"Burn In"? Try Flood In!
Sep 20, 2006 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

placebo_lu

New Head-Fier
This is a tale which has turned out for the best but very, very nearly did not.

My (now ex) girlfriend and I were not going so well. We had a fight. She decided that she would do whatever she could that would hurt me the most, so she picked up my ATH-A900s (which I bought maybe a month ago) and put them in the sink and filled up them up with water.

This was more than marginally distressing. I managed to rip them out of her hands after a couple of seconds, but I feared the worst. Electrical equipment plus water is never a good equation.

It turns out, miraculously, that they still work.

Not only do they work, I think they might sound better.

Now, that could simply be a psychological reaction to being so close to losing them, but maybe this warrants further testing.

Burn in is a thing of the past. Flood in your headphones!!

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 21
That's definitely a new one. A deserves its own T-Shirt.
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 21
electronics can generally do well if they have been put in non salt water. As long as you let them dry, as to not short them when you plug it in, you'd be surprised what can go through water and still come out ok.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 21
There were some rumors that your earphone - such as Sony 888, Sennheiser MX500, etc etc.... will sound better if you put them in a boiling water....

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
There were some rumors that your earphone - such as Sony 888, Sennheiser MX500, etc etc.... will sound better if you put them in a boiling water....

I heard it was boiling vegetable oil...and that they'll taste better...

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by placebo_lu
My (now ex) girlfriend and I were not going so well. We had a fight. She decided that she would do whatever she could that would hurt me the most, so she picked up my ATH-A900s (which I bought maybe a month ago) and put them in the sink and filled up them up with water.

Wow. That really is cruel for her to do that!

Could have been worse though, she could have sunk your whole system
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless
I heard it was boiling vegetable oil...and that they'll taste better...

batter-dipped?

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 21
well there are people who literally freeze their system

such as interconnector cables or headphones like RS-1

at a extremely cold temperature....

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 21
My crt monitor was dipped in water to be cleaned, along with my keyboards and mice. Two weeks later they dried and worked perfectly. In my pc tweaking days I did a mod where I would dip my computer (except PSU) into vegetable oil and run it (for cooling purposes) and it would go for days and never short out. Then I tried the same when someone suggested johnsons baby shampoo. Also works. Cooled much better than watercooler..by far.

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
My crt monitor was dipped in water to be cleaned, along with my keyboards and mice. Two weeks later they dried and worked perfectly. In my pc tweaking days I did a mod where I would dip my computer (except PSU) into vegetable oil and run it (for cooling purposes) and it would go for days and never short out. Then I tried the same when someone suggested johnsons baby shampoo. Also works. Cooled much better than watercooler..by far.

Except that vegetable oil will start to rot and congeal and baby oil, being a perfumed cosmetic oil, will gradually corrode your pc parts.

If you want to try out the oil submersion cooling you really need to use mechanical or military grade filtered inert oil.

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
If you want to try out the oil submersion cooling you really need to use mechanical or military grade filtered inert oil.

Or maybe even motor oil

Back: that was very rude of her. Why did she do that? Did you at least burn half her wardrobe?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Except that vegetable oil will start to rot and congeal and baby oil, being a perfumed cosmetic oil, will gradually corrode your pc parts.

Too late... I knew there was an end to this, and after running the shampoo setup (the oil setup I just trashed after I realized it started smelling when I dumped all the oil out) for nearly seven weeks, the computer started to freeze up more and more until some point it shorted out. I guess the chemicals changed or something corroded like you said. Heh.. Yea I guess I should have used some nasa grade guaranteed non ionizing liquid but the medium would have cost more than those scavenged pc parts did..

Did you tell her (even subconsiously via body language) that she was ugly???

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
Did you tell her (even subconsiously via body language) that she was ugly???

'Cause she was, you know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back