Burn-in times for AD8620, 8610, etc. opamps
Feb 17, 2010 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

headfone

Banned
Now known as alphaman
I'm experimenting with AD8620 and 10s for the first time. I've been burning them in for about 30 hours but they still sound way too "loud". I actually prefer forward, "lively" SQ to "warm" and "laid back" (aka Burr-Brown). But I'm not sure how much further the AD8620s will "quiet down".
Please share your experience on these models or the burn-in topic in general.
Thx!

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 24
Not many people believe in burn-in for opamps. Caps, drivers, tubes make a notable difference - but solid-state devices don't really burn in. Nothing changes chemically or electrically - measurably and (for most people) audibly - in silicon circuits. Even if anyone claimed they could hear a difference, 30 hours should be plenty.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD8620 should be bright and forward, especially the AR(Z) series.

Care to explain the "especially the AR(Z) series"?

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 24
I have the 8620/8610 in my Pimeta. IMO, even assuming burn-in is purely psychological, burn-in won't occur with this op-amp. Still sounds very detailed/edgy/analytical to me, even after two years of listening to it. I'm convinced it's just the way it sounds and you either like it or you don't. Personally I like it in small doses, but for extended listening periods I usually choose something else from the arsenal.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to explain the "especially the AR(Z) series"?

The BRZ sounds a bit warmer and smooth to me. I've got both in my collection and compared them in the DAC filter/buffer section.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 24
About 1000 hours.
wink_face.gif

MOAR BURN-IN!!!!

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not many people believe in burn-in for opamps. Caps, drivers, tubes make a notable difference - but solid-state devices don't really burn in. Nothing changes chemically or electrically - measurably and (for most people) audibly - in silicon circuits. Even if anyone claimed they could hear a difference, 30 hours should be plenty.

Capacitors are a "solid-state device"
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 24
I believe that your hearing is a chemical process after the conversion of the sound pressure waves to electrical pules in the inner ear. Being a chemical process, hearing is influenced by hormonal changes or chemical imbalances.

Is it possible that "hearing memory" is compared to the present state of hearing, which may or may not be the same based on present "chemical state" in your body, and the results may be perceived as different even though it is the same signal?

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 24
I'm a huge believer in burn-in. The more the better
wink.gif
I don't give any of my new gear a critical listen until at least 40 hours have gone by.

Totally subjective opinion though, until more research is done on the what happens to components over time on an "electron cloud" level of theory.

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct, I should have been more specific and said "solid-state integrated circuits".

But then, when is an integrated circuit not solid-state?
wink.gif

But yeah, I don't think IC's 'burn-in' at all, if you don't like how it sounds now, that won't likely change.

[size=xx-small]PS: Ok, maybe motions sensors and acelerometer IC's aren't really solid-state...[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back