that takes about 1,800 hours before you hear a difference.

Have you tried the garden hose mod yet?

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you gotta make sure that your source and hornet also have 2500+ hours of burn-in as well.
rolleyes.gif
if they didnt have 2500+ hours of burn-in's, your k701 burn-in was for nothing.
rolleyes.gif
start burning-in again!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I don't believe in source burn-in. Headphones are one thing, but that's just insanity. Is my CD player going to somehow adapt and start reading binary more efficiently?

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the blue noise, but it made my blacks more of a violet. You can offset that with green noise, but that takes about 1,800 hours before you hear a difference.

Yes, the garden hose mod will do wonders for you!

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never heard of green noise. There seem to be a few different definitions of this on the internet, could you specify?

Also, I've never heard of the garden hose mod. Elaborate.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 26
I'm subscribing to this hilarious thread. It made me laugh right from the start. Bravo.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back