Burn in necessary?
Dec 19, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 14
Just listen. Skip the ritual and ceremony.

I've never deliberately "broken in" headphones and am not any worse off. I've enjoyed my headphones from day one.

I've taken my headphones to a few meets and no one has ever suggested that there was improper or incomplete "burn in" for them.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnesses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the d2000 and re0. Is burn in necessary? Or can I burn in the 'phones by just regularly listening to them?

Jnesses, I think you should opt for the second one. "burn in the 'phones by just regularly listening to them"

That's what I did with my Grado SR60. I was able to tell the sound differences from day 1 up to day 100 or more. And I enjoy paying attention to the details of the sound it added day by day. The sound quality is exponentially increasing.

Welcome to the world of "burn-in" of headphones.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just listen. Skip the ritual and ceremony.

I've never deliberately "broken in" headphones and am not any worse off. I've enjoyed my headphones from day one.

+1. Just listen and if there is a change, hooray. Whether that's burn in or your brain changing or both is irrelevant in the end.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Burn in does make that different but if you dont serious just listen is a good way to enjoy your new headphone.
But again Burn-in does make that improvement..

Just IMO and my experience
Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1. Just listen and if there is a change, hooray. Whether that's burn in or your brain changing or both is irrelevant in the end.

Wisdom, IMO.
k701smile.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 14
Obligatory link. All under the motto of "please read before posting". And I agree with the others: just listen to them.

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I did with my Grado SR60. I was able to tell the sound differences from day 1 up to day 100 or more. And I enjoy paying attention to the details of the sound it added day by day. The sound quality is exponentially increasing.

I bow at the feet of one with such great ears.
confused_face.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 14
When I had my D5000's they sounded great from day one. I'd recommend just using them and enjoying them. Don't hang on to the distracting thought that you're missing something by listening to them straight away. If you think so, then your preoccupation with it will make you miss something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 14
I bought some AKG K702 and Beyer DT880 within a few days of each other.
I compared them to my Senn HD650 & HD600.
Both K702 & DT880 were shrill and totally lacking bass.
I let the burn in for about 80 hours before testing them again.
Most of the shrillness had disappeared on both cans.
After about 100 hours they were much better. Trebly, but not shrill. The bass had improved remarkably, but naturally not to the Senn's level.
I still have them both, but if I didn't expect them to change I firstly would never have bought them. And secondly I would have either returned them or sold them off after the first listen.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought some AKG K702 and Beyer DT880 within a few days of each other.
I compared them to my Senn HD650 & HD600.
Both K702 & DT880 were shrill and totally lacking bass.
I let the burn in for about 80 hours before testing them again.
Most of the shrillness had disappeared on both cans.
After about 100 hours they were much better. Trebly, but not shrill. The bass had improved remarkably, but naturally not to the Senn's level.
I still have them both, but if I didn't expect them to change I firstly would never have bought them. And secondly I would have either returned them or sold them off after the first listen.

I was very close to purchasing an AKG 702. My main concern with it is the bass response. I had enjoyed my HD650's and then got Denons. The bassy Denon presentation has been more to my liking, though the Grado sound made for a better compromise. The Ed8 sound has been the most enjoyable for me so far and there's no doubt that its bass presentation has a lot to do with it. My interest in the AKG 702 has all but disappeared now. Not unless I got a chance to hear them first and that's very unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back